William P. Hobby Airport

ricco67

Houston is a huge international gateway! 40 million people a year is no small feat, united is pissed not stupid. I have no worries for Houston in terms of flying. We are becoming a larger and more attractive city, tourist and business alike, faster than any city I can think of.

Thanks, HB.  You're right, our international traffic is doing well, with special thanks to Latin America.  However, I also think it would be good not to be complacent about the strides we've made -- the competition is pretty stiff.

I find United's apparent attitude to be bizarre, really.  But then, earlier in life I imagined that large corporations were run by rational people, not people governed by emotions (like the rest of us!).  

It's easy to say (as some have here) that if they don't serve us, someone else will.  To me, that is a maybe-yes/maybe-no proposition.  But, if their management continued as in the recent past, I would also say scr-- them.  

Unfortunately I don't think the HQ would have stayed in Houston regardless of the Hobby situation. United was staying in Chicago because of the tax breaks and other perks that they were offered by Chicago/Illinois. I've heard Obama played a big part in it, but I don't have any actual proof of that. And as far as international goes, while United seems to have frozen on growth in Houston since the merger (domestic as well actually), other airlines seem happy to pick up the slack with Turkish and Air China being the big ones recently. Hopefully more new airlines expand to IAH soon.

Yeah, I am hoping for the best case on those things too, asubrt!  I do want to buy the explanation that our city officials were got off guard by the competition for the HQ that happened while the transition here was taking place.  I don't wanna automatically blame Parker, since it was early in her tenure ... but, the idea does resonate with me that she wasn't yet paying attention to how important this was to Houston.

Hopefully, Houston will continue to get attention from foreign-flag carriers in countries Houston does business with, despite the lack of awareness from US-based airlines.

Edited by ArchFan

I hope they will add more gates later.  No first class, no lounge and old planes will no work for me.  Low fares?  We shall see, WN is not a low fare airline anymore.  When will they get 787, 777, 767, 757?  

Why would they order (mostly) wide-body planes? And for reference, their average fleet age is lower than that of UA. (11 vs. 13.5). http://swamedia.com/channels/Corporate-Fact-Sheet/pages/corporate-fact-sheet and http://aerotransport.org/php/go.php?query=operator&qstring=United+Airlines&where=91636&luck=

Edited by urban909
  • Like 1

I understood what you meant.  I think the Continental executives who made the merger decision(s) were/are a bunch of morons.

Agreed

Off the topic. Southwest is building 5 GATES! For international travel. I just check the fare from Chicago to Cancun swa.com and AirTran website came up. They were higher then United, plus they charge you $10 to get a seat assignment. What is going on?

That's just a start. They want to hurt United's business in Latin America. AirTran sucks I took it to Bermuda. What a hassle.

Onboard amenities

Complimentary amenity kit featuring premium skincare products

Complimentary duvet and pillow for use during your flight

180-degree lie-flat seats on all 747 and 757 aircraft and on select 767 and 777 aircraft. United is expanding lie-flat seats to trans-oceanic aircraft by the beginning of 2013.

Illuminated seat controls for easy adjustment in a darkened cabin

Select 767 and 777 aircraft feature reclining seats with up to 55 inches between the back of one seat and the front edge of the next

Meals and beverages

Pre-departure beverage service

Hot towel service

Printed menu

Meal selections featuring appetizer, salad and choice of entrée, including local cuisine where available

Dessert selections including signature desserts, fresh fruit, fresh cheeses, port and after-dinner liqueurs

Mid-flight snack service on longer flights

Light meal served prior to arrival

A variety of beverages, including cocktails, beer, international wines and freshly brewed coffee

Traditional Japanese meals served on flights between the U.S. and Japan

View additional information on meals and beverages

Entertainment

More than 150 hours of on-demand programming with a 15.4-inch video monitor on all 747 and 757 aircraft and on select 767 and 777 aircraft

Individual in-armrest entertainment system on select 767 and 777 aircraft with up to nine video channels, up to 19 channels of audio programming and moving map display

Laptop power source and ergonomic tray table to comfortably accommodate laptop computers (adapter required on select 767 and 777 aircraft)

USB port for charging mobile phones, digital cameras and other electronic devices on board all 747 and 757 aircraft and select 767 and 777 aircraft

Noise-reducing headsets

Complimentary newspapers

Complimentary copy of Hemispheres magazine

Duty-free shopping onboard

Airport arrival and departure

Premier Access check-in, baggage handling, boarding, deplaning and security lanes (where available)

Access to United Arrivals Lounge in select locations, offering showers, breakfast and business services

Access to United ClubSM and Star Alliance® member lounges

You are really, really, really lame.

Have fun on your make believe trip to Amsterdam. With the way you communicate, I assume you are a 13 year old waiting to hit puberty.

I don't think it's a make believe trip. He's probably going, although it's on Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004.

My wife and I got caught in the evacuation at Jacksonville airport earlier this week. We were to get on a 7:00pm flight to Hobby. That was about the time everyone was cleared from the building.

Not knowing the details of the situation in the airport or when it would be resolved I waited until we were told absolutely that no flights would be leaving Jacksonville that evening. That was about 10:00pm. I then called Southwest. The person who took the call knew immediately I had a "special situation" and forwarded me right then to a supervisor.

He was most courteous, informed, and helpful. My wife and I were on the same flight but had booked separately since our schedules at the time we made our reservations were still uncertain. Within minutes I had changed both our reservations to a flight that left JAX at 6:35 the next morning. Of course the whole mess was not SWA's fault but they did make those last minute changes for free and with absolutely no hassle.

I don't know the magnitude of Southwest's losses from the incident but I do know they bought themselves megabucks in goodwill from me.(I had to pay for an overnight stay at a hotel and an extra day at the parking garage near Hobby myself but who would reimburse me for that? TSA? the jackass who caused the whole incident? - unfortunately neither.)

I'm delighted that SWA will have international service soon. About this time last year I flew to Costa Rica on American Airlines. Everything went well but my expectation of some inconvenience was fairly high due to my limited past experience with that airline.

The biggest inconvenience I had last year was having to fly from Houston to Miami then to Costa Rica (out of IAH no less - bummer since I live in the Clear Lake area and, thus much closer to Hobby). Leaving from Hobby to destinations around the Caribbean will be much welcomed.

Edited by Specwriter

My wife and I got caught in the evacuation at Jacksonville airport earlier this week. We were to get on a 7:00pm flight to Hobby. That was about the time everyone was cleared from the building.

Not knowing the details of the situation in the airport or when it would be resolved I waited until we were told absolutely that no flights would be leaving Jacksonville that evening. That was about 10:00pm. I then called Southwest. The person who took the call knew immediately I had a "special situation" and forwarded me right then to a supervisor.

He was most courteous, informed, and helpful. My wife and I were on the same flight but had booked separately since our schedules at the time we made our reservations were still uncertain. Within minutes I had changed both our reservations to a flight that left JAX at 6:35 the next morning. Of course the whole mess was not SWA's fault but they did make those last minute changes for free and with absolutely no hassle.

I don't know the magnitude of Southwest's losses from the incident but I do know they bought themselves megabucks in goodwill from me.(I had to pay for an overnight stay at a hotel and an extra day at the parking garage near Hobby myself but who would reimburse me for that? TSA? the jackass who caused the whole incident? - unfortunately neither.)

I'm delighted that SWA will have international service soon. About this time last year I flew to Costa Rica on American Airlines. Everything went well but my expectation of some inconvenience was fairly high due to my limited past experience with that airline.

The biggest inconvenience I had last year was having to fly from Houston to Miami then to Costa Rica (out of IAH no less - bummer since I live in the Clear Lake area and, thus much closer to Hobby). Leaving from Hobby to destinations around the Caribbean will be much welcomed.

Southwest does have great customer service. However they just announced a devaluation of points.

Why didn't you fly straight to Costa Rica on United?

I'm on the first 777 with satellite Wi-Fi on my way from AMS long flight. We left at 1015 and should arrive at 130 pm. I'm in first class and the service has been great leaving IAH last week and right now. I was talking to passengers on the plane and 10 are going to Lima, Peru and 4 to Liberia, Costa Rica. So WN knows there is money in these markets. I do not think a 737 will make it to Lima. But they can fly to Costa Rica. This is so great, no other carrier has over the water Wi-Fi. Here comes jet lag.

Southwest does have great customer service. However they just announced a devaluation of points.

Why didn't you fly straight to Costa Rica on United?

LOL "devaluation?" Are you basing that on the article headline you read? With atleast 3000 points depending on fare/notice you can buy a one way ticket. You can't get anything on united other than stupid magazine subscriptions with anything less than 50+k points.