Marq*E Entertainment Center At 7620 Katy Fwy.

I haven't been there for years, but I still think this property has a great location.  I guess the bad press related to "thuggy teen-agers" has hurt it a lot.  It didn't strike me so much that way when I used to go to Todai, which I guess closed a while back.  I think ... it could eventually be a stellar asset, as the inner city continues to redevelop.  The area to the south of I-10 is obvious quite affluent and the semi-industrial areas to the east and north seem to be changing over time.  I would prefer that gentrification weren't the only way to improve places, but I will take that in the absence of anything else.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Marq*E Entertainment Center
  • 4 months later...
On 10/2/2020 at 8:32 PM, Highrise Tower said:

This may not go forward, at least in the near term. Cineworld just announced that it is considering closing all its Regal/Cineworld cinemas in the US and UK as soon as this week. I suspect there may be more to this, as the company hasn't been doing very well for quite some time (predating the pandemic), and the initial articles that came out yesterday all characterized it as a permanent closure before they walked that back today. 

Cineworld Could Close All Regal Cinemas, U.K. Venues in Response to ‘No Time to Die’ Delay 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

i got a notice from Regal that they are only temporarily closing due to the the major films being once again delayed... (i have a regal unlimited account)

so i am hopeful that this is the case since i am a huge movie buff and love the theater experience. 

i have been going to ipic regularly since july and going to both regal's near me (including this one) since last month when they reopened (wearing my mask of course with no issues)

hoping all this covid mess ends soon so we can get back to normal life (and more movies)

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

MarqE getting another renovation. 

Beginning in May and running throughout 2022, the plan calls for construction of a new, two-story, 49,000-square-foot building that will house new restaurants and retailers.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/real-estate/02-10-21-marqe-development-spring-branch-renovations-levcor/?fbclid=IwAR2SGzvf0kckSjUI-vC-lWvSWgSOIPc04DOyqzB0VzMWXryaIX6I7A_Cpu8

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Marq*E Entertainment Center Developments
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

this weekend a buddy and i went to see Moonfall in the 4DX theater (it was fun btw)...

but upon arrival half of the lobby was closed and covered up..i asked what was going on and the manager said they are doing a TOTAL renovation of the inside...EVERYTHING from the lobby to the concession stands to the theaters and the seats! He said it will take all year but when done he laughed and said say goodbye to the horrible hollywood star murals and hello to something that will look like the Death Star with neon haha! that sounds awesome to me! (HUGE Star Wars fan 🖤) and he added that the seats and the theaters will blow my mind....so yep i am excited! (I have been going to this and the other Regal cinema on Weslayan nonstop since july 2020 with my Regal Unlimited card and nope, no covid so far knock on wood!...and with less crowded theaters it has been awesome not dealing with the rare but bothersome disrespectful movie goers that sometimes go...)

anyway...wow MarqE as a whole is really making a comeback in a big way in 2022 it seems! 

Edited by gene
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

okay,

DESPITE all the news lately about cinemas (and Regal included)

a buddy and i went to the Regal Cinema (Marq*e) and they are more than halfway through with this INCREDIBLE complete remodel (as mentioned on my last post)...it really is AMAZING!!! new EVERYTHING...floors, ceilings, lighting, tons of these cool video screens that line up along the walls showing trailers/movie posters etc...AND all new screens and awesome seating that is way more comfortable!!! loved it! (and they had this cool little hang out area as well)

Having the Regal Unlimited card, i cannot wait to go back...bye bye Weslayan location! 

(they said the renovation should be completed soon as it looks to be about 75 percent done!)

exactly!!! It is all over the news yet this theater is making maybe close to if not a million dollars worth of improvements...so it blows my mind!

IF Regal does decide to shut down theaters this one will for sure be picked up by AMC or someone...BUT crossing fingers it doesn't come to that

1 hour ago, gene said:

exactly!!! It is all over the news yet this theater is making maybe close to if not a million dollars worth of improvements...so it blows my mind!

Maybe it's like how people renovate their kitchen before selling their homes.

• Haha 2

I'd be surprised if they shut down a theater that they just renovated. Since what's being discussed is a Chapter 11 filing (reorg, as opposed to Chapter 7 liquidation), they may not shut down any theaters.

Edited by mkultra25
correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Marq*E Entertainment Center At 7620 Katy Fwy.