Montrose Real Estate

Subdude

Not sure if this goes here, but has anyone here dealt with a neighbor who apparently is oblivious to their yard? I live in a townhome (no fees), and the person in the sister unit at the front of the complex has not done any yardwork since...oh, I'd say last July? Pretty sad considering we're talking about 100 sq ft... It is quite honestly the worst looking yard in the area; the grass is nearing knee deep at this point

I'm debating leaving an anonymous, not-so-subtle note with the numbers of some yardcare people for her...but not sure if I see that ploy working. Any advice? Can the city be called? I've thought about doing it myself, but I definitely don't want to give her an easy out here. This particular section of grass runs from the curb to < 10' in. Very irritating since I work so hard on my place, then look 20 feet over and see what almost looks like an abandoned townhome

Edited by OkieEric

Not sure if this goes here, but has anyone here dealt with a neighbor who apparently is oblivious to their yard? I live in a townhome (no fees), and the person in the sister unit at the front of the complex has not done any yardwork since...oh, I'd say last July? Pretty sad considering we're talking about 100 sq ft... It is quite honestly the worst looking yard in the area; the grass is nearing knee deep at this point

I'm debating leaving an anonymous, not-so-subtle note with the numbers of some yardcare people for her...but not sure if I see that ploy working. Any advice? Can the city be called? I've thought about doing it myself, but I definitely don't want to give her an easy out here. This particular section of grass runs from the curb to < 10' in. Very irritating since I work so hard on my place, then look 20 feet over and see what almost looks like an abandoned townhome

Yep, the City will issue a warning for weeds and grass that are too high, and will even mow the property themselves and place a lien on it if the owner does not comply.

Yep, the City will issue a warning for weeds and grass that are too high, and will even mow the property themselves and place a lien on it if the owner does not comply.

Now that's what I'm talking about - I'll dig around Houstontx.org and see what I can find! Hopefully it's high enough, lol

Before you sic the City on her, you might try a politely worded note, pointing out that you may have to call the City if she doesn't do at least minimal maintanance. Sweet talk usually gets you further. Who knows, you might find that she is a decent person who is just in a financial bind.

Of course, if she's a jerk, put 311 on your speed dial.

I wonder if simply calling 311 (Rat on a Rat) would be another alternative?

I would stress that the high grass is attracting heavy swarms of mosquitoes and culex is of main concern. I would start there then if to no vail, go higher up. :)

I'm with RedScare on this one - though I don't know that I'd even mention the city straight away. Granted I know little about the situation, but I liked your ideas of mowing it once for her and/or leaving her a note with some contact info for yard services. Guilt/gratefulness can be a big motivator, and that might be all it takes to do the trick and keep things neighborly. If it doesn't, the grass will grow back soon enough (esp. with the arrival of warm weather), and you can talk to the city then.

If you do leave a note for her - and if you know - you might suggest to her what a reasonable rate would be for lawn care. While it may sound silly to others, it's quite possible she's neglecting the yard because she doesn't know who to call or is intimidated because she doesn't know what a reasonable price would be - maybe it's her first time to be responsible for yard care.

Good luck with it, whatever you end up doing.

Edited by tmariar

I wonder if simply calling 311 (Rat on a Rat) would be another alternative?

I would stress that the high grass is attracting heavy swarms of mosquitoes and culex is of main concern. I would start there then if to no vail, go higher up. :)

LOL - ok, I'll try the note first and give her a week or so before calling the city. I'm lacking confidence in 311, though...I've called it 3 times to report water leaking from a neighbor's place out onto the street, yet it's still flowing and has been doing so for at least a month now (no joke). What's sad is that most of the water has been collecting in front of her place, meaning she has to drive through 3+ inches of water every time she comes home. Mosquitoes could definitely be an issue here in a few weeks!

LOL - ok, I'll try the note first and give her a week or so before calling the city. I'm lacking confidence in 311, though...I've called it 3 times to report water leaking from a neighbor's place out onto the street, yet it's still flowing and has been doing so for at least a month now (no joke). What's sad is that most of the water has been collecting in front of her place, meaning she has to drive through 3+ inches of water every time she comes home. Mosquitoes could definitely be an issue here in a few weeks!

Man I hope for her case that's not a broken water line after the meter that she's getting billed for...you should mention something to this neighbor also to have her to have a plumber look at it...b/c if it's been flowing for over a month and there's a break in her line her water bill could be well into the hundereds or higher.

Man I hope for her case that's not a broken water line after the meter that she's getting billed for...you should mention something to this neighbor also to have her to have a plumber look at it...b/c if it's been flowing for over a month and there's a break in her line her water bill could be well into the hundereds or higher.

Well, it's not her meter - it's a few houses down and runs down the street and pools up in front of her place. I keep figuring whoever owns the place will see their water bill and get it fixed, but it's still flowing...

Well, it's not her meter - it's a few houses down and runs down the street and pools up in front of her place. I keep figuring whoever owns the place will see their water bill and get it fixed, but it's still flowing...

depends on what side of the meter it is coming out of. if it is leaking before the meter, then their bill won't be affected and the fix will be free.

I called the city about a break in a ine on the street one time and nothing happened. I called again a few days later and they said that they did not see a leak. I told them to check again and gave specifics. About a year later the leak was fixzed.

Your post made me call yet again...and what do you know, they don't seem to have a record of my previous calls. Interesting... If that thing isn't fixed in a couple of months I'll go fix it myself. OK, maybe not, but I'll be really, really irritated

My luck astounds me here... First, the neighbor's yard is STILL trashy, even after I left my polite little note early last week. I saw someone mowing yards in the neighborhood today and got his number, so I might leave a "call this number or I'll 311 you" kinda note now. Stinks b/c I'm having a party this weekend, and now everyone will get to see my neighbor's yard in all its glory

Oh, and the water leak...that beautiful little water leak. It's still flowing, and I called 311 again today and they said they located it and that it was a "private leak". So apparently the owner of this place has been getting hit with this for over a month, yet no action... Any suggestions?? Looks like a multi-family property, as there are 2 addresses on the place.. She said I could call with the exact address and they'd inform some sort of neighborhood protection thing?? I'm really clueless here, but it sounded slow

same thing happened on our block. leak on the private side of the water meter on a vacant lot, repeated calls to 311 failed to do anything, finally the issue of standing water (read mosquitoes) and proximity to a school forced the city to come out and fix it, which they did.

same thing happened on our block. leak on the private side of the water meter on a vacant lot, repeated calls to 311 failed to do anything, finally the issue of standing water (read mosquitoes) and proximity to a school forced the city to come out and fix it, which they did.

There are already weeds growing in the water, so mosquitoes can't be too far behind. It's not completely stagnant, but I'm guessing that water flowing at the bottom of your driveway for over a month can't be too good for the road. Just hcad'd the owner, and apparently his mailing address is one of the units there. Maybe it'll be worth it to go talk to him

• 3 weeks later...

Miracle on Branard St...

Just thought I'd share - went through the usual 311 route for the water issue, and they eventually informed me that they'd pass it on to neighborhood protection for a 2-4 week investigation. Annoyed as I was at the long wait after 2 months of calls. I finally emailed the mayor through Houston's website and griped about the water leak.. Got a phone call a few days later and to my surprise, when I got home today the leak was gone. Seems to be an effective route of complaint...

On a side now\te, as soon as I noticed the lack of water, I looked over and saw my neighbor trimming her red-tips for the first time since I moved in last September... Will miracles never cease?

• 3 months later...

I have been looking at some properties in montrose in and around Avondale but still have not got a feel for the area yet. Is it on the rise or decaying. Not too much constuction around probably because of the city limitation.

How safe is it? What is the typical population there? I like to be close to everything - restaurants of Montrose etc and some of the surroundings are appealing but some are still not.

I have the same question about WESTMORELAND. What do you guys think about it?

(e.g. this house)

I have the same question about WESTMORELAND. What do you guys think about it?

(e.g. this house)

I've lived in Westmoreland since '85. The deed restrictions have been maintained, so there are no businesses within its boundries. Mostly a quiet neighborhood - a bit 'cracky' around the edges (as is Avondale.) You'd be hard pressed to find a neighborhood more convenient to everything (Downtown, Midtown, Med Center, Museum District, Montrose and Hwy 59S.)

The house on Marshall was built in 1913, (not 1940 - as usual, the appraisal district got it wrong <_< .) It's surrounded by apartment complexes, so the views aren't appealling as some other parts of the neighborhood, and has been considerably modified from its original appearance. I have the impression that it's nicer inside than the 'curb appeal' might indicate.

I've lived in Westmoreland since '85. The deed restrictions have been maintained, so there are no businesses within its boundries. Mostly a quiet neighborhood - a bit 'cracky' around the edges (as is Avondale.) You'd be hard pressed to find a neighborhood more convenient to everything (Downtown, Midtown, Med Center, Museum District, Montrose and Hwy 59S.)

Thanks for the info. Cracky sounds scary - does in result in the higher crime rate? Is it getting better or worse over the last few years? What about business dynamics?

By the way what do you guys think of this one (interesting house )?

does in result in the higher crime rate? Is it getting better or worse over the last few years? What about business dynamics?

By the way what do you guys think of this one (interesting house )?

not sure if i'd describe that new orleans style like the realtor did. maybe the courtyard area.

a coworker moved over there about 3 months ago and after week 1 her car was broken into. IMO it is more street type crime so if you have a fence you'd be less likely to be a target. they had the guts to spray paint the police storefront and got away with it.

I live in Audubon Place, west of Westmoreland. Yes, "cracky" is a pretty good description. Especially of the apartments at the corner of Garrott and Alabama.

Cars get broken into if you leave them on the street. Sort of a fact of life. But we have pretty good police response. Oddly enough, a byproduct of this vigilance is parking tickets for people parking on the wrong side of the street (who knew?)

Check http://www.ericcarlson.net/crimestats/1A20.html for a crime map.

I very seldom feel unsafe.

I live in Audubon Place, west of Westmoreland. Yes, "cracky" is a pretty good description. Especially of the apartments at the corner of Garrott and Alabama.

Cars get broken into if you leave them on the street. Sort of a fact of life. But we have pretty good police response. Oddly enough, a byproduct of this vigilance is parking tickets for people parking on the wrong side of the street (who knew?)

Check http://www.ericcarlson.net/crimestats/1A20.html for a crime map.

I very seldom feel unsafe.

Thanks for the map link. I got the idea... But what's the dynamics? Is it getting better or worse? Does/will it affect it affect prices and resale values of the homes. Is there a trend to tear-down the questionable apartments in favor of new developments?

Any more comments on this property link ? I toured it and it definitely has a lot of potential but it looks overpriced to me.

The apartments don't get torn down as much as the bungalows. My theory about that is the apartments are usually cash flow positive, there is no cost to the owner (they seldom perform any maintenance) and until the taxes make it prohibitive they will just sit there polluting the neighborhoods. But once they move, expensive new development moves in.

I don't recognize the that house (why don't they have a photo of the outside?) but you will have more foot traffic on that side of Westheimer than we do on the south side.

I would personally be hesitant to buy a house in a neighborhood that I was hoping would change. Sort of like marrying someone whom you hope to "make better"

Good luck. Low ball an offer on the house. In this market they may bite.

Its sad to think of what beautiful mansions stood before most of those ugly old apartments were built. Some of those apts appear to have been built around 1950-60's.

Reminds me of the horrible demolition of the hundreds of beautiful Victorians that once lined San Francisco's west end of Van Ness Ave. during the late 1960's. The had all survived the 1906 quake but preservation was in it's early stages and big developent wiped up clean and built crappy modern apts.

If Westmoreland gets eaten up by development, well another serious slap in the face for Houston. :(

I recently moved to Westmoreland. I think that the area has all of the character that you can wish for, especially in Houston. Pretty much anything/everything is available within reasonable distance, and the residents are a great mix of people. I'm with everybody else on the fact that some of the street people are shady. Four days ago I parked in front of my gate on the street, so that I could run inside my house really quick, then go again. I had 3 (really nice) bikes on the back of my vehicle, locked up. I went inside for 5 minutes, came back out, the lock had been cut and the bikes gone. Thank goodness for insurance! I'm sure that they are now either at a pawn shop or inside the courtyard of Skylane Apartments. Those apartments are the only thing in the area that bugs me. Otherwise I would consider the area pretty safe, especially because living in the very inner city there will be petty street crimes that occur. I previously lived downtown for three years, and then in the warehouse district for two. So for me, it's nice to be able to walk places and not get pestered. And of course the fact that I look out of my windows and see something green is nice, too.

I'm familiar with the house...errr Casa Gato... that you linked on Taft, I pass it regularly. What an eccentric place! I think that with some work, it could be a pretty cool place to live. It certainly needs some paint and a carpenter. The louvered millwork everywhere is really odd. But I really like where it is, and the privacy it affords.

Edited by Jersey01

• 1 month later...