Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy St.

Travel_n_Transport

48 minutes ago, Amlaham said:

3 new businesses opening soon per article linked below

• M Vincé Nail Spa will open at the end of 2022 at 1203 Dunlavy St, really big "luxurious" national chain
  • Sudor Sauna Studio will open in fall of 2022 at 3515 W. Dallas St., ste 400, a flagship location 
  • Clean Juice will open in September at 3515 W. Dallas St., ste 800

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/impacts/2022/05/13/3-new-businesses-announced-for-regent-square/

I imagine a Nail Spa, Sauna, and Clean Juice are not the type of tenants they thought thought they'd get for this project.

I didn't know River Oaks was getting a new strip center...what, no checks cashed place...no dry cleaners...no donuts shop?

This literally went from a City Centre or River Oaks District type project to this! How did GID botch this project when every other developer figured it out and in less desirable locations?

• Like 5

I walked by Georgia James yesterday and the door was open so I poked my head in. The drywall looks like it has been installed and they were tiling behind the bar. It looksike it'll be open in the next 60-90 days.

Edited by SMU1213
  • Like 6

• The title was changed to Giant Open Lots On W. Dallas St.
On 5/15/2022 at 1:06 PM, SMU1213 said:

I walked by Georgia James yesterday and the door was open so I poked my head in. The drywall looks like it has been installed and they were tiling behind the bar. It looksike it'll be open in the next 60-90 days.

I walked by Georgia James again today and it looked like they were having some sort of soft opening. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, SMU1213 said:

I walked by Georgia James again today and it looked like they were having some sort of soft opening. 

I walked by there and spoke with them on Sunday.  Sunday evening was friends and family, soft opening is this week, grand opening next week.  

Correction:  Grand opening is this Friday!

https://www.chron.com/food/article/georgia-james-chris-shepherd-reopens-houston-17272233.php

Edited by CREguy13
  • Like 6

• The title was changed to Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy St.

He's clearly been taking a back seat for a while, letting Nick Wong and Nick Fine run everything. With just about all of his restaurants closing last year, I'm not surprised to see him go. Let someone else deal with opening all those restaurants at once.

Chris has made a huge mark on the Houston food scene and we are all better off for it.

59 minutes ago, JBTX said:

He's clearly been taking a back seat for a while, letting Nick Wong and Nick Fine run everything. With just about all of his restaurants closing last year, I'm not surprised to see him go. Let someone else deal with opening all those restaurants at once.

Chris has made a huge mark on the Houston food scene and we are all better off for it.

I don't know if that's necessarily true, I used to go to Wild Oats a lot and he was frequently there actively managing so seems a bit out of character to me. This was maybe just a few months ago

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Regent Square steakhouse Georgia James officially unveiled its 11,000-square-foot rooftop lounge and patio to the public on September 16, welcoming diners to enjoy a host of cocktails, appetizers, and a special menu with views of Downtown Houston’s skyline."

https://houston.eater.com/2022/9/16/23357076/georgia-james-restaurant-underbelly-hospitality-steakhouse-rooftop-openings

INyXuyD.png

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, hindesky said:

"Regent Square steakhouse Georgia James officially unveiled its 11,000-square-foot rooftop lounge and patio to the public on September 16, welcoming diners to enjoy a host of cocktails, appetizers, and a special menu with views of Downtown Houston’s skyline."

https://houston.eater.com/2022/9/16/23357076/georgia-james-restaurant-underbelly-hospitality-steakhouse-rooftop-openings

INyXuyD.png

Looks like they had a tight budget. 

• Like 8

I'm sure I qualify as a "Regent Square apologist", but this is pretty unimpressive. It wouldn't take *that* much to make this space look a lot more inviting, but the fact that the restaurant owners didn't bother (along with the loss of the original team) really makes this look poorly managed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Texasota said:

I'm sure I qualify as a "Regent Square apologist", but this is pretty unimpressive. It wouldn't take *that* much to make this space look a lot more inviting, but the fact that the restaurant owners didn't bother (along with the loss of the original team) really makes this look poorly managed.

I drive by it everyday and other then the sign they placed, I still can't tell it is a restaurant. Just a total hatchet job with the redesign of this project and the original design DID think about these details.

• 3 weeks later...

Let's hope this 16 story building and the rest of the design/quality of this block fronting Allen Parkway is a significant improvement form the bock just completed.

That side is the same side as Autry Park so it would be nice to have a continuous High Quality district along Allen Parkway.

Edited by shasta

honestly, given how much people are complaining about a perfectly fine (at least above average!) project just because its worse than what was originally proposed, I kind of hope this just ends up a stripmall or a drive through carwash

Edited by Texasota
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

honestly, given how much people are complaining about a perfectly fine (at least above average!) project just because its worse than what was originally proposed, I kind of hope this just ends up a stripmall or a drive through carwash

you must have incredibly low standards in what you deem  "above average projects".

Where to begin.

-None of the retail spaces are leased and they are struggling to get the likes of "Nail Saloons"

-All of the rooftop condenser units are clearly visible from every angle. Increasing the parapet height would have solved that had anyone cared enough to think about it.

-They went cheap on exterior  building materials. fake stone?? really?

-The orientation of the  "anchor restaurant" is incredibly awkward. There is very little street interaction and the roof top balcony looks like an afterthought.

_ I drive by this project every single day and I se how it is used.

- I could go on and on why it is "below Average" for a site of this importance , in this location.

I am hard on this project because we all saw the project that they scrapped. That project had architectural diversity, paid attention to the details , and was integrated. These developers knew how to put together a quality project

I'm hoping the next phase is a start improvement. If not, sell this project to a developer who cares and can make improvements because it is clear this is a value engineered "get i to market and sell it " type of project.

Maybe Skanska will build a building to hide this project....

Edited by shasta
  • Like 1

My standards are irrelevant - what's relevant is the standards of the developers that build in this city.

If you think this, a mixed-use project with no surface parking, a garage completely hidden from Dallas, Dunlavy, *and* Clay, and a pleasant streetscape with street-facing ground floor windows, outdoor dining, and a retail plaza is "below average" for a local project (even just in central Houston) then you must be, consciously or not, ignoring most projects. 

• Like 1