Washington Avenue Information & Developments

mhh222

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll be the first to admit I grumped about the Quiet Zone when it was first proposed. (e.g. - "you bought a house next to the tracks, shut up and deal with it"). But now that it's in effect? Wow. I love it. I never noticed just how often I heard the horns all night long from my place in the Heights.

So, I take it back - good job Washington Corridor residents!

I was taking pictures of a new listing on Eigel with the front door open the other day and heard a whooshing noise coming from outside and couldn't figure out what it was at first?

I quickly realized it was the train coming by. It sure was strange hearing that noise without the horn blasting!

I like the sound of the horns at night and in the morning. I am going to miss them, but the one a bit north of 610 will still do it for us. I write this from a hotel room that's about 200 yards from a runway at Heathrow, which doesn't bother me at all. I guess I just view noise differently than most.

I like the sound of the horns at night and in the morning. I am going to miss them, but the one a bit north of 610 will still do it for us. I write this from a hotel room that's about 200 yards from a runway at Heathrow, which doesn't bother me at all. I guess I just view noise differently than most.

I like train noise too, and that's part of what I like about Eastwood is that it's literally surrounded by active freight tracks. Having said that, I wouldn't want to have it in my back yard...so good for the Washington Corridor.

Edited by TheNiche

I suppose that depends more on proximity to the tracks and the regularity of the trains. When I lived in Memphis, I was half a block away from the Southern Pacific line which tore through town at least once every half hour. And when it did tear through, it shook the crap out of my apartment walls and the engineers blasted the horn so loudly and so long it was to the point of ridiculousness. If I was having a conversation over the phone and a train decided to drop through at that moment, I'd literally be forced to stop talking while it went through as no one would be able to hear me over the noise.

I'm sure the runway at Heathrow would be a vastly different experience if the hotel has less insulation and you actually lived there year-round.

I already miss the trains. Two sounds I enjoy at night are the train horns and the racing motorcycles on I-10 or Memorial. All that is left are the bikes. All the quiet zone has done is remove one more quirk of living inside the loop. Along with the bulldozing of the old buildings on Washington in favor of new strip centers, I find the quiet zone another step in the remaking of Washington into a bland and boring area. The QZ supporters get no congratulations from me. They'll probably run off the bars next.

was heading towards El Rey, when I noticed something pecular, a "Jitney Stop" sign. I noticed there were a few more, one by the drinkery, but it was certainly interesting to see.

Kinda' makes me wonder how their business is doing.

I like train noise too, and that's part of what I like about Eastwood is that it's literally surrounded by active freight tracks. Having said that, I wouldn't want to have it in my back yard...so good for the Washington Corridor.

I also liked the distant horn while reading on my front porch at night. BUT I also lived on Mid Lane when I 1st moved to Houston in apartments that had nothing between them and the train tracks except a parking lot. It was terrible. I couldn't even stay there and ended up sleeping at my [now] husband's every night, which defeated the purpose of living close to work. So while I will miss the Washington whistles, they were not in my back yard so good for the people who live there.

Two sounds I enjoy at night are the train horns and the racing motorcycles on I-10 or Memorial. All that is left are the bikes.

I like the sound of the sirens going to the scene when one of the racing motorcycles crashes into a bridge abutment.

• Like 1

The Washington Corridor Quiet Zone went into effect today. Feels strange to see the trains pass by and not hear the loud horn. Thanks to all that made this happen. Hope this is something positive for everyone.

I loved the sound of the trains - the sound (in the distance) reminded me of my grandmother's summer house in Canada. Being the youngest, I would get up early with her and we would listen to the trains while having milk and oreos for breakfast.

I already miss the trains. Two sounds I enjoy at night are the train horns and the racing motorcycles on I-10 or Memorial. All that is left are the bikes. All the quiet zone has done is remove one more quirk of living inside the loop. Along with the bulldozing of the old buildings on Washington in favor of new strip centers, I find the quiet zone another step in the remaking of Washington into a bland and boring area. The QZ supporters get no congratulations from me. They'll probably run off the bars next.

Make the move to the East End...no QZ yet.

Nothing says quirky like a train horn blasting through your neighborhood at 3 AM.

I'm guessing you'll be in the minority on this one.

Well of course RedScare (and I) (and CleaningLadyInCleveland) (and heightsyankee) (and 20thStreetDad) are in the minority. It wouldn't be quirky if Realtors advertised it to their mouthbreathing clientele. It'd just be another lame amenity.

You also wouldn't dare emphasize the random crowing of neighborhood roosters, the gritty urbanity of derelict brick warehouses, the local gang of nutria, a dive bar within stumbling distance of home (or the taco stand along the way), the neighbor that decorates art cars, or the delighted laughter of immigrant children playing outdoors (because their parents, your neighbors, can't afford to buy them video games).

Edited by TheNiche
  • Like 2

Well of course RedScare (and I) (and CleaningLadyInCleveland) (and heightsyankee) (and 20thStreetDad) are in the minority. It wouldn't be quirky if Realtors advertised it to their mouthbreathing clientele. It'd just be another lame amenity.

You also wouldn't dare emphasize the random crowing of neighborhood roosters, the gritty urbanity of derelict brick warehouses, the local gang of nutria, a dive bar within stumbling distance of home (or the taco stand along the way), the neighbor that decorates art cars, or the delighted laughter of immigrant children playing outdoors (because their parents, your neighbors, can't afford to buy them video games).

You must live near 12th and Yale... I think you just described my neighbors and the random noises we hear throughout the week... You can add my wife and I to missing the distant train horn. I understand it would be different if it were in my backyard but still going to miss it. Now if we could just find that dive bar within stumbling distance...

D

Also, between the Counter & Les Givrals is "TQLA Restaurant & Bar" and "360 Sports Bar & Grille." Looks like there's another 360 in Columbia, SC - not sure if it's related or not?

I also heard (from one of the guys that owns Sugarcane) that there is an 80s dance place opening somewhere on Washington Ave. He says they are trying to attract the "older" patrons of Washington Ave. Interesting.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Washington Corridor Quiet Zone went into effect today. Feels strange to see the trains pass by and not hear the loud horn. Thanks to all that made this happen. Hope this is something positive for everyone.

Took me 2 months to notice. But I am SUCH a light sleeper the sound off in the distance some times woke me up. So I thought more was involved than just putting up a 'no honking' sign? Seems to me people buying town homes on the tracks > safety?!

So I thought more was involved than just putting up a 'no honking' sign?

There was quite a bit more done than putting up "no honking" signs.

They closed down a couple streets that didn't have proper crossings, made it so you couldn't weave through the cross bucks on a few others and upgraded the crossings themselves throughout the area.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I happen to know a couple of people of this "Committee" that they formed because of the traffic issues and the accident that occurred because of it.

While I don't want to give away the whole thing because I don't want to burn my source, I can mention what has been suggested so far:

• Closing Washington to traffic from Bonner to Durham St.
  • Closing Washington to traffic from Shepherd to Moy St.
  • Only allow Pedestrian, Pedicabs, Taxi's, and Jitney's through.
  • Additional traffic lights and crosswalks.
  • Eliminate street parking.

The bar owners aren't exactly very enthusiastic about the idea of closing off traffic, as they see it as hurting business and the construction of putting in lights would also be disruptive.

As far as I can tell, they aren't all playing very nice with each other.