Montrose Real Estate

Subdude

Okay so this hits a little close to home as this is a few blocks from my townhome in midtown/Montrose. I literally walk by the corner most weekends. The incident happened last night. Here is the Chronicle article.

Dec. 15, 2005, 8:52AM

Houston police officer shot during drug sting

By MIKE GLENN

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

A Houston police officer was listed in stable condition at Memorial Hermann Hospital early today after he was shot during an undercover narcotics investigation in the Montrose area, authorities confirmed.

The wounded officer, whose identity was not released, was struck at least three times during a drug sting operation about 12:30 a.m. in the 2300 block of Mason at Fairview, Houston Police Department officials said.

One of the men was killed at the scene, while two others were wounded, during the exchange of gunfire, police said.

Four men in a gold-colored Toyota Corolla pulled up as the officer and a second investigator were attempting to make an undercover narcotics deal. One of the shooters was carrying a shotgun while another was armed with a semi-automatic pistol, police said.

"They both fired at the officers (and) our officers returned fire," HPD Lt. Robert Manzo said.

Several backup officers then moved in and also began firing. The man who opened fire with the shotgun was pronounced dead at the scene. The man with the pistol was wounded but managed to run a short distance away, police said.

"He dropped the weapon approximately half a block a way, fell down, and was apprehended," Manzo said.

Two other men in the vehicle fled on foot, setting off an extensive police search of the area including canine teams and an HPD helicopter.

They were later found hiding beneath a house in the 200 block of Stratford. One was taken to an area hospital with a gunshot wound to his arm, police said.

The motive was still under investigation this morning but officers at the scene said the men in the Toyota Corolla may have intended to rob the undercover officers.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, those guys were packing some heavy heat. Good thing for the officers that they got it under control quickly before it got any worse than it did.

If they were trying to rob the officers, I am sure they are regretting it now.

This is exactly why I stopped buying meth in that area.

You never knew when you were buying from a cop or a real hustler.

That's why I love you coog. Honesty. Anybody that can't spot an undercover deserves to get shot. 2 hood rules got broken. 1, don't deal with nobody in the montrose, 2, don't ever meet on neutral territory. . .

That's why I love you coog. Honesty. Anybody that can't spot an undercover deserves to get shot. 2 hood rules got broken. 1, don't deal with nobody in the montrose, 2, don't ever meet on neutral territory. . .

...3. Don't do meth.

Now THAT'S a concept!

B)

This incident was so loud, I thought it was across the street, when in actuality it was about 2+ blocks away. I actually got out of bed and got on the floor (my bed is near a window that faces Westheimer) because I had no idea where the bullets where coming from and believe me there were many shots fired. Once on the floor, I loaded my gun (magazine in the gun, did not load one in the chamber), not knowing which direction, if any, the shooters were going to run. I hunkered down and then watched the helicopters and police cars swarm my neighborhood. The bad news is that this happened right around 12:30 am and unfortunately I had to be up at 5 am the next day... regardless, it made for a good story as to why I was so tired.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

While driving around the Montrose today, I noticed quite a of those Traffic Counters on Westheimer, West Alabama, Montrose and Richmond. The thing that really caught my attention was the fact that a number of them are placed on some of the side streets off Westheimer.

Is there something substantial in the planning stages going on? I found it highly unusual for so many counters to be placed in such close proximity to each other.

Ricco

While driving around the Montrose today, I noticed quite a of those Traffic Counters on Westheimer, West Alabama, Montrose and Richmond. The thing that really caught my attention was the fact that a number of them are placed on some of the side streets off Westheimer.

Is there something substantial in the planning stages going on? I found it highly unusual for so many counters to be placed in such close proximity to each other.

Ricco

i'm not sure but they're hell on my bike and all of a sudden it seems that

people are unable to drive around them.

Perhaps they are trying to determine how much traffic the area gets daily on Montrose and surrounding thoroughfares for a future light rail line starting at the museum district going down Montrose linking with another rail line that would travel Washington Ave in an east west direction that flows from Memorial Park and the massive twnhome developments into dwntwn......

I think i will submit that idea :):):):)

Perhaps they are trying to determine how much traffic the area gets daily on Montrose and surrounding thoroughfares for a future light rail line starting at the museum district going down Montrose linking with another rail line that would travel Washington Ave in an east west direction that flows from Memorial Park and the massive twnhome developments into dwntwn......

I think i will submit that idea :):):):)

good idea.

it would relatively easy to further extend that rail system on washington down hempstead or old katy road

edit: A rail line down Montrose Blvd. is a great idea, maybe it will finally get people to slow down on that road, i've almost been plowed more than a handful of scary times and i've lived here under 5 years.

And i normally drive everywheres.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone out there recommend a property management company that you've had good business dealings with? We are a small community of 29 condos in the heart of Montrose, and we are very disappointed with our current property mgmt co. We bought their sales pitch that they manage properties in multiple states, and therefore have the power to negotiate awesome rates on utilities & insurance. Well, they just informed us that our insurance rates are going up 300% (subject of my previous thread). Yes, I have heard the stories on the news that this problem is affecting many condos/townhouses in Harris County. But after doing a little investigating of my own, I come to find out the our property mgmt company uses an insurance broker in Dallas who in turn went out-of-state to find us this "bargain" policy. They've never even SEEN our property before, yet they tell us that Montrose is just as at-risk for windstorm damage as the Tier 1 cities along the coast.

So, we've decided to start hunting around for both new insurance AND a new property mgmt co. Any recommendations?

Sincerely,

Lovett19 :(

If you are otherwise satisfied with the current management, other than the insurance issue, you are wasting your time with a change. One of my friends is a RVP for a major property management firm & has about 2 dozen very large complexes around town. He was telling me the same dilemma on insurance. Basically that yes, the insurance companies have rated everything here tier 1. I heard it also from another person I know that owns her own management company and manages properties in Texas, Kentucky, Alabama, and few other places. Based on the insurance horror tales they are telling, it sounds like your current people probably did have to shop around to keep your rate from going up only 300%.

I don't know how the people running C & D class apartment complexes are going to keep their doors open. The increases in taxes and insurance has got to be killing them financially.

If you are otherwise satisfied with the current management, other than the insurance issue, you are wasting your time with a change. One of my friends is a RVP for a major property management firm & has about 2 dozen very large complexes around town. He was telling me the same dilemma on insurance. Basically that yes, the insurance companies have rated everything here tier 1. I heard it also from another person I know that owns her own management company and manages properties in Texas, Kentucky, Alabama, and few other places. Based on the insurance horror tales they are telling, it sounds like your current people probably did have to shop around to keep your rate from going up only 300%.

I don't know how the people running C & D class apartment complexes are going to keep their doors open. The increases in taxes and insurance has got to be killing them financially.

I would say the same thing. It sounds like rps324's HOA is very active and wants better results. Demand them :D Good luck

I was watching something on HGTV last night called "What's With That House?"; a show about unusual homes. One of the homes featured was a Montrose house with circular windows and no interior doors. It's owned by a professor.

Here's a link to the program's discription and future airdates:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/shows_hwth/episod...8_43103,00.html

They were back in Houston again eh? They did another segment on a house in Houston. I think it is on the east side of town. The house is brand spanking new and it is built in the style of the old "shotgun houses". Except this one has a bit of a twist......its super long with a lot of other silly things inside.

I wish I saw that! Yeah, that house is somewhere in the Dunlavy, Westheimer, Montrose, Alabama square. I don't remember exactly where, but I do remember passing it by lots when I lived down there.

HGTV did a story on my neighbor's house about 2 years ago, but I don't think it was this show. Seems like it was a show about recycling old buildings into residences. The neighbor took an old warehouse (yes, I live next door to a warehouse.) and turned it into a loft residence and art gallery.

RedScare:

HGTV did a story on my neighbor's house about 2 years ago, but I don't think it was this show. Seems like it was a show about recycling old buildings into residences. The neighbor took an old warehouse (yes, I live next door to a warehouse.) and turned it into a loft residence and art gallery.

I think I remember seeing that. Did he make a remark about air conditioning being a must in Houston?

Yes, to be more specific he said you need A/C year-round in Houston.

I think the show was called "Building Character" or something like that. That was my favorite show on HGTV. I haven't noticed it on the schedule for over a year at least. I always looked forward to it on Sunday nights.

My cousin's store (outside of Austin) was featured on an HGTV show a couple of weeks ago.

I was watching something on HGTV last night called "What's With That House?"; a show about unusual homes. One of the homes featured was a Montrose house with circular windows and no interior doors. It's owned by a professor.

i just read an interview with the people that won the house last year. they are not able to afford the insurance, the taxes... most people sell the houses, but these people are selling their other house to try to hang on to this house.

He's across the street from my old townhome - on the corner of Van Buren and Peden.....just off Montrose/West Gray.....

It's a cool house - I went through it alot while he was building it...he apparently had been designing it for 10 years....he's quite the eccentric also !!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

this evening i was riding my bike home from work on marshal st.

near yupon, which are residential side streets near w. alabama.

i noticed that a full block is coned off on both sides for valley parking.

there is one house that has a banner out on the front gate that says

"annual save the bike shop event"...

ok, i love having/riding my bike but what the hell? there was a

professional valet service to park the cars and a police officer in

blue standing at the curb.

if this is ok, can i just have a "fund torvald's next art project"

banner outside my house and rope off some sweet parking too?

if so, you're all invited for half price. ;)

Archived