Proposed Astrodome Hotel

Subdude

Just got this from Judge Emmett's office. Maybe some day HAIF will be able to afford to have our own reporter in Houston who can go to these things for us.

HARRIS COUNTY COMMISSIONERS COURT

TO RECEIVE STATUS REPORT ON ASTRODOME

County Attorney, Budget Officer To Summarize Efforts

Of Group Hoping To Redevelop Dome As Convention Hotel

Harris County officials will present Commissioners Court with a status report Tuesday morning of recent efforts to redevelop the Harris County Astrodome as a 1,300-unit convention center hotel.

Harris County's Management Services Department presented court members with a 110-page report last week outlining a proposal made by Astrodome Redevelopment Corporation to reconfigure the Reliant Astrodome into a hotel. The corporation, known as ARC, had exclusive rights to propose redeveloping the Dome from July 2006 until Jan. 29, when its letter of intent expired. At that time, the county became free to consider proposals from other groups interested in redeveloping the site as well as those from ARC.

Although the county's Management Service Department reports that the draft of a lease agreement with ARC is near completion, County Judge Ed Emmett has said repeatedly that he wants reassurance that the group has the necessary financing to proceed with the project.

"We don't want to see the Astrodome razed, and nobody is proposing such a drastic act," Emmett said. "But we should be extremely careful about pledging ourselves to any multimillion-dollar commercial speculation until we can be certain that the project is truly viable. If it is not, we need to seek other options."

The status report is to be presented to Commissioners Court at its regularly scheduled meeting at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2008. Commissioners Court meets on the ninth floor of the Harris County Administration Building at 1001 Preston in downtown Houston.

If converting the dome into a hotel/convention center... was really a good idea... honestly... it would be done. Supporters of this idea claim a 72% occupancy rate of such a facility (per the chronicle). I doubt those numbers. The business case is all wrong for it, regardless of who ends up paying for it (tax payers or private business), and losing their (or our) shirts. In terms of debt, prior contracts, bonds left to pay, tearing the place down and re-using the land for something else, income - all those have monetary values. If the honest business case were strong enough, a viable alternative use (or re-use) of the dome would emerge. It hasn't.

It is what it is: a huge sports arena, sitting right next to huge (competing) sports arena. It is optimized for such use... I think the bonds (that we issued to remodel the place in the 1980's) are paid of in 2012 (on the order of 50 million). You can bet that's going to factor into the fate of the dome... that said, Seattle didn't wait... they leveled theirs with debt left to pay.

Shortsightedness. What is the benefit of tearing down the Dome? What does that produce ten years from now? Having a 1,000-room convention hotel will be better in the long run. Can be home to whoever is using the Reliant Arena or Reliant Stadium for various events. Just take a look at the Gaylord Texan to see a success story. It is not more profitable than Nashville's Domed-hotel. That is what the Astrodome can become.

I was for the Astrodome hotel idea, but not anymore. I'd rather see a second convention hotel go downtown, like the city was discussing a few weeks ago. If the city can support three convention hotels, then fine, turn the Astrodome into a hotel. I'd rather see the Astrodome turned into a giant version of Space Mountain, but that's probably not very practical.

This just in...

--------------

HARRIS COUNTY OFFICIALS GIVE GREEN LIGHT

TO PROSPECTIVE ASTRODOME SUITORS

Commissioners Court Unanimously Approves Measure Encouraging Potential Stadium Redevelopment

Harris County Commissioners Court voted unanimously Tuesday to encourage Astrodome Redevelopment Corporation and all other interested parties to move forward with plans to redevelop the county-owned stadium once dubbed "The Eighth Wonder of the World."

County officials are hoping to find a viable economic use for the vacant stadium, which costs county taxpayers approximately $2.5 million a year to maintain. County officials have stressed repeatedly that there are no discussions or proposals to raze the Dome, which captured worldwide attention when it opened in 1965.

"Commissioners Court is in complete agreement," said County Judge Ed Emmett. "We want the Astrodome redeveloped into a profitable venture once again - one that respects the history of the stadium while recognizing the needs of the Harris County taxpayers who own it."

Today's action by the court encourages Astrodome Redevelopment Corporation (ARC) or any other vendor to proceed with any economically viable venture that could make use of the stadium.

Harris County's Management Services Department presented court members with a 110-page report last week outlining ARC's proposal to reconfigure the Reliant Astrodome into a hotel. ARC had exclusive rights to propose redeveloping the Dome from July 2006 until Jan. 29, when its letter of intent expired. At that time, the county became free to consider proposals from ARC and all other groups interested in redeveloping the site.

Although the county's Management Service Department reported that the draft of a lease agreement with ARC is near completion, County Judge Ed Emmett has said repeatedly that he wants reassurance that the group has the necessary financing to proceed with the project.

"The Astrodome is an extremely valuable asset to this region, economically and emotionally," said Emmett. "It's crucial that we protect the stadium and the financial interests of the taxpayers who own it."

YES! Looks like the hotel is moving forward! Deal with it Rodeo and Texans.

I'm not sure this release is anything more than spin on the part of the Commissioners Court to appear like they support a future for the Dome that doesn't involve demolition. It doesn't sound like there's any good news in it for the hotel, as it says "and all other interested parties."

In other words... To the Hotel developers: "Get your act together, or we'll consider other options," and to the voters of Houston, "PLEASE don't take this to mean we support the politically suicidal notion of razing the Dome!!"

There's nothing new in it at all, is there? Astrodome Redevelopment Corp. still loses its exclusivity rights, but the Court hopes progress will be made.

Harris County Commissioners Court voted unanimously Tuesday to encourage Astrodome Redevelopment Corporation and all other interested parties to move forward with plans to redevelop the county-owned stadium once dubbed "The Eighth Wonder of the World."

Eversole forcing Rodeo and Texans hand?

The on-again-off-again Astrodome convention hotel plan is on again after Commissioners Court voted Tuesday to seek a deal with the project's developers.

The court authorized county officials to mediate differences between Astrodome Redevelopment Co. and two opponents of the project, the Texans and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.

County Judge Ed Emmett said the vote was not needed because negotiations could continue without any action by the court.

But Commissioner Jerry Eversole urged the court to take a position.

County renews effort for deal on Dome hotel

I'd say more like he's forcing anyone who comes forward with an idea to make sure they deal honestly and fairly with the Texans and Rodeo who are the major tenants to whom the County has contractual obligations.

That's not the way I read it...

The Texans and the rodeo oppose the Dome convention hotel because they say it would hurt their operations and siphon off revenue.

Emmett has said he is not doing the rodeo's bidding by appearing to oppose the Dome hotel.

Eversole has said it appears that the rodeo and Texans, Reliant Park's main tenants, are trying to dictate the decision the county makes about the Dome's future.

Maybe I'm reading a little to much into this, but I think Shafer pretty much sums up the rodeo's feelings about the dome here. I for one will be boycotting the rodeo indefinately.

"As long as they do not violate the lease, we could care less about what they do with the dome," he said.

Maybe I'm reading a little to much into this, but I think Shafer pretty much sums up the rodeo's feelings about the dome here. I for one will be boycotting the rodeo indefinately.

"As long as they do not violate the lease, we could care less about what they do with the dome," he said.

So here's a question: If they did come up with a plan for the Astrodome hotel that made profit for the County after all the money that's been lost so far, and the hotel committee came up with a plan to keep traffic and parking issues at a minimum (like, say, underground parking at the Reliant complex for hotel tenants, while Reliant Park attendees parked on the surface), would the Rodeo and Texans still oppose it?

read read read

He said he COULD care less, not could not. :wacko:

I wonder if that was his real quote or the chron's mess up

read read read

He said he COULD care less, not could not. :wacko:

I wonder if that was his real quote or the chron's mess up

Excuse me my little friend but the quote meant exactly what I was refering to. Let me repeat what Shafer said. "As long as they do not violate the lease, we could care less about what they do with the dome," he said".

Saying that you "could care less about what they do with the dome" would mean that you DO NOT CARE what the dome is used for as long as it doesn't affect your precious rodeo. Right?

Excuse me my little friend but the quote meant exactly what I was refering to. Let me repeat what Shafer said. "As long as they do not violate the lease, we could care less about what they do with the dome," he said".

Saying that you "could care less about what they do with the dome" would mean that you DO NOT CARE what the dome is used for as long as it doesn't affect your precious rodeo. Right?

Either way, I guess that could be interpreted as him not caring. But it was a joke. If he could 'care less' then that means he could actually care less. The purpose is that the correct term is, 'could not care less.' :)

Either way, I guess that could be interpreted as him not caring. But it was a joke. If he could 'care less' then that means he could actually care less. The purpose is that the correct term is, 'could not care less.' :)

I understand what the correct term is lockmat, but if you will take the advice you gave me you will find that in context he meant exactly what I was refering to.

I understand what the correct term is lockmat, but if you will take the advice you gave me you will find that in context he meant exactly what I was refering to.

it was just a joke. i was messing w/ you. That's why my last sentence in my first response to that quote states that i'm wondering if it was the chron's messup or the guy actually said that.

on w/ the show!

it was just a joke. i was messing w/ you. That's why my last sentence in my first response to that quote states that i'm wondering if it was the chron's messup or the guy actually said that.

on w/ the show!

Ok sorry about the rebuttle. It's sometimes hard to tell certain emotions on the net.

• 2 months later...
Sound stage is the best use for the Astrodome, anything else would not make fiscal sense.

What the hell? Nothing else would make fiscal sense other then a sound stage? I think a Convention Center/Hotel (like the Gaylord Texan) would.

Sound stage is the best use for the Astrodome, anything else would not make fiscal sense.

Yeah I don't really know what this means, but I would definitely like to hear more. Nothing else suggested has really made sense.

It would be nice if this somehow created a small media/entertainment economy piece of Houston. Once again, I still don't really know what or how this soundstage would work. But that's why I would like it.

I was thinking that a football stadium would be the best use of the Astrodome. Probably makes fiscal sense, too. Too bad there is already one next door.

If the Gaylord hospitality company was in charge of this project you could pretty much garuntee that it would be a success. They are the masters of large multifunctional hotel attractions. I would venture to guess that the GaylordOpryland Hotel has almost as much sf as the astrodome. Its a beast. What would be really cool is if somehow the light rail expansion could go right through the dome. I always thought that the dome would make a perfect "Grand Central" for Houstons light rail. With the dining, shopping,banking and hotel amenities included. all of the train lines would pass through the dome making all of houston accessible from this one location.