George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

Who owns the ADLA/Crawford/Capitol/Rusk block?

Out of all of the stuff proposed to go up in this area, I've never heard of anything being mentioned for that spot.

isn't that the block the green(?) residential tower and hotel tower with hall of fame-esque thing at the base, were proposed for? the city has been wanting someone to build a mixed use development there?

Huh? GRB 2025 master plan has the convention center expanding to the square cluster of 4 blocks to the south..

^^^

920x920.jpg

I seem to recall Houston First saying there hopes for Block 101 would be residential or hotel development. Maybe the GHP Garage Hotel could end up there...

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 1

^^^

920x920.jpg

I seem to recall Houston First saying there hopes for Block 101 would be residential or hotel development. Maybe the GHP Garage Hotel could end up there...

That's a fun looking rendering, but I don't think it reflects anyone's actual plans for anything. The TC/Hess garage block tower and Houston First's new place isn't even on there and the "Marriott" is something else entirely. I think this one was just someone spitballing what the area would look like totally built out without surface lots.  Looks cool though.

Edited by Nate99

That's a fun looking rendering, but I don't think it reflects anyone's actual plans for anything. The TC/Hess garage block tower and Houston First's new place isn't even on there and the "Marriott" is something else entirely. I think this one was just someone spitballing what the area would look like totally built out without surface lots. Looks cool though.

Huh? It clearly shows they plan on expanding the GRB on the square cluster of 4 blocks to the south/east of TC..? Yeah it was made before the GHP Building and Marquis were planned but where else would/could they expand the GRB?

Btw, who owns those 4 blocks?

Huh? It clearly shows they plan on expanding the GRB on the square cluster of 4 blocks to the south/east of TC..? Yeah it was made before the GHP Building and Marquis were planned but where else would/could they expand the GRB?

Btw, who owns those 4 blocks?

I didn't realize it was official anything. With all of the stuff that's changed in the meantime, I figured it was just a bunch of unsupported ideas.

One of those blocks currently has the Hilton garage sitting on it - I don't imagine that will come down to make way for this.

The parking garage is in that rendering. you can see a very thin line between the roof of the convention center, and then there are little specs on the other roof, which I assume are supposed to be cars parked in the cheap seats.

I did see in a study done for the convention center presenting the competition amongst other cities convention centers. There was an

aerial map of the convention center in the study, and that was part of their future plans for enlargement. The property to the south of the convention center along 59. If I remember correctly there were four blocks. It was described in the study.

I wonder if they would ever consider opening up the eastern side of the GRB? Like a grand entrance, possibly shutting down part of the street that runs parallel to it. Just so it doesn't become an ever bigger divide between EaDo and Downtown

I could see them opening up the back side of the convention center some if/when the 45 realignment happens and that whole area becomes a park over a freeway 

• Like 1

I wonder if they would ever consider opening up the eastern side of the GRB? Like a grand entrance, possibly shutting down part of the street that runs parallel to it. Just so it doesn't become an ever bigger divide between EaDo and Downtown

i hope not, that's the loading dock area.

i spent a fair amount of time near the convention center and ballpark this weekend (#crushcity) and the sheer volume of construction occurring in that area is astounding. gives austin a run for its money in terms of construction density.

• Like 1

i hope not, that's the loading dock area.

That's true, I'm just saying I wish there was a plan to maybe open that area up more. I think it would have been nice to have walkways through the GRB in to Discovery Green. And close off that back street to allow foot traffic much like they are doing to the front.

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2

I love the view that Mab got looking down Avenida De Las Americas from Minute Maid.

Talking about some massing going on. This part of town is going to be amazing once The Fingers, Catalyst, Marlowe

plus all of the residential on the Eado side get finished. I also like the sense of urban neighborhood feel you get around Luckys

and the apartments that have been built or repurposed. Its a great mix of new and old.