Park Place | River Oaks: Mixed-Use Development At Westheimer Rd. & Mid Ln.

lockmat

On 11/16/2022 at 7:14 PM, 004n063 said:

Read the proposal, love the proposal. But...what is the realistic likelihood of any of it actually happening?

There are actually a few projects utilizing utility ROWs that are in-progress or done, so I’d say the likelihood is probably pretty high!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 11.11.48 AM

They're moving fast on this development! It's interesting that half the building will be parking . 😅 is anyone else curious how traffic will play out. This area is getting pretty dense for what seems like a pretty narrow street? Also, I doubt the street can be widen anymore. Maybe, the city needs to start on that trail sooner than later. I know "the average employee wont be biking/ walking to work," but even if it's only 10 people out of 100, it's still less cars on the road. Imagine living at Lenox Oaks/ West U/ Bellaire near the tracks and biking for 10-15 minutes instead of a 30 minute drive during rush hour 🤷‍♂️

Biking from the Heights seems like a stretch unless it's for exercise.

However, I feel like most of our traffic is West/East instead of North/South, so we definitely need to discuss a bike route from Westchase to the Galleria area. I remember reading somewhere that TxDOT was planning a bike route on the Westpark utility row? 

• Like 4

Based on the renders, they are doing their level best to disguise the parking floors behind glass. I'm still surprised at the appetite for building office space when there is now a nationwide trend by companies to consolidate into smaller spaces. We'll just have to see if bosses are dead serious about bringing their workers back into the office full-time...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toxtethogrady said:

Based on the renders, they are doing their level best to disguise the parking floors behind glass. I'm still surprised at the appetite for building office space when there is now a nationwide trend by companies to consolidate into smaller spaces. We'll just have to see if bosses are dead serious about bringing their workers back into the office full-time...

because new space with up-to-date amenities in prime locations will always trump older facilities and older amenities or no amenities. I don't expect the work at home trend to last much longer once companies downsize due to the likelihood of a recession, and the first people that will be cut are people that refuse to work at the office. Its a fantasy to think work from home in all cases in a bloated economy, and a workforce at full employment that work from home would be the "normal". You only get away with that during good times when no matter what you do even if you are a zombie company you still make money. When times get tough, and they will soon, the most expendable will lose out and those are people who make the most demands while at the same time not making the most tangible contribution to a company. Same even with office space. There is a lot of spec office stock, but once you really look at location, age, and amenities most of that freed up space isn't real, and the actual number is more in line with where the actual need is.

42 minutes ago, Luminare said:

I don't expect the work at home trend to last much longer once companies downsize due to the likelihood of a recession,

That may be your experience, but I don't think that's universal.  There are as many different circumstances out there as there are companies.

The healthcare company I work for, for example, is happy that people went home.  It didn't have enough room for all of its employees, which is why I was sent to work from home even before the pandemic. 

Now that the majority of the employees are work-from-home, its selling the office complex it owned, and using the money to build two new medical complexes, one with new executive offices on the top floor.  Anyone who doesn't touch a patient, or isn't a high-level exec, will remain work-from-home.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Amlaham said:

so we definitely need to discuss a bike route from Westchase to the Galleria area. I remember reading somewhere that TxDOT was planning a bike route on the Westpark utility row? 

That (well, Richmond/Wheeler from Dunvale to La Branch) is my current bike commute, so I'd sure be happy with something a little less terrifying (that doesn't involve going six miles out of my way through Memorial Park and Rice Military) along or parallel to that route. 

As far as I can tell, though, the closest we are going to get to that is the pedestrian realm improvements along the University Line BRT route. If done right, the BRT will make a bigger difference than any bike path, but for the area we're talking about, a path parallel to the train tracks would be a big help for multimodal connectivity.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Amlaham said:

is anyone else curious how traffic will play out. This area is getting pretty dense for what seems like a pretty narrow street? Also, I doubt the street can be widen anymore. Maybe, the city needs to start on that trail sooner than later.

Traffic is challenging along that stretch of Westheimer. It's tolerable during non-rush hour, and %#$@ during rush hour. And the entire area has more traffic during the Holiday season, making it even more fun (PS: <- sarcasm). I speak from experience, as I live on Westheimer.

It can't be widened, there are stores/offices/buildings that come right up to the street easements.

What trail are you referring to?

Edited by astrohip
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, astrohip said:

Traffic is challenging along that stretch of Westheimer. It's tolerable during non-rush hour, and %#$@ during rush hour. And the entire area has more traffic during the Holiday season, making it even more fun (PS: <- sarcasm). I speak from experience, as I live on Westheimer.

It can't be widened, there are stores/offices/buildings that come right up to the street easements.

What trail are you referring to?

The one along the train tracks from memorial park and southward!

• Like 2

the new route that you had to take (until this up coming weekend) from the running center to the picnic loop forced you to bike south down the dirt road behind the run center along the train tracks to then the trails in the woods etc to get to the picnic loop...i didn't mind doing that too much as i love the trails....but yes i live directly across from the galleria and realized the hard way that the dirt road along the train tracks doesn't go anywhere when heading further southbound past the trails in the woods (except to a dead end)...so yes i agree...make that go all the way through, and an actual bike path instead of a dirt/gravel road would be awesome.  

ps...just a reminder that the all new path and land bridges open this weekend at memorial park with events all saturday and sunday! 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 12:31 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Does anyone have insight as to whether or not Atlanta chef Ford Fry is leasing space in the Park Place River Oaks development?

I noticed the entity Park Place Houston Little Rey, LLC registered last month.

Little Rey is a casual Tex-Mex inspired restaurant focused on wood-roasted meats. The menu is mostly composed of tacos and Mexican beers.

https://www.littlerey.com/

Signs are up on the fencing. Confirms Little Rey will be going into the standalone restaurant building that has just broken ground.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gene said:

the new route that you had to take (until this up coming weekend) from the running center to the picnic loop forced you to bike south down the dirt road behind the run center along the train tracks to then the trails in the woods etc to get to the picnic loop...i didn't mind doing that too much as i love the trails....but yes i live directly across from the galleria and realized the hard way that the dirt road along the train tracks doesn't go anywhere when heading further southbound past the trails in the woods (except to a dead end)...so yes i agree...make that go all the way through, and an actual bike path instead of a dirt/gravel road would be awesome.  

ps...just a reminder that the all new path and land bridges open this weekend at memorial park with events all saturday and sunday! 

Sadly it looks like they've pushed the grand opening to sometime next year

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, emmanume said:

Sadly it looks like they've pushed the grand opening to sometime next year

i just saw that and was coming here to post!!! sad news for sure...but so looking forward to when it happens!

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/houston/2022/12/01/438440/grand-opening-of-land-bridge-at-houstons-memorial-park-postponed-until-2023/

Thats a little misleading when you say next year, because there are only 25 days in 2022.

I seemed to have seen somewhere that it will be early in the new year. This has been a very well run project so far and I think that anyone who is complaining should just think about some of the projects we've watched over the years take two and three times as long as originally projected. If you haven't been out to see what has already been accomplished you need to go admire what has been an incredible transformation. Look back just 5 years ago when the park had lost thousands of trees. It will be well worth the wait.

• Like 4

On 12/5/2022 at 9:40 PM, Ns1021 said:

Signs are up on the fencing. Confirms Little Rey will be going into the standalone restaurant building that has just broken ground.

Thanks for confirming! Hopefully, Ford Fry's Little Rey will find success in Houston. My understanding is the restaurant is the casual off-shoot of Superica, Rocket Farm Restaurants' Tex-Mex concept. 

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have insight as to whether or not Atlanta chef Ford Fry is leasing space in the Park Place River Oaks development?

Little Rey is a casual Tex-Mex inspired restaurant focused on wood-roasted meats. The menu is mostly composed of tacos and Mexican beers.

A banner announcing chef Ford Fry's Little Rey restaurant in the Park Place River Oaks Development.

The photo was posted yesterday in BuiltNearby's Instagram story.

Y5duRkK.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

awesome! what a kooky little spot for a stand alone restaurant...as i loved that whole grassy area with chairs etc for everyone and always thought it was cool to see people out there enjoying that whole space... but love that whole development/area...do you work at Park Place? 

Edited by gene

This will do well here. The area needs more casual spots and Bosscat is not it (is Liberty Kitchen still around… somehow even worse). The grass space was nice but too big. Lots of folks just letting their fur mutts run wild. 

1 minute ago, LBC2HTX said:

Edited by LBC2HTX

• 2 months later...

On 11/5/2021 at 7:49 PM, Highrise Tower said:

Park Place Restaurant. New 1 story building at 2345 Mid Lane.

SUPw6yX.png

On 12/7/2022 at 9:08 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Thanks for confirming! Hopefully, Ford Fry's Little Rey will find success in Houston. My understanding is the restaurant is the casual off-shoot of Superica, Rocket Farm Restaurants' Tex-Mex concept. 

On 12/16/2022 at 8:06 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

A banner announcing chef Ford Fry's Little Rey restaurant in the Park Place River Oaks Development.

The photo was posted yesterday in BuiltNearby's Instagram story.

Y5duRkK.jpg

An architectural barriers project for Little Rey was filed today with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR). The restaurant  is the casual off-shoot of Superica, Rocket Farm Restaurants' Tex-Mex concept.

Chef Ford Fry's latest Houston restaurant will be located at 2345 Mid Lane at the Park Place River Oaks development. Michael Hsu Office of Architecture is designing the restaurant.

Details from the filing:

• Start Date: 6/24/2023

• Completion Date: 12/13/2023

• Estimated Cost: $2,000,000

• Type of Work: New Construction

• Scope of Work:  Interior build-out of a commercial kitchen & dining room. No modification to exterior will be made other than adding & replacing some exterior light fixtures. Patio development consist of FF&E scope & adding of the TABE railing framing the patio.

• Square Footage: 7,416 sf

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/Print/TABS2023016819

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/5/2021 at 7:49 PM, Highrise Tower said:

SUPw6yX.png

On 4/18/2023 at 11:20 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

An architectural barriers project for Little Rey was filed today with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR). The restaurant  is the casual off-shoot of Superica, Rocket Farm Restaurants' Tex-Mex concept.

Chef Ford Fry's latest Houston restaurant will be located at 2345 Mid Lane at the Park Place River Oaks development. Michael Hsu Office of Architecture is designing the restaurant.

Details from the filing:

• Scope of Work:  Interior build-out of a commercial kitchen & dining room. No modification to exterior will be made other than adding & replacing some exterior light fixtures. Patio development consist of FF&E scope & adding of the TABE railing framing the patio.

Houston Chronicle and CultureMap are finally reporting on Little Rey. This comes nearly five months after a coming soon banner for the restaurant went up at 2345 Mid Lane on the Park Place River Oaks grounds.

According to a press release received by both publications, Little Rey is aiming to open in early 2024.

Other details from the Houston Chronicle article:

"Michael Hsu Office of Architecture is in charge of designing the roughly 7,000-square-foot space, which includes a sprawling patio... The interior will be built out with reclaimed wood and accented with pink, blue and sage hues for a rustic-yet-casual feel."

There will also be "a walk-up window, called Uno Mas.. to order more drinks, desserts... and takeout orders."

Little Rey is a casual Tex-Mex and Mexican inspired restaurant from Ford Fry's Rocket Farms Restaurants.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/little-rey-houston-mexican-tex-mex-opening-soon-18090992.php

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Houston Chronicle and CultureMap are finally reporting on Little Rey. This comes nearly five months after a coming soon banner for the restaurant went up at Park Place River Oaks.

According to a press release received by both publications, Little Rey is aiming to open in early 2024.

"Michael Hsu Office of Architecture is in charge of designing the roughly 7,000-square-foot space, which includes a sprawling patio... The interior will be built out with reclaimed wood and accented with pink, blue and sage hues for a rustic-yet-casual feel."

There will also be "a walk-up window, called Uno Mas.. to order more drinks, desserts... and takeout orders."

Little Rey is a casual Tex-Mex and Mexican inspired restaurant from Ford Fry's Rocket Farms Restaurants.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/little-rey-houston-mexican-tex-mex-opening-soon-18090992.php

A rendering of Little Rey's forthcoming Houston location. The restaurant will be located at Park Place River Oaks. 2345 Mid Lane is the address.

The rendering was included in press release materials distributed to local news publications.

D5tqOZo.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/5/2021 at 8:49 PM, Highrise Tower said:

SUPw6yX.png

On 7/18/2022 at 1:31 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

On 12/5/2022 at 10:40 PM, Ns1021 said:

On 4/18/2023 at 12:20 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Details from the filing:

On 5/10/2023 at 7:20 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Houston Chronicle and CultureMap are finally reporting on Little Rey. This comes nearly five months after a coming soon banner for the restaurant went up at 2345 Mid Lane on the Park Place River Oaks grounds.

Plans for the buildout of Little Rey are approved. The city approved permitting a few days ago.

Little Rey is a casual Tex-Mex and Mexican inspired restaurant from Ford Fry's Rocket Farms Restaurants. It will be located at 2345 Mid Lane at the Park Place River Oaks development.

ZpMLuCR.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Plans for the buildout of Little Rey are approved. The city approved permitting a few days ago.

Little Rey is a casual Tex-Mex and Mexican inspired restaurant from Ford Fry's Rocket Farms Restaurants. It will be located at 2345 Mid Lane at the Park Place River Oaks development.

ZpMLuCR.jpg

After receiving approval for permitting, a building permit was pulled yesterday for the buildout of Little Rey.

peB3IK9.jpg

• Like 4

I love me some Superica and since i have friends that work at 200 Park Place, i am at the building often and see the progress weekly...i really love the look of this building with all it's glass and cool little walk up window! I am excited about Little Rey.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Little Rey looks ready to open anytime...it looks really nice inside (and love the big patio) and for now they have a fence surround but again, with hanging plants and lighting and people all buzzing around inside, i am betting a very soon spring opening!

• Like 6