Washington Avenue Information & Developments

mhh222

Went to Soma on Thursday (between Shepherd and Durham)... sat at the sushi bar. It took over half an hour for our 2 rolls and 3 nigiri orders to arrive. The place wasn't busy when we arrived (maybe 6:45). There were at least 3 or 4 sushi chefs behind the bar. The sushi was good but we were grumbling because it took so long. Don't know what the trouble was.

I was also a little disturbed that someone came with a wet rag to wipe up the counter top in front of me while I was still sitting there before the bill was paid. Sure, I dropped a few crumbs and those should be wiped up before the next party sat down but I didn't feel that it was appropriate while I was still right there.

If we go back we'll probably grab a table and order non-sushi items to see if the main kitchen is faster.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went to Soma on Thursday (between Shepherd and Durham)... sat at the sushi bar. It took over half an hour for our 2 rolls and 3 nigiri orders to arrive. The place wasn't busy when we arrived (maybe 6:45). There were at least 3 or 4 sushi chefs behind the bar. The sushi was good but we were grumbling because it took so long. Don't know what the trouble was.

I was also a little disturbed that someone came with a wet rag to wipe up the counter top in front of me while I was still sitting there before the bill was paid. Sure, I dropped a few crumbs and those should be wiped up before the next party sat down but I didn't feel that it was appropriate while I was still right there.

If we go back we'll probably grab a table and order non-sushi items to see if the main kitchen is faster.

How was the decor? It seems like they put a lot of money/time/effort into building out that space...

How was the decor? It seems like they put a lot of money/time/effort into building out that space...

Actually the decor was pretty nice. Uplit flagstone walls as you walk to the front door, dimly lit interior, drop pendants for the sushi chefs' task lighting. There is a lounge area and bar to the left as you walk in that looked cool and big enough to hang with a group. But sitting at the sushi bar our view was more of the fish. They didn't have printed menus yet... our menu was a stapled 3-page xerox document. Not a big deal but obviously a few things are still being pulled together for the restaurant.

Oh, and something to note... most of the parking spots in that lot are reserved for "the crew" which I guess is the gym next door (on the N side of the complex). So you have to do the valet thing, which I think is ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hope the new Washington nightlife doesn't kill Midtown. Even though every Midtown bar is packed on weekend nights, I enjoy having an area of the city like that. If the Washington area identifies itself as more upscale than Midtown or the laid back bars for the Midtown graduates (26+), then I'm okay with it. I like Midtown for the kids right out of college.

midtown is almost has been.....

I would disagree with that. With the development Crosspoint has going in, the new Farb properties, and Camden's 250+ complex going up a block away from the Red Line, I think Midtown is getting its second wind. Plus, just look at Shot Bar, the new Midtown bar by Tipsy Clover. That bar is doing great business. The Washington Corridor still has a ways to go.

Houston's nightlife scene is getting big enough to support another weekend destination.

I would disagree with that. With the development Crosspoint has going in, the new Farb properties, and Camden's 250+ complex going up a block away from the Red Line, I think Midtown is getting its second wind. Plus, just look at Shot Bar, the new Midtown bar by Tipsy Clover. That bar is doing great business. The Washington Corridor still has a ways to go.

Houston's nightlife scene is getting big enough to support another weekend destination.

non-bar growth is what midtown needs. there are quite a few bars that did a great business that are now history. i'm talkin stable nightlife.

non-bar growth is what midtown needs. there are quite a few bars that did a great business that are now history. i'm talkin stable nightlife.

Yeah I agree. However, there is currently residential and retail under construction, and even more in proposed development. I don't think Midtown is going away for awhile.

Yeah I agree. However, there is currently residential and retail under construction, and even more in proposed development. I don't think Midtown is going away for awhile.

how do you feel about add'l apartments vs individually owned condos/townhomes?

Y'all, this is a thread about the redevelopment of Washington Ave -- maybe you should take this discussion to the Midtown forum! Back on topic, plenty of goings on along Washington...

• Benji's has finally begun construction. Interesting that the footprint of the building is a relatively small section on the southwest side of the lot. The rest is parking. Anyone seen any renderings of the final product? Based on what's there so far, looks like a lost opportunity to improve the street-scape, but too early to tell for sure.
  • Town-home complex diagonally across Washington from Benji's (the one that had the major fire) approaching completion -- starting a wall to close it off from the street.
  • Soma finally done! Big improvement over the O'Reilly's that was last in that spot. The former Eckerd's/CVS is still empty and the gym in the back appears to be doing pretty well. Wonder when they're going to take down what's left of the two old and ugly sign posts along Washington?
  • A commercial property, Eye Impact, has broken ground across from El Tiempo. Takes up about 1/3 of the site, the rest of which is El Tiempo's valet/overflow parking. The eye impact sign I think used to say "coming Spring 2006" so good to see some progress!
  • The new apartment complex, called "The Core" at 3990 Washington is nearing completion -- not to bad in that it isn't cookie cutter, but I'm not convinced that I love it yet! Yahoo! Real Estate lists units going from $1,125 to $3,000.
  • The concrete is up on the strip center across from the Core. That baby is tall compared to the other new strip centers on Washington.
  • And for those of us that live in the area, the CVS (which aesthetically speaking, doesn't do us any favors) is now open 24 hours! So you're good if you need some benadryl at 3:00 AM!!!

So, now that we're firmly back on topic, what other Washington St. news is out there?

Edited by mhh222

if the number of tow trucks defines a community, doesn't sound too welcoming.

Not my point at all. All i'm saying is that midtown crowds have been stronger than ever and new bars are opening up pretty frequently and doing well. It may not be the crowds you are looking for but to characterize it as "almost has been" is far from correct.

Benji's has finally begun construction. Interesting that the footprint of the building is a relatively small section on the southwest side of the lot. The rest is parking. Anyone seen any renderings of the final product? Based on what's there so far, looks like a lost opportunity to improve the street-scape, but too early to tell for sure.

Now i'll get back on topic :)

I would love to see more pedestrian friendly areas, but I don't think this is a realistic place for it. If I'm not mistaken, the city requires a minimum number of spaces per square foot in retail centers. People need to park somewhere. One of the major issues on Washington is going to be parking. There's just not enough pay parking or on street parking to service all the new nightlife/restaurants. Trying to park near Porch Swing Pub on a nice day is next to impossible.

Well I think both are vital to establish a strong neighborhood, especially one that is supposed to be for yuppies. And both are under development in Midtown.

not sure if i'd agree long term. someone who has a stake as a property owner is more likely to care about the hood vs one living in an apartment.

Now i'll get back on topic :)

I would love to see more pedestrian friendly areas, but I don't think this is a realistic place for it. If I'm not mistaken, the city requires a minimum number of spaces per square foot in retail centers. People need to park somewhere. One of the major issues on Washington is going to be parking. There's just not enough pay parking or on street parking to service all the new nightlife/restaurants. Trying to park near Porch Swing Pub on a nice day is next to impossible.

i can't imagine much pedestrian traffic aroud that area b/c washington is such a main thoroughfare. i mean, you should see the way i drive down that street. i wouldn't want to be walking in front of me :P

y'all, can we just talk about traffic here for a second (related to washington corridor, of course): the side streets that connect washington to memorial can barely fit one car with all the new townhomes. do you think they are going to make some of those streets one way eventually? for a city this size, i find that houston has very few one way streets.

also, when all the projects go up on yale and studewood, i think i may never leave the heights. studewood is already a short cut for people getting on 10 or 610 after work. when those two areas are developed, it's going to be major traffic and i just don't see how they could widen the road with the bayou and some of the established businesses in the way...

y'all, can we just talk about traffic here for a second (related to washington corridor, of course
this is a major problem in quite a few areas. infrastructure isn't designed to provide the volume of street parking for businesses without hindering neighborhood access/parking for residents.

Y'all, this is a thread about the redevelopment of Washington Ave -- maybe you should take this discussion to the Midtown forum! Back on topic, plenty of goings on along Washington...

• mmh222, Thanks for regulating and attempting to keep the midtown noise out of here...that was definitely needed, i should've commented sooner.

i can't imagine much pedestrian traffic aroud that area b/c washington is such a main thoroughfare.

Yeah, but the way development is headed, it will feel like one big "strip" soon. Which could have people walking from place to place......maybe more shopping amongst the wine bars and mexican restaurants? :P I dont know...Midtown is one big grid and you always see people out and about. Perhaps the strip feel of Washington could be a negative.

Nice save for the Art Deco fire station. Is it up & running?

Also, speaking of Washington, how is what used to be "Rockefellers", that old bank building doing?

Please tell me it is still there. :mellow:

Yeah, but the way development is headed, it will feel like one big "strip" soon. Which could have people walking from place to place......maybe more shopping amongst the wine bars and mexican restaurants? :P I dont know...Midtown is one big grid and you always see people out and about. Perhaps the strip feel of Washington could be a negative.

south congress in austin is a major thoroughfare but that hasn't impeded pedstrian traffic in the least... no reason to think the same cant occur on washington.

Edited by swtsig

We won't really get a feel for its metamorphosis until more of the planned residential/retail construction ends and the city redoes the street, including the sidewalks. Part of what makes Washington Avenue unattractive/uninviting for pedestrians at the moment is the amount of construction some people have to walk through as well as the fact that most of the sidewalks along Washington simply needs to be redone.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

Part of what makes Washington Avenue unattractive/uninviting for pedestrians at the moment is ...... the fact that most of the sidewalks along Washington simply needs to be redone.

unless this is addressed as part of a capital improvements project, don't look for any changes.