Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy St.

Travel_n_Transport

1 hour ago, arbpro said:

Oh, I wasn't aware that this board is now a repository for political opinion. Just couldn't resist, could you?

Appears like we’ve been caught by the same bug. (Have you been wearing your mask?)

And Patient Zero in this case would be iah77. 

But blame me.

Funny how that works.

Anything of substance you wish to comment on? Cuz I’m pretty sure a fellow traveler said that Harris Health was corrupt as if, it were like a fact or something and he had the receipts.

Hey it’s not like we’re talking life or death here, it’s just a matter of millage! Politics be damned!

Do you have a good grip on their budget?

Do you have, er, a good grip at all?

Edited by mattyt36

37 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

Appears like we’ve been caught by the same bug. (Have you been wearing your mask?)

And Patient Zero in this case would be iah77. 

But blame me.

Funny how that works.

Anything of substance you wish to comment on? Cuz I’m pretty sure a fellow traveler said that Harris Health was corrupt as if, it were like a fact or something and he had the receipts.

Hey it’s not like we’re talking life or death here, it’s just a matter of millage! Politics be damned!

Do you have a good grip on their budget?

Do you have, er, a good grip at all?

"Grip?"

Yeah, I've got a grip on reality. The reality that this board is dedicated to "discussing new and proposed projects" going up in Houston. And the reality that some just can't control their impulse to spew political opinion under the misguided belief that it will be impactful. 

1 hour ago, arbpro said:

"Grip?"

Yeah, I've got a grip on reality. The reality that this board is dedicated to "discussing new and proposed projects" going up in Houston. And the reality that some just can't control their impulse to spew political opinion under the misguided belief that it will be impactful. 

Uh huh.

If only I believed it were truly impactful, how much harder I would try!

On 2/4/2022 at 11:02 PM, arbpro said:

"Grip?"

I see. So we can expect to see fewer comments about homeless "bums" in Midtown?

• Like 1

Just now, j_cuevas713 said:

Damn 10 to 15 years from redeveloping that lot with the older apartments!? Oh well, I'm glad they broke ground on the next parcel of land. 

Keep in mind that apartment leasing agents are surely among the least reliable sources of information regarding neighborhoods and their future development...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Keep in mind that apartment leasing agents are surely among the least reliable sources of information regarding neighborhoods and their future development...

True. I was curious what was happening on the other lot. I'm really excited to see that going up. This section of the bayou is going to be bustling with activity. 

22 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Damn 10 to 15 years from redeveloping that lot with the older apartments!? Oh well, I'm glad they broke ground on the next parcel of land. 

10-15 years is corporate speak for, "We have no clue when, or what we are going to put there, so don't ask us for awhile." No company I know of plans that far in advance for anything especially a development, so its best to not think of that statement as a hard number. Market conditions always change, and for this development company they seem to blow with the wind easier than a leaf on the ground in fall. Time will tell if they advance on any of the others. Lets just be glad they developed a portion of it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped by over the weekend to see what was open.

So far, there were some residents in the apartments and The Flight Club appeared to be the only thing open.

I walked past the future restaurants (Georgia James & Pastore). Georgia James had a sign up that they were opening in April 2022 but they haven't even started construction on the interior space so that is obviously wrong. Do we have an opening date?

On the Flight Club, it was a really cool place and they did a great job on it. It has been open a month a half and it was pretty busy. It had a late 1800s carnival theme interior. Makes me wonder why they haven't even started construction on  even ONE of the other retail spaces. The restaurants were nowhere near opening and the retail under the apartments were still boarded up so who knows what they will be?

I did like the Flight Club but this development, or Autry Park, really needs an upscale Sports bar. We don't have one serving the River Oaks/West Gray/ Allen Parkway area. The closest one is the Bw3 on Washington but I think this can accommodate a nicer upscale sports bar.  The Flight Club is a nice add but I can't see it having as much repeat business in the area as a sports bar/restaurant. How many times can you pay to shoot darts? The Sports bar would be packed for football, March madness, baseball, World Cup, etc.

And on the strategy of the development as a whole is still very confusing to me. The development  was "technically" under construction way back in 2009 (Allen House demolished) and they got skittish and tabled a far superior design to "wait out" the recession. They then call an audible and build the Sovereign FIRST and scrap the original master plan for  a completely different value engineered bland version and begin construction a decade later..... all while  missing out on the boom cycle.

They then open Regent Square up in early 2022 with ONE retail tenant!  Anyone else confused by the strategy on this project? Covid did not seem to hurt the opening on The Flight Club and this is IN Texas so I don't see that as an excuse. Especially since retailers are looking to open up in less restrictive states. This project has been as slow and methodical and calculated as you get so how are they still getting it wrong?

Edited by shasta

Soft goods retail is extremely difficult to lock in until the building is open and the tenants can actually see the space. They are also concerned about who the other tenants are in the space, so even if you have a signed LOI, they won't sign a lease until they know their co-tenancy. F&B is a destination so they care less about co-tenancy and they typically have more financial backing so they can sign leases earlier and start spending money on design earlier. That's why you always see F&B announced first and soft goods dragging behind. 

Edited by SMU1213
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, gregpet said:

GID out of Boston is Regent Square developer…

It has to be said.

GID royally messed up this project...here is how:

1) Good: They design an excellent ambitious project (probably one of the best inner loop infill projects from a quality standpoint and attention to detail standpoint)

Regent Square Redevelopment, Master Plan & Design - DMSAS

GID breaks ground on phase two of Regent Square mixed-use near Buffalo  Bayou - Houston Business Journal

2) Good: Demolish Block 1 & 2 of Allen House Apartments for upcoming Groundbreaking of the project above!

3) Bad: Great Recession of 2009-2010 puts project on hold indefinitely. Revenue is lost from the now demolished Allen House Apartments on Block 1 & 2.

4) Bad to Neutral: GID responds to the boom times immediately after the Great Recession by scraping their initial urban village style master plan and building a stand lone Residential tower on the FAR edge of the future Regent Square Site

5) Bad: There are rumors that the Regent Square Project has gone through multiple value engineering changes that could transform it from one of the most ambitious projects in Inner Loop Houston to one that has been VE'd to a point it is no longer recognizable (i.e. Embassy Suites )

6) Bad & Good: Rumors above are confirmed and a generic looking project breaks ground.

Regent

7) WTF: The project FINALLY opens in early 2022 (15 years after the project started) with ONE open tenant (The Flight Club). As of mid May 2022, The other restaurants have yet to start construction and ALL of the retail spaces are still boarded up?!?!?

Summary: they only had 15 years to get this right and they almost have a random approach to this project. On the lack of retail- THEY ARE LOCATED IN ONE OF THE BEST CATCHMENT AREAS IN THE STATE OF TEXAS (RIVER OAKS) and still could not get the retail component finished.

I've walked to the project many times...The "park" area is always empty and this is in large part due to ONE retail/restaurant space.

Meanwhile, Hanover, In probably 4 years of time have designed, constructed, and secured their retail/restaurant tenants.

WTF is GID doing!?!?!?

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

3 new businesses opening soon per article linked below

• M Vincé Nail Spa will open at the end of 2022 at 1203 Dunlavy St, really big "luxurious" national chain
  • Sudor Sauna Studio will open in fall of 2022 at 3515 W. Dallas St., ste 400, a flagship location 
  • Clean Juice will open in September at 3515 W. Dallas St., ste 800

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/impacts/2022/05/13/3-new-businesses-announced-for-regent-square/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1