William P. Hobby Airport

ricco67

MLB is the designator for Melbourne International Airport, serving the eponymous small city on the Atlantic coast of Florida.  Perhaps you meant MEL, the airport that serves the city in Australia?

• Like 1

That last picture needs to be kept for posterity. Take that photo and then compare it to the same shot in 2024 , 2034, etc. I think we will be astounded how much DT is going to change in the next two decades. I think we are in a similar building boom circa 1977 through 1985, even if the towers are shorter, the impact on the DT skyline is going to be dynamic. As exasperated as I could be to see all of those parking lots in the FOURTH largest city in the US, I think of the potential; forward thinking all the way. AND I remind myself of LA. Have we all seen THEIR DT?! Concrete city as well. Sprawling cities such as ours, I feel, are experiencing a reincarnation of their urbanism. Let's see what HTown does with her reincarnation of urbanism.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What are the odds that the Houston Airport System and Metro might work together to extend the Southeast Light Rail line to Hobby? I imagine the payoff to connect a smaller airport like Hobby to downtown and other locations might not be enough to justify the cost. 

What are the odds that the Houston Airport System and Metro might work together to extend the Southeast Light Rail line to Hobby? I imagine the payoff to connect a smaller airport like Hobby to downtown and other locations might not be enough to justify the cost.

It would be fantastic if they were to do that or to IAH. One great example of light rail connection to the airport I can think of is in my hometown - Seattle. They finished the Central Link light rail line in 2009. It connects SeaTac International Airport to downtown Seattle. Much like the Southeast Line here, it serves many lower income neighborhoods as well. Much of the line runs at street level like ours here, with some portions elevated and some underground. I've used it many times on trips there and it's very convenient.

• Like 1

The light rail Seattle has from SeaTac is 17 miles.  Our RED line is 12.8 miles and has the second ridership after Boston.  The original plan was to expand to both airports. Seattle is just 84 square miles, it could fit inside the loop.  METRO cannot get the University Line built.  Expanding to the airports is not even on the table.  Hopefully in 20 years.   :( 

According to Metro Board member Christof Spieler, "Rail to Hobby and IAH is still in the long term plan, though, given the uncertainties of funding, there’s no way anyone can give a date."

Speaking of Boston, Boston doesn't even have rail to their airport yet -- they are still running BRT for that line.  So I can't see them doing rail to even Hobby anytime soon (though Hobby would be a lot cheaper to get to than Intercontinental).  Someday, sure.

The light rail Seattle has from SeaTac is 17 miles.  Our RED line is 12.8 miles and has the second ridership after Boston.  The original plan was to expand to both airports. Seattle is just 84 square miles, it could fit inside the loop.  METRO cannot get the University Line built.  Expanding to the airports is not even on the table.  Hopefully in 20 years.   :(

The distance from the Northline Transit Center to IAH seems insurmountable, but the Southeast line terminates about 5 or 6 miles away from Hobby. Granted, in light rail terms that's a fortune, but it still seems do-able. In the meantime, they could provide shuttles to travelers from Hobby to the Palm Center Terminus.

I don't think it's insurmountable, it's the routing that would trade speed and ridership that would be the challenge.

The way Culberson wrote the anti rail bill, it might be prudent if metro looked at other routes to get funding.

Speaking of Boston, Boston doesn't even have rail to their airport yet -- they are still running BRT for that line.  So I can't see them doing rail to even Hobby anytime soon (though Hobby would be a lot cheaper to get to than Intercontinental).  Someday, sure.

They have an "airport" station on the blue line that has shuttle buses that get you to the terminals within 5 min.  

In addition they have the Silver line, so they have two methods of getting to the airport. 

• Like 1

On the topic at hand an international terminal at this airport will be a great addition. I haven't really seen the need to comment because I scanned through and saw no renderings, floorplans, or links to what it's going to actually be there, but it would be nice if anyone has any info or links that would be much appreciated.

Edited by bachanon
Cleaning up "derailed" thread.
  • Like 1

(in an attempt to get back on topic...) 

According to its website, Southwest will start service from HOU to Aruba, Montego Bay, and Nassau on August 5.  I suspect that is facilitated by the fact that you clear US Customs at the airport in Nassau before you board your return flight.  

It's going to be nice to have some alternatives.

Regarding the actual topic... is 5 international gates enough? It seems like a pretty small number for an international terminal. But I'm sure they know what they are doing.

(in an attempt to get back on topic...) 

According to its website, Southwest will start service from HOU to Aruba, Montego Bay, and Nassau on August 5.  I suspect that is facilitated by the fact that you clear US Customs at the airport in Nassau before you board your return flight.  

It's going to be nice to have some alternatives.

I'm pretty sure those are connecting through Atlanta and Baltimore. Don't think we will see any direct international service until late 2015.

Regarding the actual topic... is 5 international gates enough? It seems like a pretty small number for an international terminal. But I'm sure they know what they are doing.

I'm pretty sure those are connecting through Atlanta and Baltimore. Don't think we will see any direct international service until late 2015.

The master plan shows another international wing on the opposite side, but idk the starting date. Maybe they'll bump it up if it becomes apparent that 5 won't be enough.

• Like 1

I haven't bothered to go through and plot the itineraries, but Orlando would be the most direct intermediate stop (not that Southwest wouldn't be above having you change planes at MDW just for giggles).  Last time I went there, that's where Continental had you change onto a turboprop on all flights save the one daily nonstop, which was itself on a regional jet.  I don't see going HOU - Nassau nonstop on Southwest for the foreseeable future.

As far as whether five gates would be enough - perhaps we could change the name from Hobby to Field of Dreams (build it and they will come).

I agree that it will also be really good for IAH to get underway with its massive rebuild of the Leland terminal; however, not to be a broken record or anything, it's nice to have some alternatives.  Personally, I prefer going in and out of Hobby when I can because it's more convenient for me.  YMMV.

I'm responding to reports from earlier today:

Thanks for keeping everything on topic HAIFers and bringing order even when mods are not around!  You guys are the best!

Please try to remain civil when corralling those who get off track.

Unfortunately, I have nothing to offer on the international terminal at Hobby Airport and have not read entire thread: do we know what it will look like?  Architects?

• Like 1