George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

Is GRB the biggest convention center in Texas?

Might depend on what metric one uses.  According to the "prime exhibit space" metric employed in this Trade Show Executive article, it's not even the biggest convention center in Houston (that title goes to NRG (nee Reliant) Center).  NRG Center is also the biggest convention center in Texas and 8th biggest in the U.S.  GRB is the third biggest in Texas and the 12th biggest in the U.S.

(Dallas's convention center also has more "prime exhibit space" than the GRB.)

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

*ringring* *ringring* Yes?Hello?1980sHere. I'veGotThisNewInvestment,YaSee. Malls. Malls,I TellYa. TheNextBigThing. GetOnThisShipQuickBaby, We'reRidingHighOnOil. NothingCanStopThisTrain. *click*

The 80's is back and has been for a while now, buddy. Where you been?!? Plus, what year was the GRB built? 

National-Geographic-Contest-Winner-Pictu

• Like 1

More on that 65,000 sq ft retail opportunity:

Opportunity #2 is a potential ground lease of the 64,870 SF City owned land parcel bounded by Polk Hamilton, Chenevert, and Clay Streets. No specific use restrictions apply, although property will be limited to a 10 year primary term with Landlord right to terminate after year five.

The ground lease parcel will be available for construction as soon as tenant’s plans are approved and tenant has received a building permit. HFC’s goal is to execute leases by December 31, 2015.

Expression of Interest - Polk Street - 2015-08-12.pdf

• Like 1

I would love some kind of mixed used entertainment complex here. For example it be awesome to have an Dave and Buster with some type of movie theater. With all these convention coming to the Houston area I think this could work very well in this park of Downtown Houston!  

More on that 65,000 sq ft retail opportunity:

attachicon.gifExpression of Interest - Polk Street - 2015-08-12.pdf

^^^ i was under the impression, that this particular aforementioned property, was hereby slated for the future expansion of the GRB Convention Center, on or around 2025? not to mention, this particular property is so well hidden behind the HILTON and it's garage, that whomever decides to purchase it, just may spend an exuberant amount of their marketing budget, trying to lure patrons that simply do not know that it's actually there.  personally, i think that the money and effort would be better spent further enhancing GREENSTREET, to make it a much bigger, better, and more dynamic entertainment / retail venue.  

Yeahhh... What do you mean "more on that opportunity"? It's been slated for GRB 2025 expansion for years now.. Will they build it reinforced to support a convention hall above, give up expansion plans for the time being, or tear these buildings down after the 5-10 year lease is up?

With a landlord right to terminate after 5 years, the only tenant that could make a ground lease work would be a surface lot operator or a food truck mall type development. You can't get an ROI in 5 years on any real improvements.