Proposed Astrodome Hotel

Subdude

It would take a Houstonian or someone very familiar with the city to make that happen.

I don't trust none of them dang outsiders. They best keep on outta here anyhow.

I don't even care about that. I just think it would add a new dimension to the economy and keeps the dome in its original exterior shape without trying to make into some cheesy hotel idea.

I was good with the hotel idea when it was first proposed a couple of years ago, but my opinion has changed since then. I agree it's a cheesy idea. Judging by the old rendering it was hokey. As I said already, they'd probably give it a corny Texas theme.

As for this studio, I'm not all that confident it'll happen, but I'm for it if it does.

As for this studio, I'm not all that confident it'll happen, but I'm for it if it does.

I seriously doubt this studio thing ever happens.

I personally think the Astrodome should come down. Have you guys seen this thing lately? It is in a state of total disrepair, and would require an unreasonable amount of money to refurbish, icon from the 60s or not. :huh:

It is in a state of total disrepair, and would require an unreasonable amount of money to refurbish, icon from the 60s or not. :huh:

Can you post your assessment of the repairs and their costs? I'm interested in seeing how much work it needs.

flipper

This project has my vote. More diversity in Houston's workplace and putting Texas on the map for the movie industry works for me. Of course, saving the Dome is the most important.

I like the idea...brings another industry to the city and added revenue to local hotels and restaurants...very different climate (heat and huminity)....but who knows, if it becomes successful..maybe build a theme park where Astroworld once stood....'Astrodome Studio Theme Park'.

It's not "wrong" but it certainly has an element of "vengeful," whether implicit or not.

Would any proposal for the dome need to have some concessions towards the Rodeo & Texans, since they were playing hard ball the last go round with the hotel? Or was that symptomatic of the hotel proposal itself?

• 2 weeks later...

i like the idea of the Astrodome Studios. i live around this area and it would be great to call this are the "Entertainment District".....granted---hopefully nothing too sleazy pops up. We have the Museum District, The Medical Center, Downtown, Uptown, Midtown...it would be nice to tell people i live someplace more recognizable than "just south of reliant"

• 1 month later...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6152517.html

Edgar Colon, chairman of the Harris County Sports and Convention Corp., which oversees Reliant Park, said progress continues to be made, and he is hopeful that Texans and rodeo's concerns can be addressed.

The county will let those discussions continue until the end of March before deciding whether an impasse has been reached, he said.

Astrodome Redevelopment would have 18 months to obtain financing if a lease was signed.

But before it could even seek financing, the company would need final, detailed construction drawings prepared for the 1,300-room hotel, Hanson said.

Those drawings would cost about about $10 million and take eight months to prepare.

Only then could it head to financial institutions in search of a loan.

"Our hope is that credit eases and is more available when we go to market," Hanson said.

So if they came to an agreement in March, three and a half years after this was first proposed, then they'd have until August 2010 to obtain financing. I really wish they've give them about an extra six months of safety, just in case. I'd hate to see them have to renegotiate their lease agreement after all this and risk having to start over from scratch.

Edited by TheNiche