William P. Hobby Airport

ricco67

• 1 month later...

Finally these passengers that show up at the gate with huge bags are being charged.  It pisses me off when they think they can get away from it.  Women have the largest bags I have ever seen.  There could be a baby or dog in that bag!  Now they are being caught at the gate to go back to the counter to pay for there bags.  United and American have the had held devices that charge them at the at the gate.  Watch out, Spirit has agents where you put your bag in the slot and catch them.  On United from lets say from ABQ to EWR via IAH.  They think they got away with it and get caught at IAH.  Southwest Airlines is rethinking this, as jetBlue will be charging now and add more seats.  It is all about making money.  

Not too surprising for WN to do that. There is revenue to be had from the traveler with an extra checked bag. I suppose the first free bag is a big part of WN's brand identity right now. However, they have gone away from the "bags fly free" campaign to start disassociated themselves from that identity.

Question--

My best friend and I have decided to take a two week trip to Australia in July. Actually it's Fiji, New Zealand and Sydney. Being an aviation enthusiast, I've always wanted to fly on the the 747. Yet I am sad to read headlines that many of the domestic carriers are ditching them---and quick. 

Of all the routes in the world, I thought for sure the LAX to Sydney would be a 747 but it's not. Everything is on the much less impressive/boring 77-3. 

I want to pick a place where I can hit as many of the wide-body, long range aircraft as possible. Say something like fly out on a 47-8 from LAX to SYD, the 767 from SYD to Auckland and then maybe fly on the A380 from there home. 

Regardless, my main question is, where do the domestic carriers send their 747s? I've looked at the Europe routes and can't find them. Delta, United and American all send the 777 to Sydney. I'm very disappointed. The biggest plane I've ever been on is the DC-10 and the 757. Even Houston to Hawaii was on a 57. 

So with such a big trip planned, I wanna do it right. Thoughts?

Edited by wxman
  • Like 1

United did fly a 747 to Sydney with a 12 hour stop and continue to Melbourne.  Now that they are flying the 787-900 directly to Melbourne from LAX they are now using a 777 to Sydney.  United has 23 747-400 that go to the Asian markets they do so well filling up the plane.  Australia and Auckland are small markets.  Houston has a larger population then New Zealand.  I would fly to DFW and take Quantas A380 non-stop to Sydney which is much larger then the 747.  Lufthansa Airlines has the new 747-800 but they using  those planes to the Gulf States.  United order the Airbus-350X to replace the 747s and 55 more 787-8-9 and 10s.  Have a good trip.    

Nope. Here's what he said:

On free checked bags Kelly said, "Now, we have got this incredible distinction, which is a gift from our competitors to be different by not nickel and diming customers. Customers hate bag fees and Southwest Airlines is a beloved brand... We carry more customers in the United States than any other carrier by far and Bags Fly Free as a major reason for that."

Kelly revealed that Southwest's research shows that there aren’t many monetization opportunities available for stuff that the airline offers for free and that if it would start charging for baggage, it will lose more revenue than it will gain because that will result in losing customers.

Just flew the Qantas A380 from LAX to Sydney and it was awesome.  Highly recommended.  Air New Zealand has some nice 787's too with the big windows.  I saw a lot of 747s at the Sydney airport.  If you want to fly one, foreign carriers (especially Asian) are probably better than domestic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...