Washington Avenue Information & Developments

mhh222

from the menu ii wonder if this is breakfast klub related?

It's owned by the same people that own The Tasting Room wine bars. I remember reading something about it being named after the owner's kid.

----

Well, judging from the masses at Catalan, they needed another frou-frou food place in that area. I hear the waits are hours-long on the weekends. Catalan was not my thing (expensive and the tapas I had were a little too "out there" for me).

Molina's & El Tiempo are packed every night of the week. It's hard to get a table at Cova. I think these places are all doing pretty well. I'm looking forward to Azuma.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ms Sarnoff laying it on a bit thick, from today's Chronicle:

Feb. 25, 2007, 12:41AM

Old industrial sites get hip

By NANCY SARNOFF

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

In recent years, the Washington corridor has been transforming from a scrappy industrial area to one with hip restaurants, lofts and shops.

Chic new eateries and wine bars have clustered near the Shepherd intersection, and townhomes have taken over backstreets of older single-family homes.

Manufacturing firms like Silver Eagle and Trinity Industries have sold properties in the area as land prices have shot up.

Shopping center developers have put up signs touting new strip centers along the avenue, and apartment projects are in the works.

One of the newest developments is an apartment complex designed to reflect the area's urban character.

The Houston-based Morgan Group is building 3910 Washington, a 326-unit project at the northwest corner of Washington and Yale.

Link to the article
Houston-based Morgan Group is building a 326-unit apartment complex at 3910 Washington.

311xInlineGallery.jpg

That is fantastic news for Washington Ave. There appears to be a couple of cleared lots on the north side of Washington on either side of Shepherd, as well as a hollowed out former strip center that looks to be in the process of being refurbished. I'm excited to see how this street develops over the next couple of years.

I went to Corkscrew last night and it was standing room only. Bars/restaurants tend to follow apartment complex developments, so hopefully this new project will spur additional activity. Exciting stuff!

The Morgan Group is the same bunch that developed 2222 Smith, according to their website. That's a nice property and is probably the most high end apt complex in midtown. Hopefully they'll deliver another good project.

It appears that developers are staking their claim along the Washington corridor with new lots cleared every month. Every direction around the Morgan construction site will be new development in the next 3 years. Behind the Morgan construction site at Washington and Yale there is also anther project being developed. Does anyone have information regarding that project? It seems that the Washington Ave @ Heights is becoming to one of the headlining areas along that up and coming area.

Also, it seems strange that The Social closed. The bar was packed every weekend and always had a good crowd for Sunday brunch. I wonder if they sold out to a gas station or other project. Does anyone know about this?

We live along Washington near Memorial Park and would like to urge others in the area to continue to fight the graffiti issues by calling 311 to report graffiti to the city. The City of Houston has employees that will paint over the graffiti.

Also, it seems strange that The Social closed. The bar was packed every weekend and always had a good crowd for Sunday brunch. I wonder if they sold out to a gas station or other project. Does anyone know about this?

We live along Washington near Memorial Park and would like to urge others in the area to continue to fight the graffiti issues by calling 311 to report graffiti to the city. The City of Houston has employees that will paint over the graffiti.

several of the bars have the attitude that it is all about money and not about making a better neighborhood. when the crowds start to fade a little, they close up. The ones that care try to build a clientele to make the business more personalized. The Darkhouse has many regulars cause they do want to make a difference.

A lot of the graffiti is on city property too. they need to be proactive without 311 calls.

The Social has not had good crowds for over a year. The original owner sold to a new owner, who apparently was unable to bring the crowds back. In it's hayday, the Social was doing over $200,000 a month in sales. Last year, it was down to $30,000 a month or so. By November and December of last year, mixed beverage sales were less than $20,000. Given the location, I imagine rent and other expenses made it tough to break even at those numbers.

The Social had run its course. It needs a facelift and new look. The location is good. It is just that the concept was tired.

I just hope Washington Avenue doesn't become another glossed-over, sanitized yuppie enclave. I'd rather have real urban stuff like used car lots and taco stands, rather than another gaudy townhouse. Every cool part of town is becoming suburbanized with folks buying their "hipness."

I just hope Washington Avenue doesn't become another glossed-over, sanitized yuppie enclave. I'd rather have real urban stuff like used car lots and taco stands, rather than another gaudy townhouse. Every cool part of town is becoming suburbanized with folks buying their "hipness."

hope? look around there are gaudy townhouses everywhere.

Also referred to as the "Hipper-than-though-crowd or the "upwardly mobile" at least in thier plastic world.

In the 80's we called them "trendies" and "poser's". They will talk to you if you look as cool as them otherwise, get lost! :)

Also referred to as the "Hipper-than-though-crowd or the "upwardly mobile" at least in thier plastic world.

In the 80's we called them "trendies" and "poser's". They will talk to you if you look as cool as them otherwise, get lost! :)

epitome of the social crowd.

Are you kidding me? Used Car Lots and Taco Stands? I hope you are not calling that "hip." That must be the most off the mark statement posted on this forum.

Houston is on the verge of recreating its downtown and surrounding areas. Used car lots and taco stands are not considered a progressive movement - new residential followed by restaurants, retail, etc are in-line with the revitalization of the city.

^If you have to spend money to be "hip" then it's not really "hip", get it?

i believe the poster you responded to is inferring to an "essence" of a neighborhood which is always is the first thing to go once the consumer culture moves in; case example, lower Westheimer, talk about boring to tears in this day and age, however there are still areas where good folks can still be found on their porches.

i recommend you smell the roses before you raze and develop them into gold

btw some graffiti/street art is very good, granted, most of it is pretty amateur

Are you kidding me? Used Car Lots and Taco Stands? I hope you are not calling that "hip." That must be the most off the mark statement posted on this forum.

Well, there are a lot of other very strong contenders for that title.

Maybe Washington Ave isn't "hip" but "funky." There's a shade of difference.

In themselves, used car lots, taco stands, and other such prosaic businesses are not "hip". However, they have the effect of repelling the non-hip, which is in itself sufficient reason to celebrate their presence.

They finally tore down the old HPD garage on the far end of Washington near Houston Ave. I was there yesterday and saw a photo of the new building. Will be very modern 2 story facility. The old garage seemed ancient. I was told it was just too far gone in age and had to be scrapped. It had those old rusty red bricks. The old building looked like the one you would see the Keystone Cops flying out of in those old silent comedy films. Too bad it couldn't be restored. :(

They finally tore down the old HPD garage on the far end of Washington near Houston Ave. I was there yesterday and saw a photo of the new building. Will be very modern 2 story facility. The old garage seemed ancient. I was told it was just too far gone in age and had to be scrapped. It had those old rusty red bricks. The old building looked like the one you would see the Keystone Cops flying out of in those old silent comedy films. Too bad it couldn't be restored. :(

it's gone - geez...i was there not too long ago, and the front was bashed in, but nothing close to gone

Guest danax
it's gone - geez...i was there not too long ago, and the front was bashed in, but nothing close to gone

Classic Houston erasure. "Too far gone"? I'd like to hear the real story.

Other cities might've at least tried, really tried, to find a way to make this work.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Took a ride down wash. today and saw more than the usual amount of construction taking place on Azuma!!! Also it looks likes the apartments at washington/yale are coming along as is the the development that will house the blue label. Any renderings or possible tenants?? Another wine bar would be great since Max's is always crowded.

Please post info.

Max's is, indeed, a cattle call. Good food, though. Have you tried the Corkscrew (east of Sawyer)? http://www.houstoncorkscrew.com/ . It's a comfortable, laid back joint.

Corkscrew is great and there is no other place in town like it, I hope the new stuff that's being built around washington this has the same feeling. It looks like "the social" is going after a similar crowd with wifi, burgers and the laid back atmosphere.

Just a silly question. Washington Ave is considered The Heights?

Doesn't sound right. Not if Washington starts near downtown. How can that be? :blink:

i think people confuse heights proper vs a wider area known as the heights. heights goes down to washington remember.

Archived