Proposed Astrodome Hotel

Subdude

What would be really cool is if somehow the light rail expansion could go right through the dome. I always thought that the dome would make a perfect "Grand Central" for Houstons light rail.

...the problem being that the dome isn't central.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5785786.html

Entrepreneurs seeking to reinvent the Astrodome as an upscale convention hotel have reached a proposed lease agreement with the Harris County Sports and Convention Corp., county officials said today.

But before the deal can become a reality, the sports corporation will enter into what are expected to be thorny negotiations with the Houston Texans and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo over whether the convention hotel would violate their rights.

"We expect that when the rodeo gets this, they will have questions, and there will be negotiating and compromising," said County Attorney Mike Stafford.

The proposed lease was expected months ago, but it took the sports corporation longer than expected to work out details because the county attorney's office has been reviewing it carefully, Stafford said.

"We were making sure that (Reliant Park's primary) tenants' rights were protected or observed," he said.

The Texans and the rodeo have opposed the 1,300-room, $450 million Dome convention hotel, saying it would hurt their operations and siphon off revenue.

Commissioners Court will have final whether the convention hotel goes forward.

In other words, it looks like talks are ongoing. Slow, but ongoing.

In the end, the Texans and the HLSR are just building up some really bad PR.

No, in the end, they are saving their revenue's, one of which is a non profit who provides far more than any hotel would provide to Houston. They are looking out for their LEGAL contracts which are thankfully protected by law, not just the whims of people wanting to give away county owned land.

No, in the end, they are saving their revenue's, one of which is a non profit who provides far more than any hotel would provide to Houston. They are looking out for their LEGAL contracts which are thankfully protected by law, not just the whims of people wanting to give away county owned land.

Yours and Kinkaidalum's comments aren't mutually exclusive. In protecting their rights, they could still be doing themselves a disservice, PR-wise. People around here love their Texans and the Rodeo, but like it or not some love the Dome even more. Woe be unto he who brings the wrecking ball to Judge Hofheinz's baby.

Yes, they are saving their revenues. Don't you think the Texans and McNair have enough of those? And, while the Rodeo is a GREAT event and has benefitted the city, it is assinine to say those benefits would outstrip those of a mega convention hotel. Yes, scholarship money is raised and people are entertained and some out of town visitors come to see it but that PALES in comparison to what a facility like the proposed hotel could bring to Houston.

I think it is funny how worked-up people seem to get about the convention hotel...

HLSR and Texans only have events going on for what, less than 2 months total a year? We are going to "protect" those 2 months by prohibiting the development of a $450 million convention hotel in the beloved Astrodome? As far as cost-benefits go, this seems like a no-brainer to me (although I am still skeptical this sort of convention hotel would be totally successful).

I think it is funny how worked-up people seem to get about the convention hotel...

HLSR and Texans only have events going on for what, less than 2 months total a year? We are going to "protect" those 2 months by prohibiting the development of a $450 million convention hotel in the beloved Astrodome? As far as cost-benefits go, this seems like a no-brainer to me (although I am still skeptical this sort of convention hotel would be totally successful).

In my opinion there is a lot of confusion about this convention hotel project. The Rodeo and the Texans are not against it. What they are against is the attempt to sneak an amusement park in along with the hotel. I have been unable to determine whether the original proposal to the county was intended to be for a hotel only, or whether the poposal got changed. But at this point there doesn't seem to be a proposal on the table for a CONVENTION HOTEL ONLY. Maybe the hotel people were trying to pull a fast one from the beginning. Or maybe they got the idea for the amusement park later. But one thing is certain: the amusement park would impact the revenues of the Rodeo and because of traffic issues probably the Texans too.

Every time the Chron does an article on the Dome, this CENTRAL amusement park issue just seems to get pushed into the background. I partly blame the politicians for this. The more they can confuse the casual followers of this matter, the more pressure they think they can put on the Rodeo and Texans to cave in. But I also blame the Chron. This has always been the central issue and the Chron shouldn't allow it to be fuzzed over.

In my opinion there is a lot of confusion about this convention hotel project. The Rodeo and the Texans are not against it. What they are against is the attempt to sneak an amusement park in along with the hotel. I have been unable to determine whether the original proposal to the county was intended to be for a hotel only, or whether the poposal got changed. But at this point there doesn't seem to be a proposal on the table for a CONVENTION HOTEL ONLY. Maybe the hotel people were trying to pull a fast one from the beginning. Or maybe they got the idea for the amusement park later. But one thing is certain: the amusement park would impact the revenues of the Rodeo and because of traffic issues probably the Texans too.

Every time the Chron does an article on the Dome, this CENTRAL amusement park issue just seems to get pushed into the background. I partly blame the politicians for this. The more they can confuse the casual followers of this matter, the more pressure they think they can put on the Rodeo and Texans to cave in. But I also blame the Chron. This has always been the central issue and the Chron shouldn't allow it to be fuzzed over.

Funny, you'd think that HSLR or the Texans would've at least put out a press release to that effect.

Well, I would assume a $450 million convention hotel in a building the size of the astrodome would have amusement park-like features... like the Gaylord convention hotels (You can almost see them doing something like the Gaylord Texan).

I just don't see this having a significant negative impact on revenues of the Texans or HLSR, especially not out of proportion to the benefit to the city and county.

Well, I would assume a $450 million convention hotel in a building the size of the astrodome would have amusement park-like features... like the Gaylord convention hotels (You can almost see them doing something like the Gaylord Texan).

I just don't see this having a significant negative impact on revenues of the Texans or HLSR, especially not out of proportion to the benefit to the city and county.

I have to agree with this statement. I've been known to go across the street for an inning during a ballgame at MMP for vastly less expensive booze, but out of the tens of thousands of people in attendance, it always seems as though I'm almost totally alone.

I agree too. And I wouldn't be surprised if the HLSR and the Texans agree (privately) as well. Nonetheless, if they've got non-compete protection in their contracts with the county, then they probably see this as an opportunity to coax the county into sweetening their deal just a little bit.

I'm not that worried about the oppostion from the HLSR & the Texans. If this hotel deal turns out to be viable in the county's eyes (who knows whether that's true?), I believe all the parties will come to some agreement. This just sounds like rich people with lawyers wanting to get what they think is theirs. In the end, they're rational businesspeople.

Funny, you'd think that HSLR or the Texans would've at least put out a press release to that effect.

I got the following from Swamplot. It's from a previous Chron story.There's a lot more over there if you care to look. Like I said, the Chronicle's reporting on this has not been stellar. I believe commisioner's court is being less than frank about the situation, and the Chron needs to point it out in every article they do. The issue is not the hotel.

In the latest installment of the Chronicle

Edited by happytown

• 3 weeks later...
not sure if anyone's said this already, but I think they should just turn it into the worlds largest parking garage, maybe with a few restaurants on the top level....at least then it would solve the parking problem and still look good from the outside.

It's really not a bad idea. That would do more to preserve the exterior appearance than the hotel idea.

• 2 months later...

Today's Chronicle reports that the Rodeo & Texans are sounding a little more open to the proposed Astrodome Convention Hotel project of late. Not surprisingly, it seems it was always about negotiating a better deal...

"Despite their previous staunch opposition to the project, the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo and the Texans signaled that they may be able to coexist with a convention hotel that would be built in the Astrodome...."

...the problem being that the dome isn't central.
How would the light rail expansion go through the dome? It isn't even near any of the new lines.

it was just his dream ,its not like anyones actually gonna do that

dreamcrushing is a bad thing... -_-

Edited by citizen4rmptown

• 2 weeks later...