Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy St.

Travel_n_Transport

5 hours ago, shasta said:

How in the world did GID let Hanover outhustle them on this project?

GID did all of the leg work back in 2005/6 that this area CAN support a high quality, high design, matered plan mixed use district?

Then the put that vision on hold...scraped it, replaced it with a LOW quality project and then Hanover stole their playback and is reaping the REWARDS while all of the retail spaces in RS sit vacant.

RD  IS a valued engineered project, anyone with any architectural/real estate development can see that.

How did they let this happen?

If GID continues to mail it in with this project then YES please sell it to a developer that knows what they are doing. It's handed to you on a silver platter

I noticed that GID is doing some roof work on the Allen House units off of Rochow. They have no interest in building the new tower anytime soon...

• 2 months later...
On 1/31/2023 at 5:32 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Dallas' Front Burner Society (formerly Front Burner Dining Group) is bringing one its concepts to Regent Square. 

Mexican Sugar will roll out its first Houston location later in the year (possibly). The menu centers on Mexican fare.

Other Front Burner Society restaurants in the Houston area: Whiskey Cake and Sixty Vines.

https://www.mexicansugarcocina.com

On 5/5/2023 at 1:10 AM, hindesky said:

On 9/27/2023 at 2:36 PM, hindesky said:

0HDMe1h.pngjqbUsMV.png

A rendering of Mexican Sugar's forthcoming Houston location is below. The rendering was shared in a Facebook group.

Mexican Sugar restaurant is from Front Burner Society / FB Society. It will be located 3505 W Dallas St in Regent Square.

w65Lj4B.jpg

• Like 9

If Autry Park could land a large lead tenant or build-to-suit tenant that would really stabilize and accelerate this area even more.  The restaurant/retail and MF demand is palpable, and should really become highly attractive for companies and their employees that want this parkside, walkable, dense dining environment. 

The issue of course is new construction will likely require the highest rents in Houston to pencil and may have to be all or nearly all equity on Hanover's side.. but there has to be a few companies or firms that are in or soon to be in the market that may be up to it..

• Like 6

4 hours ago, talltexan83 said:

Can Georgia James and Pastore set up a gofundme to help with those patios?  The lack of plants/shade makes them look so sad every time I drive by.

It's as if Regent Square wanted to be a high quality development but chose to turn itself into a valued engineering strip center type of development. There are plenty examples of successful restaurant design within blocks from RS...

Go look how La Griglia integrates it's patio space with the street and then look and Georgia James and Pastore and the head-scratcher is that these were designed as Restaurant tenants!

• 1 month later...

This development is an embarrassment.

This project started in 2007..yet they still have empty retail spaces.

The restaurants in the spaces, with the exception of the Flight Club, look like VE'd crap you'd expect in a strip center in Pasadena..not on the front door of River Oaks.

Autry Park got it right...Regent Square went for cheap and they did so with extreme incompetence.

..and of course this build out is not done (albeit it is a HUGE improvement over Georgia James and Pastore) Has it even started?

image.jpeg.6d06ade79dae5c029f82f4017dcd41b7.jpeg

• Like 2

GID mismanaged this project to such a degree it's almost hard to fathom. Literally next door to them Hanover was able to do in 3 years what GID has failed miserably to do in more than 15. Can someone buy them out of this project already? Their basis on that dirt must be microscopic at this point. Spare us any more misery.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2023 at 1:14 PM, shasta said:

...and of course this build out is not done (albeit it is a HUGE improvement over Georgia James and Pastore) Has it even started?image.jpeg.6d06ade79dae5c029f82f4017dcd41b7.jpeg

I don't think so, @shasta. According to plan review status, work on Mexican Sugar has yet to be approved for permitting.

Mexican Sugar is a Mexican restaurant from Dallas' Front Burner Society. It's located at 3505 West Dallas St in Regent Square.

fMJDm0G.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2024 at 12:06 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

A plan review permit was filed yesterday for 3505 W Dallas St. The permit is for a restaurant addition pertaining to Mexican Sugar, a Mexican restaurant located in Regent Square.

clVUSzl.png

On 2/13/2024 at 12:17 AM, hindesky said:

cTFxGPF.png

A plumbing permit was purchased yesterday for 3505 W Dallas St.

Details from the permit:

• Use: 12,323 sf restaurant addition 1-2-5-a2-b
  • FCC Group: Non-residential addition

The permit is for a restaurant addition pertaining to Mexican Sugar.  The Mexican eatery is located in Regent Square. It's a dining concept from Dallas-based restaurant group Front Burner Society.

JCq4Y8l.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Pastore closed over the weekend. The Italian restaurant from Underbelly Hospitality was located in Regent Square at 1180 Dunlavy St, Suite 100.

Houston Chronicle reports the restaurant group may consider opening another concept in its place. In the meantime, "the restaurant will be used as an event space for the steakhouse Georgia James, which is located next door in Regent Square."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/pastore-houston-restaurant-closing-19362626.php

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We'll rinse and repeat this after Mexican Sugar goes in and out.

Flight Club and to a lesser extent, Georgia James, and Flower & Cream seem like the only things holding up the Regent Square commercial space.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AS_ said:

We'll rinse and repeat this after Mexican Sugar goes in and out.

Flight Club and to a lesser extent, Georgia James, and Flower & Cream seem like the only things holding up the Regent Square commercial space.

I really hope not.

Mexican Sugar is hugely popular in Dallas. I am ecstatic that they are coming to Regent Square and positive that they will be the anchor that drives traffic to the area. 
Sure, the rendering looked funny but their locations in dallas, especially the new ones, are top notch. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/3LkHpcWyV1bgcA6R7?g_st=ic

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Pastore closed over the weekend. The Italian restaurant from Underbelly Hospitality was located in Regent Square at 1180 Dunlavy St, Suite 100.

Houston Chronicle reports the restaurant group may consider opening another concept in its place. In the meantime, "the restaurant will be used as an event space for the steakhouse Georgia James, which is located next door in Regent Square."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/pastore-houston-restaurant-closing-19362626.php

good, it was horrible.

Underbelly didn't not invest too much in either of their restaurants here...I hope they both go away.

At least, the Mexican Restaurant is investing in the design of the building

Pastore closed because it was horrible. Georgia James may/may not fail because Under Belly went cheap on the build out (we all saw the balcony space) plus they had little to work with in what they were given (design/layout/aesthetics)

At least Mexican Sugar is trying to invest in the Architectural facade so I'll give them credit for that.
Regent Square will ultimately fail because the DRAMATICALLY turned a Autry Park level high quality development into a poorly planned, poorly executed strip center.

We all saw what was original planned and the attention to detail of the original version of this project.

This version, they went C-H-E-A-P and even rushed through the things that could have been avoided. We can all see the condenser units on the roof. Why not increase the parapet to cover them. Just makes this development pure trash.

Now Autry Park..what is it with these tenants not understanding "Urban Living". I walked into MF Sushi and not only were they not ready for To-Go Orders, I was shocked to find out that a basic Lobster Roll cost $30..for ONE. Hot dog bun size. Those are like $5 at any urban park in New England. No 'To-Go' for a development surrounded by 1 bedroom units in a urban park type of development...really??

I'm thinking the Village is successful because they know what they are and who they serve.

Regent Square is a disaster..especially this project STARTED in 2007!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, AS_ said:

It does appear to look that way, @AS_. I'm an optimist and am still holding out hope for Regent Square. There is a lot of potential for this development. 

While I never dined at Pastore, I had a feeling it wouldn't last long. Opening a new restaurant under the Underbelly umbrella is a hard sell without Chris Shepherd, I think. To the general public, the two go hand in hand. Without Shepherd, I think many are not interested in trying a new Underbelly Hospitality restaurant.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shasta said:

Georgia James may/may not fail because Under Belly went cheap on the build out (we all saw the balcony space) plus they had little to work with in what they were given (design/layout/aesthetics)

I have to agree with Georgia James' patio. The patio and its unveiling in the media were underwhelming for me. I expected more being that its the crown jewel of Underbelly Hospitality. 

11 hours ago, shasta said:

Regent Square will ultimately fail because the DRAMATICALLY turned a Autry Park level high quality development into a poorly planned, poorly executed strip center.

I don't think Regent Square will fail. As long as there are people willing to live there and open a sustainable business there, it will survive. 

It is disappointing plans for the other phases of Regent Square were downgraded from initial designs. However, that can be a plus for Regent Square. It may not be Autry Park, but management can work towards drawing more people to Regent Square. I  think it takes finding the right tenants, making some aesthetic adjustments, and developing programs for social events similar to CityCentre.