Washington Avenue Information & Developments

mhh222

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

Saw this in the Chron...

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Big-change-coming-to-popular-area-for-bars-in-4476093.php

New parking meters become active May 1, and will be active every Monday through Sunday, from 7 a.m. to 2 a.m -- basically all the time -- up and down Washington.The rate will be $1 per hour from 9 p.m. until 3 p.m., and after 6 p.m., you can pay a flat $7 rate, or instead pay $2 per hour of parking. A committee will determine later if prices should be temporarily changed if demand changes during special events.

"This is a huge step in the right direction for the city of Houston," said Don Pagel, deputy director for the city's Administration and Regulatory Affairs Department. The hope is that with designated pay parking, the congestion and back-ups will be at least partially alleviated.

The Washington Avenue Corridor Parking Benefit District, a first for the city, will funnel 60 percent of the revenue from parking meters back into improvements to "promote walking, cycling, and the use of public transportation", along with the usual street, safety, and neighborhood improvements. The other 40 percent will go back to the district to offset expenses.

I was at the Neartown meeting last night and heard----Montrose  maybe next in line--

It was noted that perhaps Montrose is not one long corridor but rather 4 sites ie Montrose blvd-West Gray, Shepherd and of course Westheimer.  Oddly Fairview with it's many business and parking headaches , wasn't one of the streets mentioned.

• 11 months later...

I view Washington Ave, as any other area of the city. It's going to have its flash as the hippest place to be, then its going to die down, and places will leave. Once that phase is over and done with, you will begin to see more sustainable business' begin to pop up because the initial flash of development has created the infrastructure. This applies to Midtown, and Downtown especially. Midtown went through its initial phase of hype, and its not until now that we are seeing more stable growth because the infrastructure is in place. One very hip area right now is the East End (I refuse to call it EaDo) which is in the initial phase of growth, so its a real popular area right now, especially since the Dynamo play on that end. I see the East End becoming a sea of orange, as it becomes a neighborhood developed around BBVA Compass stadium.

• The title was changed to Boutique Hotels On Washington Ave. And Lower Westheimer Rd.
  • The title was changed to Washington Ave. And Malone St.

Archived