Dollar Tree At 1000 Elgin St.

UrbaNerd

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Dollar Tree At 1000 Elgin St.
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I went for that location for the first and last time today. Felt like the wild west. As I walked in, a guy was walking out nonchalantly with a garbage bag full of stuff he'd stolen. Considering it was Dollar Tree, he probably made off with $9 worth of stuff.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, JLWM8609 said:

I went for that location for the first and last time today. Felt like the wild west. As I walked in, a guy was walking out nonchalantly with a garbage bag full of stuff he'd stolen. Considering it was Dollar Tree, he probably made off with $9 worth of stuff.

I've been in twice since it opened. CVS wasn't exactly a happy place but good lord does Dollar Tree just suck the life out of everyone inside. Azkaban vibes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 004n063 said:

I've been in twice since it opened. CVS wasn't exactly a happy place but good lord does Dollar Tree just suck the life out of everyone inside. Azkaban vibes.

The one on W. Gray in River Oaks Shopping Center isn't bad. They have a semblance of organization there. The one in Shadow Creek in Pearland on 2234 is probably the neatest and most organized one I've been to yet. Clear aisles and items I can't find at other locations, so less soul sucking and more treasure hunting.

I wouldn't be surprised if this location starts locking up items and outright stops carrying certain items. Poor Midtown can't catch a break. 

11 hours ago, JLWM8609 said:

That's part of the mayors new public safety plan

IMO, this location won't last very long, this is most definitely their most expensive lease in Houston considering its compromises an entire city block in Midtown. Looking at their entire Houston portfolio, most if not all of their locations consist of a small section of an entire retail strip center, which is obviously cheaper than renting out an entire building, let alone and entire building on an entire city block on one of the most expensive land in all of Houston. 

It just doesn't make any logistic sense.......unless they bought the property and are only using it as a real estate investment (like McDonald's). 

• Like 2

On 2/13/2024 at 11:32 AM, Amlaham said:

IMO, this location won't last very long, this is most definitely their most expensive lease in Houston considering its compromises an entire city block in Midtown. Looking at their entire Houston portfolio, most if not all of their locations consist of a small section of an entire retail strip center, which is obviously cheaper than renting out an entire building, let alone and entire building on an entire city block on one of the most expensive land in all of Houston. 

It just doesn't make any logistic sense.......unless they bought the property and are only using it as a real estate investment (like McDonald's). 

Chances are they got a good deal from CVS to fulfill the rest of their lease. This store closed with a handful of other Houston area locations in 2022, all part of a similar subletting deal. Drugstores have all overbuilt, trying to serve as mini-Walmarts of the suburbs, and now they're having to reverse course, largely because their bottom lines are being undercut by lawsuits and increased operating costs. Some of the other locations have become shoe stores, and there's one in Sugar Land, which will soon reopen as a Dollar General. These are locations that CVS was leasing; the ones that they own, they usually just shut down and let them sit vacant while they sell the property.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SpaceGhost said:

Chances are they got a good deal from CVS to fulfill the rest of their lease. This store closed with a handful of other Houston area locations in 2022, all part of a similar subletting deal. Drugstores have all overbuilt, trying to serve as mini-Walmarts of the suburbs, and now they're having to reverse course, largely because their bottom lines are being undercut by lawsuits and increased operating costs. Some of the other locations have become shoe stores, and there's one in Sugar Land, which will soon reopen as a Dollar General. These are locations that CVS was leasing; the ones that they own, they usually just shut down and let them sit vacant while they sell the property.

I think some of it is also the terrible default property setup with the store occupying the back corner of a parking crater. A pharmacy + convenience store model can certainly work fine in a city, but it shouldn't occupy a full city block.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Dollar Tree on Monday around noon. Based on some comments, I was expecting the worse, but I was pleasantly surprised. There were about 25 customers inside. A relaxed, slightly rumpled presentation of merchandise.  A demographic diverse crowd but no homeless uprising.  I spent more that I expected (I needed business envelopes). I'll go back again.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Amlaham said:

Dollar Tree plans to close 1,000 stores after taking $1.7B loss. Not sure if this will affect this location but it seemed a little relevant since they also mentioned they plan on shuttering stores in the coming years when their lease expires. 

https://www.bisnow.com/national/news/retail/dollar-tree-loses-nearly-2b-will-close-1000-stores-123306

Good. That lot needs to be redone with housing and street engagement.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Amlaham said:

Dollar Tree plans to close 1,000 stores after taking $1.7B loss. Not sure if this will affect this location but it seemed a little relevant since they also mentioned they plan on shuttering stores in the coming years when their lease expires. 

https://www.bisnow.com/national/news/retail/dollar-tree-loses-nearly-2b-will-close-1000-stores-123306

Please close the one on W. Gray

• Like 1