Washington Avenue Information & Developments

mhh222

Just a silly question. Washington Ave is considered The Heights?

Doesn't sound right. Not if Washington starts near downtown. How can that be? :blink:

Technically, " A Portion" of washington avenue is considered the southern boundary of "The Heights" or Houston Heights for historic reasons. I think this boundary is at Washington and Heights Intersection, which is evident by the street " Heights BLVD. or Heights N." and if you travel up this north on this street you can tell by the Light Fixtures along the white bridge and the numbered street signs prior to going under I-10. Yes, I know there is the sign and all that indicates and welcomes you into the heights but THIS IS HISTORY? or I guess :( BUt washington ave is still washington ave

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's like way, way back when I was new to Houston and looked at an apt at Bayou Park (Memorial @ Shepherd)...the ditzy apt girl was walking me down a hall, and we got to 3 steps up in the hallway. She stopped, pointed at the steps, and said "See that? They call this area the Heights because the ground is like that"

Back on topic...down Washington towards Houston Ave, and past the Corkscrew, on the north side of the street there is a cool old brick building. It has been completely gutted, including the roof, and the walls are being held up with wood supports. Anyone know what is planned for this building?

i meant the crowd moved elsewhere. didn't want to be too sarcastic.

From what I gleaned, they had a fall-off after their initial surge, but it seems they have really attracted a good, constant following. They had a pretty full house this past Friday night...just enough table rotation to have seating available. Between their initiatives like steak night and the synergy provided by other similar joints in that area like the Dark Horse and Beavers, I think they have good staying power.

Heard the Red Door group are opening a place called Blue Door somewhere down there. Wonder if thats it...

Now! This is real weird! (besides me)

but I just came back from lunch and noticed a big banner reading grand opening "Blue Door Club" but way over here on Wilcrest/Westheimer. Haif's getting scarier :ph34r:

Just a silly question. Washington Ave is considered The Heights?

Doesn't sound right. Not if Washington starts near downtown. How can that be?

Back in the days before I-10, I think everything up to and including Washington was indeed "The Heights". I could be wrong about that. But there is a "heights bank" building at the corner of Heights Blvd and Washington. And check out this cool old map from 1913. Seems that the section down Heights Blvd did meet up with Washington.

To the east, the Woodland Heights neighborhood runs all the way to I-45. There was a larger park to the south along the bayou that would have kept that more separated from the Washington Ave corridor. Today, it's an easy hop over the Watson/Taylor/Sawyer St bridge to get to the Darkhorse and Corkscrew. Closer to downtown, Washington Ave was/is considered 6th Ward.

UPDATES:

1. "The Social" Is open or at least that's what the sign indicates? I will go try it sometime this week.

2. Here is the website to the development on Feagan between Detering and Sheperd http://www.cacereshomes.com/

3. Azuma has windows and it looks as if they are actually trying to finish the building, FINALLY.

What do you think

From what I gleaned, they had a fall-off after their initial surge, but it seems they have really attracted a good, constant following. They had a pretty full house this past Friday night...just enough table rotation to have seating available. Between their initiatives like steak night and the synergy provided by other similar joints in that area like the Dark Horse and Beavers, I think they have good staying power.

They also just added a kitchen that serves up gourmet pizzas and cheese plates (in addition to their delicious chocolate truffles!). They also started staying open on Sundays. Theyir wine nights and "singles" things are always sold out. I think they are probably doing pretty well. Plus, great service, great atmosphere, great remodel of a historic building - I love it!

But, the food at Max's IS worth dealing with the crowds. Their bread pudding? Yum.

Anyone hear anything about a proposed office building on Center Street at White Street just off of Washington and Houston Ave. Very close to the 6th ward historic district. I've heard rumors of a collaboration between different architecture firms in Houston that are working on this project. Is it real? Is it going to happen or is it just another Shamrock? Will there be retail?

Dream

Another wine bar would be great since Max's is always crowded.

Please post info.

YES!!! More wine bars, that is exactly what Washington Avenue needs, along with a few more mexican restaurants, there simply aren't enough choices.

YES!!! More wine bars, that is exactly what Washington Avenue needs, along with a few more mexican restaurants, there simply aren't enough choices.

Wow! someone isn't a fan, what would you suggest? I guess another wine bar would make the street the wine corridor or something...

Guest danax
those $18 burgers keep out the riffraff

In the near future, the riffraff can go to Prince's Hamburgers, which will soon start construction on Shepherd, a couple of blocks south of Cadillac Bar.

i think they are just pointing out that originality is lost.

That would be correct. Not a whole lot of originality along Washington Avenue when it comes to new construction.

When I moved to the area, there was Cadillac Bar, Mission Burrito, El Rey, Los Dos Amigos, Terlingua, and probably four or five other little taquerias. Then they started construction on El Tiempo. "Great!" I thought, "I like El Tiempo, the margaritas knock me on my ars and the food is delicious. I hate going into the crowded Richmond location, soon I won't have to go."

Several months after that, I noticed some construction on Durham, then a sign, "Cyclone Anaya's". I did not know what that was, then my friend told me in was a mexican restaurant. "Huh, okay, well I guess it could be an alternative if El Tiempo is too crowded."

Then shortly after that, more construction. "What could it be?" I wondered. "Oh, Molina's, more mexican food." I now have ten or more mexican restaurants within a one-two mile radius of my house.

I am just feeling the same way about the wine bars. First Cova, then I saw the Corkscrew down the street, then Max's. Every time they start moving dirt around I get excited, then, it is usually a let down once they put up the sign and I realize "Oh, it's another this or that." I mean, there are two different "sell your stuff on ebay" stores in the Max's parking lot.

There are finally some new things popping up. Mak Chin's [or whatever it is] is a nice addition. Not spectacular, but at least some variety. I am excited about Azuma, but by the looks of it, by the time they get around to finishing it, there will be two, maybe three other Japanese restaurants in the area.

Oh well, I'm going on and on, not really sure if I am making a point. There is a lack of originality. Do I have a better suggestion? Eh, not really. I'd like to see more variety, but whatever, I'll probably just keep going to Cahill's.

Oh well, I'm going on and on, not really sure if I am making a point. There is a lack of originality. Do I have a better suggestion? Eh, not really. I'd like to see more variety,...

concur i liked washington because it had some originality. now it is less eclectic.

Guest danax

^

I don't think the restaurant/bar business allows for much risk taking, so the copycats aren't surprising. There are only a handful of popular cuisines anyway. I'd say Indian might be a good one at some point.I'm excited by how that area has become the semi-casual wine and dine zone in town.

Being so close to so many new townhomes, it would seem to have good potential to stay that way for a long time, and that's probably why restauranteurs are flocking there. More important to me than variety of cuisine is how the new architecture looks and interacts with the overall scene there. It's well known that people will flock to a restaurant that has "atmosphere". I would say the same holds true for a district.

^

I don't think the restaurant/bar business allows for much risk taking, so the copycats aren't surprising. There are only a handful of popular cuisines anyway. I'd say Indian might be a good one at some point.I'm excited by how that area has become the semi-casual wine and dine zone in town.

Being so close to so many new townhomes, it would seem to have good potential to stay that way for a long time, and that's probably why restauranteurs are flocking there. More important to me than variety of cuisine is how the new architecture looks and interacts with the overall scene there. It's well known that people will flock to a restaurant that has "atmosphere". I would say the same holds true for a district.

the area is becoming more "traditional" population-wise and so are the retail offerings.

That would be correct. Not a whole lot of originality along Washington Avenue when it comes to new construction.

When I moved to the area, there was Cadillac Bar, Mission Burrito, El Rey, Los Dos Amigos, Terlingua, and probably four or five other little taquerias. Then they started construction on El Tiempo. "Great!" I thought, "I like El Tiempo, the margaritas knock me on my ars and the food is delicious. I hate going into the crowded Richmond location, soon I won't have to go."

Several months after that, I noticed some construction on Durham, then a sign, "Cyclone Anaya's". I did not know what that was, then my friend told me in was a mexican restaurant. "Huh, okay, well I guess it could be an alternative if El Tiempo is too crowded."

Then shortly after that, more construction. "What could it be?" I wondered. "Oh, Molina's, more mexican food." I now have ten or more mexican restaurants within a one-two mile radius of my house.

I am just feeling the same way about the wine bars. First Cova, then I saw the Corkscrew down the street, then Max's. Every time they start moving dirt around I get excited, then, it is usually a let down once they put up the sign and I realize "Oh, it's another this or that." I mean, there are two different "sell your stuff on ebay" stores in the Max's parking lot.

There are finally some new things popping up. Mak Chin's [or whatever it is] is a nice addition. Not spectacular, but at least some variety. I am excited about Azuma, but by the looks of it, by the time they get around to finishing it, there will be two, maybe three other Japanese restaurants in the area.

Oh well, I'm going on and on, not really sure if I am making a point. There is a lack of originality. Do I have a better suggestion? Eh, not really. I'd like to see more variety, but whatever, I'll probably just keep going to Cahill's.

True and I agree with you about the lack of originality around this area, but I will say the Cova, Max's, Azuma, etc are the type of places that will keep this area thriving. I wish there were more places like those in the white oak/heights area, but I'm afraid they will get priced out if they don't come sooner than later. Yes, It has taken some time, but at least Azuma is keeping the building. With that being sad I would rather see Benjys, Corkscrew, Cova rather than a check cashing place, criket store or another e-bay store. :unsure:

Guest danax
With that being sad I would rather see Benjys, Corkscrew, Cova rather than a check cashing place, criket store or another e-bay store. :unsure:

or thrift stores, or garage sales.......which the e-bay stores are the 21st century/yuppie version of both.

Any renderings or possible tenants??

It appears that Lovett Commerical has several projects in the works for the East side of Washington (i.e. by Corkscrew etc...). Here is their info...

1902 Washington Blvd - Mixed Use Development

post-1524-1186501597.jpg

1814 Washington Blvd - Resurrecting the Dittman Building into a possible restaurant. No renderings, but the link has some good photos inside and out of the building. At least they are trying to save this buidling.

It appears that Lovett Commerical has several projects in the works for the East side of Washington (i.e. by Corkscrew etc...). Here is their info...

post-1524-1186501597.jpg

1814 Washington Blvd - Resurrecting the Dittman Building into a possible restaurant. No renderings, but the link has some good photos inside and out of the building. At least they are trying to save this buidling.

i like how there's no train in the drawing AND how it says "abundant street parking." 150 homes to be built in 6 months.

should be interesting.

post-1524-1186501597.jpg

Thanks for the info!

Archived