Washington Avenue Information & Developments

mhh222

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if transportation costs are kept down, so are prices. each train also keeps quite a few 18 wheelers off the roads/freeways.

I suspect that the railroads of this country are one of the most under capitalized and under used infrastructure item in this country.

I still find this issue somewhat crazy. I would think that there are more annoying sources of sound in our urban environment than the damn train.

I'm in a downtown skyscraper and I just heard a train horn. My ears, make it stop!laugh.gif

I agree with SaintCyr, in the coming years as it becomes much more expensive for air and truck transport, two far more efficient methods, shipping and rail, will be needed to transport goods. For those along the Washington corridor and anywhere else in this city that depends heavily on inputs to the local economy via the port, that means more ships with more cargo and more and more trains running to distribute it across the city and beyond. So unless we perform grade separations all over the city at all road and RR intersections, the train conductors will need to blow the horns to warn people to the approaching danger of the train.

(0:25 - 1:40) <---- The people who move into the "Villas on Heights" in 25 years

A bunch of idiot residents are now objecting the Quiet Zone from Patterson to Oliver street because they think the money can be spent elsewhere (i.e. on Parking/Police, etc).

While I agree the other issues are problems, the city doesn't re-allocate funds that way. Get the attention on your neighborhood and other problems will be solved in the future.

What they don't realize is that city budgets do not work like your checking account.

If the money doesn't get spent on your own neighborhood, it gets spent in another location for the same purpose.

This issue frustrates me like no other, looking a gift horse in the mouth is what it is.

Property values should increase after this and even if the train doesn't bother you, the city WANTS to spend money on your neighborhood and you're going to refuse it?!???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was wondering if anyone on HAIF attended the Washington Corridor Quiet Zone informational meeting held back on Monday? They were going to update the timeline and discuss construction. The http://www.washingtonquietzone.com/ website hasn't been updated since the 8th.

The construction was originally supposed to have started July 2009 and close Thompson and Bonner at the railroad tracks. I'm just curious how things stand now.

Thank you in advance.

I was wondering if anyone on HAIF attended the Washington Corridor Quiet Zone informational meeting held back on Monday? They were going to update the timeline and discuss construction. The http://www.washingtonquietzone.com/ website hasn't been updated since the 8th.

The construction was originally supposed to have started July 2009 and close Thompson and Bonner at the railroad tracks. I'm just curious how things stand now.

Thank you in advance.

I missed this meeting too but I emailed the Quiet Zone folks and got a reply that they were waiting on details on schedule slides from the city, but the quiet zone work is scheduled to start in January and will be fully implemented by end of April. It still includes Thompson & Bonner closure. The Public Works dept is typically pretty good about project milestones once they get the go ahead, so I would expect by May 2010 we should have a Quiet Zone in place.

On a side note, we in UWE shoudl expect TX DOT to start work on I-10 feeder roads between Yale & Patterson soon (as in 2010).

Irfan

• Like 1

Thanks Irfran. Tammy had forwarded me your e-mail after hearing from the Quiet Zone folks. I'll miss using Bonner and Thompson, but not the train horn so this is pretty exciting news. Don't know if I care that much about the feeder extension. There'll be a lot of noise and heavy trucks just one street up from where I live and probably more car noise once it's completed. Guess it'll help traffic flow along that stretch of the freeway, though so it should be a good thing as well.

Thanks again!

- Robert

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Also, some more developments in Upper West End per the Civic club meeting:

1. West End Park is scheduled to be leveled and re-graded to help with the drainage issue on the back side of the park. The pavillion will be leveled and no plans to replace it. FWIW, I think this is a good thing, as it was a haven for the homeless people and drug dealers. The playground structures will stay and be a part of the plans for the park updates.

The schedule on this project will probably be drawn out to a couple years, as the total amount for the park improvements is something in the neighborhood of $200k.

2. Patterson St. has been selected by the COH to have their sidewalks re-done as part of a city-wide pedestrian initiative. There are several other streets across the city that will have their sidewalks re-done and widened as well. As for Patterson, the sidewalks will be re-done and apparently about 6 ft. wide, from Washington all the way to I-10 feeder. Not sure about the schedule for this, but 2010 seems to be a big year for UWE construction projects...if it all pans out.

Edited by longhornguy

• 4 weeks later...

I read online last year that Les Givrals, a restaurant I love that is in Market Square, is supposed to be opening in the new strip mall just east of Shepherd. Anyone have an update on that opening? I also read a downtown law firm was moving in the 3rd story of that building.

http://www.lesgivrals.com/11.html

I also noticed Berripop and Buffalo Wild Wings are moving in the strip mall closer to Yale Blvd and Zoes. Any news on anything else moving in there?

• 2 weeks later...

BW3 in the Heights? Awesome. Bad beer prices, awesome wings.

I have been dragged to BW3 by my coworkers multiple times - the first time I got naked wings (no skin or bones). The grilled chicken was totally overcooked and chewy. The next time I got the salad with fried chicken, thinking that maybe they at least knew how to fry. Yet again the chicken was overcooked and nasty. Last week I ordered a burger which, according to the menu, was cooked medium well. I asked the server if mine could be cooked to medium rare instead. He told me it could not, because the patties are precooked and frozen.

dry.gif

There is just nothing at this place I can tolerate eating...

Who can tell me the history of Les Givrals?

The story I heard is that a family started Les Givrals leasing from a landlord, the landlord jacked up the rents or something and took over the business as a concession and the family was forced out and the family started Cali Sandwich. Story doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's what I heard.

I have been dragged to BW3 by my coworkers multiple times - the first time I got naked wings (no skin or bones). The grilled chicken was totally overcooked and chewy. The next time I got the salad with fried chicken, thinking that maybe they at least knew how to fry. Yet again the chicken was overcooked and nasty. Last week I ordered a burger which, according to the menu, was cooked medium well. I asked the server if mine could be cooked to medium rare instead. He told me it could not, because the patties are precooked and frozen.

dry.gif

There is just nothing at this place I can tolerate eating...

It's pretty bad when a restaurant doesn't even have the confidence that their cooks can make a hamburger patty. I don't understand why anyone would pay restaurant prices for food that was basically just heated up.

It's pretty bad when a restaurant doesn't even have the confidence that their cooks can make a hamburger patty. I don't understand why anyone would pay restaurant prices for food that was basically just heated up.

BW3 was good if you have ever eaten at the few local ones years ago in Ohio before they became corporate. All their stores now have the same interior look too. Now to justify a 20% revenue & profit increase every year due to stockholder pressures, they have to open new places (for revenue) and use cheapest possible ingredients (for profit) and cheapest possible labor (for profit) yearly.

• 2 months later...

All I can say is bring on The Counter! I used to stop in a one when I was working in Santa Monica... Premium build your own burgers (with price to match) but man they are good. Their sauce selections are outstanding, so I can't wait to go get one.. it might not be great for my waist line tho. The shakes are perfect and a word of warning... don't order fries per order...do it by the table. Going there with friends once we each ordered our own fries and ended up with a mountains worth. You can safely get an order per table hehe.

Edited by adkat

All I can say is bring on The Counter! I used to stop in a one when I was working in Santa Monica... Premium build your own burgers (with price to match) but man they are good.

I agree, this place will be a hit. i've had it here in Chicago and the varieties and sauce options demand multiple visits.