GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

• 2 weeks later...

man, what a botched project this became... three blocks of prime CBD land all for an outdoor mall and an office building. the developers had a chance to make this a very solid contribution to downtown but really dropped the ball here. if it wasn't for NRG this project would've traded hands already or would've gone back to the lender by now. to think they had all that perimeter sidewalk space and willingly chose to not take advantage of it.

:blink:

Edited by swtsig
  • Like 1

man, what a botched project this became... three blocks of prime CBD land all for an outdoor mall and an office building. the developers had a chance to make this a very solid contribution to downtown but really dropped the ball here. if it wasn't for NRG this project would've traded hands already or would've gone back to the lender by now. to think they had all that perimeter sidewalk space and willingly chose to not take advantage of it.

Yes, the 3 empty surface lots that were there for 75 years were much nicer. I miss them so much. The citizens of Houston were much better off before HP ruined downtown forever.

Edited by Mister X
  • Like 3

I do wonder if any folks involved in the project questioned the idea of designing an uninviting and well-hidden narrow alleyway as the main storefront. Maybe they were afraid to speak up, the way folks involved in the production of the first couple Star Wars prequels were too afraid to tell George Lucas how terrible some of his ideas were. Who knows. Bad ideas are followed through all the time.

I agree it is a missed opportunity for downtown, even though it did at least eat up a few surface lots. But I've been to HP two times, and unfortunately could never find a reason to go back. Actually, I forget it's even there most of the time.

• 4 weeks later...

I was there recently, on the 2nd or 3rd level of the Pavilions if I remember correctly, and there is a wall of windows where you can see NRG's crazy trading desks with dozens of flat screen monitors. I remember thinking it's a bad sign if what's clearly supposed to be retail space is rented for office space. I like the Pavilions and hope it succeeds, but it doesn't look good. Anybody with any insights?

Yes, I would have like to see more retail but I am happy to see that HP will be a success, at least financially. Hopefully the high density of workers gives some more customers to the retail components and helps the remaining spaces lease up more quickly. There is still a decent amount of store fronts that could be added.

If this is successful (as far as leasing the remaining store fronts), could be a stepping stone for more retail in the many surrounding empty lots but it would have been pretty empty without NRG (at least this was the case in the 2+ years without them).