William P. Hobby Airport

ricco67

I did this twice 1999.  The first time I was connecting, and flew HOU-IAH-EWR.  The second time I just flew HOU-IAH.  One of the airlines (probably Continental) advertised it as a protest against the high price of parking at IAH.  Apparently you could park for half as much or free or something at HOU, and if you booked your flight with this particular airline they threw in the HOU-IAH segment for free.  

I did the HOU-IAH only flight because back then you would get 500 frequent flyer miles just for getting off the ground, and I needed something like 300 to get a free trip to Europe.  I think I went to Amsterdam.

• Like 1

I flew from Sugar Land to IAH on Metro Airlines a number of times in the early 80's. They flew a Twin Otter, and if you connected to Eastern, the flight was essentially free. An added bonus was the free parking at the Sugar Land airport.

• Like 2

Continental used to run a shuttle from Ellington to IAH .. I flew it several times when I moved to Houston b/c I lived right near Ellington.  Parking at Ellington was free.  The only thing that sucked was once I was flying home and I got to IAH and had to wait 2 to 3 hours for my flight to Ellington ... could have driven!  haha   It was convienent though not having to look and pay for parking.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back yesterday from DEN IAH it left DEN at 250pm we landed early 600pm.  I got my upgrade and it was very nice!  Late afternoon flights they do serve meals.  They did on my flight.  Very tasty shrimp salad.  That plane is amazing, when you walk in it so big and LED lights are cool.  I love the windows!  I cannot believe UA will have 60 of them.  Not including the other planes on order 737 Max and the Airbus 350-1000. 

• 2 weeks later...

They were unwilling to give up slots at DCA. If it was approved they will eventually de hub PHL because JFK is will be preferred. What will happen to PHX because American Airlines is has a hub in LAX. They do not need PHX and they also have MIA and DFW. United is killing them in ORD. The anti trust lawyer has never lost. He killed AT&T and T Mobile merger. And sued Apple for price fixing. Now that Us Airways and American Airlines are making profits. I think it's dead. The DOJ has big pockets and proof. Even Doug Parker said from US Airways once the merger is done both airlines will cut capacity and raise fares. It was on CNN and that is all the proof they need. And what happened to PIT. US Airways had 500 flights a day. They down to 50 since they merged with America West.

For those of us who fly United frequently, it may be a good thing if this merger is blocked, or else we lose a Star Alliance member. US Airways is often my backup domestic airline in the event of exorbitantly priced UA flights, since I still get elite benefits and FFMs. Plus, I don't think consolidating more airlines can possibly lead to better airfares. 

Your right they are a good partner. Be careful being a Premier Member I flew BOS to LGA on US Airways I only got 236 miles. I did not get the 500 minimum. I should have flown to EWR on United. On US Airways I booked a reward ticket to HNL via PHX in their first class (Envoy) it sucks. Never do that again. I think they need the merger more than American Airlines.

They were unwilling to give up slots at DCA. If it was approved they will eventually de hub PHL because JFK is will be preferred. What will happen to PHX because American Airlines is has a hub in LAX. They do not need PHX and they also have MIA and DFW. United is killing them in ORD. The anti trust lawyer has never lost. He killed AT&T and T Mobile merger. And sued Apple for price fixing. Now that Us Airways and American Airlines are making profits. I think it's dead. The DOJ has big pockets and proof. Even Doug Parker said from US Airways once the merger is done both airlines will cut capacity and raise fares. It was on CNN and that is all the proof they need. And what happened to PIT. US Airways had 500 flights a day. They down to 50 since they merged with America West.

I agree that they will de hub PHL, but I'm not so sure that they would eliminate PHX.  LAX is pretty capacity constrained and I don't think that they have the room to address the additional PHX volume there.

You might be right about DOJ, but it's a stretch to me to buy into an overall loss of competitiveness in the US airline market by dropping to four major airlines.  I totally agree that there are certain markets that will have a loss of competitiveness and that those have to be addressed.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if US Airways really did cut way back in PHL.  I think that SWA still has a lot of potential upside in the Northeast and PHL could be a portal for them to expand internationally if they really are interested in heading that way.

Besides, a US Airways/American partnership is a lot better for my personal mileage!

I feel bad for PIT. US Airways control center is there. If the merger gets approved they will lay off 1,000 workers there. Because AA control center is in Fort Worth. I think it got axed. The Dallas Morning News is saying Obama axed it. I'm going to SEA tomorrow and my ticket was $1,234 but on US Airways it was $950 via PHX. They do not have economy plus and I got my upgrade on a brand new 737-900ER. I'm sorry US Airway just suck. Last year United had lots of glitches. This year I have had no problems. I feel bad for the AA employees.

• 4 weeks later...
September 14, 2013

Subscribe
  • flw-google-plus.png
  • flw-facebook.png
  • flw-twitter.png
  • flw-rss.png
UNITED Re-Introduces Boeing 787 on Houston – London Heathrow Service from late-Dec 2013
by JL

Update at 0200GMT 14SEP13

According to routine schedule update on 14SEP13, UNITED from 20DEC13 is re-introducing Boeing 787-8 operation on Houston – London Heathrow route, initially operating 5 times a week (LHR departure from 21DEC13). Service to increase to daily between March and May 2014.

UA921 IAH1525 – 0650+1LHR 763 D
UA985 IAH1815 – 0940+1LHR 763 D
UA970 IAH2040 – 1205+1LHR 763 14
UA102 IAH2055 – 1205+1LHR 788 x14

UA920 LHR0920 – 1405IAH 763 D
UA984 LHR1140 – 1625IAH 763 D
UA103 LHR1335 – 1805IAH 788 x25
UA971 LHR1335 – 1820IAH 763 25

From 04MAR14 to 05MAY14, Boeing 787 operation (UA102/103) increases to daily, however Boeing 787 operation is scheduled until 05MAY14 inclusive (IAH departure).

(Visited 1,332 times, 1,332 visits today)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got this press release in the e-mail:

Hobby Airport is Now Even Closer to International Service

Houston Mayor Annise Parker joined representatives from Southwest Airlines for a groundbreaking ceremony on Monday, celebrating the beginning of construction on a new $156 million  international terminal at William P. Hobby Airport (HOU). 

Once completed, the five-gate facility will accommodate regional international flights for Southwest Airlines, with service reaching destinations in the Caribbean, Mexico and the northern cities of South America. 

Mayor Paker, as well as local and state dignitaries, joined Southwest Airlines employees in the brief ceremony before work immediately began. 

“Establishing international air service at William P. Hobby Airport will benefit Houston passengers in a variety of different ways, including increasing competition, boosting the local economy and strengthening the ties that already exist with our friends in Latin America,” says Mayor Parker. “And perhaps the best news of all, it comes at no expense to the Houston taxpayer.” 

The terminal project, fully funded by Southwest Airlines, includes a new five-gate international terminal, expansion of the existing security checkpoint, and upgrades to the Southwest Airlines ticketing counter area. 

“With this new international terminal, we are not only literally breaking ground at Hobby Airport, we are charting new territory for our company and for low cost and high value air travel,” said Gary Kelly, CEO of Southwest Airlines. “This will be Southwest’s first international terminal in our 43-year history and we look forward to bringing lower fares and more international flights to a city that could benefit from increased competition.” 

A 2012 study commissioned by the Houston Airport System indicates that the new terminal will generate more than 10,000 jobs across the Greater Houston metropolitan area and will provide an economic impact of $1.6 billion. The study estimates that the terminal will bring in an additional 1 million passengers per year at Hobby Airport.

In support of the project, and in anticipation of the expected increase in passenger traffic, the Houston Airport System will be making significant investments of its own, constructing a new multi-level parking garage and making improvements to the existing roadway system. 

“The partnership that exists between Southwest Airlines and the city of Houston dates back to the earliest days of the company,” says Houston Aviation Director Mario C. Diaz. “It’s a partnership that was nurtured by both sides in the second half of the 20th century and now it’s poised to produce a great many benefits to our mutual customers in the 21st century.” 

Please visit fly2houston.com and HOUHobby.com for the latest project information. 
  • Like 1

Just posted the groundbreaking press release in the Going Up section: http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/28865-international-terminal-at-hobby-airport-now-under-construction/

As for Southwest, I flew it last week for the first time in about seven years.  I avoided Southwest because of the whole notion of it being a "cattle car" and all the other negative things.  But you know what?  With all the cutbacks at every other domestic airline, Southwest is no longer "roughing it." 

I've been a loyal AA and UA flyer for decades, but they're scaled back so much that they're now worse than Southwest has ever been.  Things I got on Southwest that I would't get on AA or UA:

- Free beverages

- Cheerful flight staff

- Nice leather seats

- Free wifi

- TWO checked bags for free (Add $150 per person per trip for the same thing on AA or UA)

And the boarding process on Southwest?  No big deal.  Not any less a cattle call than United calling "Group 1" and everyone rushes the podium, regardless of their group, and all the overhead bin storage has already been given to the 16 other groups that were called before the so-called "Group 1."

I paid $12.50 to Southwest to be in the first 30 people on board.  Certainly worth it.  American offered me the same opportunity when I tried to book tickets there, but instead of asking $12.50, it wanted $72.00!!!  

Plus, AA had 3 non-stop flights per day to my destination.  UA had 2.  Southwest has NINE.

And when I tried to book on AA, they pulled a bait-and-switch.  Told me the ticket price was around $250 per person round trip.  Until yo get to the part where you select your seat -- then it's an extra $75 PER PERSON PER SEGMENT if two people want to sit together.  That was the straw that broke this camel's back and I looked at Southwest.  

By the time I factored in AA and UA's seat fees and luggage fees, they were $400 more than Southwest.

I'm still not a total convert to Southwest, primarily because I have a brazillion miles accumulated on AA and UA.  But for future flights, I will absolutely consider WN for my needs, where I never would before.

It could change.  JetBlue is offering flat bed seats from JFK to SFO and LAX.  One paid first class passenger pays for 6 in the back.  If Southwest wants to compete they have to offer more perks than being a cattle plane.

I'm pretty sure Southwest is competing just fine... they've had 40 straight years of profitability. More than most other airlines can say.

• Like 1

I am delighted that this is happening.  At the same time that I feel that joy, I still have the expectation that Houston will continue to be punished by that petulant giant that absorbed our "hometown airline".

I do like SW, but I don't think a few cheaper flights to Mexico, the Caribbean, and Venezuela would offset the benefits that would have been accrued to Houston, if it had continued as the HQ for a major international airline.  

Perhaps it's in vain, but I hope that United's management will eventually take the high road and recognize that Houston can be an important part of their global strategy.  (I don't see any sign yet that our punishment phase is over.) While I like SW, I don't think they will ever offer benefits on that scale.

Someone please convince me (with real evidence) that the future won't mandate flying thru Dallas, LA, SF, Chicago, Atlanta, or NY to go anywhere international, at least other than a few places like London.

Edited by ArchFan