Montrose Real Estate

Subdude

What, me sarcastic?

No, I was serious. I think the residents should band together and physically confront the criminals and take photos and video of their activities.

I am sure there will be the argument against this idea for it being too dangerous. But, sometimes you have to take chances in order to keep your home and neighborhood safe. If drug dealing gets out of hand, then next thing you

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's another approach - extend the civility ordinance.

'Civility ordinance' targets Montrose vagrants

Jenna Colley

Houston Business Journal

Loitering in the Montrose area could become less of a pastime in the near future.

A coalition of businesses and residents are petitioning city officials to protect the near-downtown neighborhood from vagrants under a so-called "civility ordinance" passed by Houston City Council last year.

The Avondale Association has gathered enough signatures to require a public hearing on whether the ordinance should be expanded beyond the Central Business District.

The 600-member commercial and residential civic group, which includes popular eateries such as Niko-Niko and Ruggles, wants the Houston Police Department's enforcement power extended into the Montrose area.

The ordinance currently confined to downtown prohibits people from sitting or lying on sidewalks between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. Placing items of bedding or personal possessions on a sidewalk is also banned during the same hours.

Full article in Houston Business Journal

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I drove by Sunday and noticed this huge cleared area. dvpugg.jpg

The picture does not capture the enormity of the parcel.

Something large is obviously in the works. Any ideas? HCAD lists City of Houston as the owner of most of the parcels that seem to form this project, which was disappointing to me as I imagined perhaps a new residential high-rise, but then that would be Alabama & Dunlavy (HAIF link to topic.)

Also according to HCAD, there also used to be a fire station there. I don't recall seeing it, but I don't pass by all that often. There is still a swimming pool in the ground so there must've been a least a home there too or maybe a small apt. complex.

I did find some lovely antique Mexican bricks in sherbet colors from the carcass of the building fronting Richmond. dvq2vt.jpg

Interesting that they would use Mexican bricks for construction. World War II shortages perhaps? What other secrets did this building take to it's grave?

Someone said they may be expanding the park??? But I hope it is a mixed-use development.

Maybe La Tapatia bought it to expand there parking lot. :rolleyes:

the land was part of HISD & HCC

the fire station is across the street.

Any one out there know something I am clueless

As eelimon said, part of it was HISD's technology center (whatever that was!)....I dont know what took up the rest of the space - it is a large parcel of land though....it looks strange to drive by and see so much open space...

Toward the west end of the newly cleared lot were some old apartment complex units. Only one is left out of at least 5 buildings. Most were occupied by illegal immigrants from south of the border.

This is interesting news...

I used to live down the street from there... I believe the SW corner of that intersection is where the so-called "College Without Walls" stood (part of the HCC system).

The fire station is on the NW corner of that intersection.

This is interesting news...

I used to live down the street from there... I believe the SW corner of that intersection is where the so-called "College Without Walls" stood (part of the HCC system).

The fire station is on the NW corner of that intersection.

I love a good mystery.

:unsure::unsure::huh:

It was an HCC campus before HISD took it over.

I had a great time attending some semesters here and there at the Dunlavy Campus.

I loved parking in the garage and then walking into the campus...buy some snacks before class and

checking out the chicks.

It was a great campus too because they didn't check people's current student ID for computer lab use.

That was handy between semesters and stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived