HAIF - Houston's original social media

1111 Rusk: Texaco Building Renovations

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:31 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

From Houston Chronicle today:

On downtown plans that went bust: For the first time, Berg has confirmed that the restaurant inside The Star apartment building in downtown at 1111 Rusk is not happening. Announced in May 2017, Benjamin's would have taken a good chunk of The Star's ground-floor space at San Jacinto and Rusk behind the former Texaco building's beautiful vaulted colonnade.

"It didn't work out," Berg said, declining to elaborate on details of the failed project that would have given him a prime space in downtown's busy and growing restaurant scene.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Restaurateur-Benjamin-Berg-to-open-second-B-B-13866369.php

Wow, they really screwed that one up. It's not like that corner is the hub of downtown excitement; an elegant steakhouse would have been perfect.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Enough about those yankees...  

Here are slide photos taken chronologically during the construction of the 1958-1959 addition to the Texaco Building at 1111 Rusk, along with a 1965 photo of the completed building.   These were taken

Finally the last set of windows is going in.  Looks great!  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mattyt36 said:

Article referenced indicates Mia Bella GreenStreet location closing, which would make sende.

I only ate there once ... wasn’t impressed ... but I could’ve ordered the wrong thing.

6 minutes ago, cspwal said:

When I ate there it was very noisy, considering there were 6 other people there

17 hours ago, downtownian said:

According to page 12 of the below, Mia Bella is opening at the Star. Hope it’s not the beautiful space that Benjamin’s would have taken:

http://www.downtowndistrict.org/static/media/uploads/attachments/downtown_market_update_2019_q2.pdf

I went to Mia Bella a few months ago. Food was good... Solid and dependable Italian.

The space in Greenstreet is awful. They are simply moving to the Star. It is a good move for them. I bet they move into A or B on the map.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It looks like a La Madeleine is almost fully built out in the Rusk and Fannin corner of the building. Construction screening on the windows was removed, and  when I walked by over the weekend I could see pallets of shrink-wrapped furniture ready to be unpacked.  

Edited by jermh
Edited because I can't spell.
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, kbates2 said:

Le Madelaine?

La_Madeleine_logo.png

^^^ @kbates2 no, this one.  actually, i haven't eaten there in years.  they used to have the BEST oatmeal, raisin, pecan cookies ever!  they used to be located in the tunnel.  i may just have to swing by one day...

• Like 1
7 hours ago, monarch said:

La_Madeleine_logo.png

^^^ @kbates2 no, this one.  actually, i haven't eaten there in years.  they used to have the BEST oatmeal, raisin, pecan cookies ever!  they used to be located in the tunnel.  i may just have to swing by one day...

Sorry to get yalls hopes up, but  I was wrong. It's actually Mia Bella not a La Madeleine. I'll post a picture of the permit on the door below.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, jermh said:

Sorry to get yalls hopes up, but  I was wrong. It's actually Mia Bella not a La Madeleine. I'll post a picture of the permit on the door below.

Quite the opposite, not a fan of La Madeleine at all and I think it would do horribly in that spot.

• Like 2
  • Highrise Tower changed the title to 1111 Rusk: Texaco Building Renovations