mhh222

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

guadalajara is closing so that should discourage a few.

Two friends who went there for lunch today reported back that they got another year on their lease, but didn't have any additional info. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

It would make my damn day if they were going to stay open at least one more year... :)

Anyone on here know what is going in on the corner of Knox and Washington?

Just keeping tabs on the new building around the area and I think we have far surpassed the quota on wine bars, mexican restuarants, cleaners, mattress stores and check cashing places so I was hoping it was none of the above!

Heard a rumor the other day from a good source that there are several new pub/bars going in on Washington around the Heights/Shepard area... I think there were 4 mentioned however the only one I can remember is one the owners of Harp are putting in. Anyone have anymore info on others? This would be an awesome strip type environment especially if its a bunch of bars that don't charge a cover... Anyone been to Bricktown in OKC? I can see something along those lines happening up and down Washington, with bars lining the streets and restuarants filling in behind and around. Will be a neat area when everything gets completed.

Heard a rumor the other day from a good source that there are several new pub/bars going in on Washington around the Heights/Shepard area... I think there were 4 mentioned however the only one I can remember is one the owners of Harp are putting in. Anyone have anymore info on others? This would be an awesome strip type environment especially if its a bunch of bars that don't charge a cover... Anyone been to Bricktown in OKC? I can see something along those lines happening up and down Washington, with bars lining the streets and restuarants filling in behind and around. Will be a neat area when everything gets completed.

Wouldn't be surprising. This area seems to be passing Midtown. I like both areas, however I wish Washington were more walkable.

I'm not sure where you connection to Bricktown is coming in - I don't see them being similar at all, quite honestly. I wasn't really all that impressed with Bricktown when I was in OKC back in May...a step in the right direction, but I don't necessarily find it anything to aspire to, anyway.

That said, I was pretty impressed with the happy hour crowds on Washington yesterday. I wonder how long this bar/club boom will last?

I would think that if the businesses start getting put in, it will push the city to look into making it more walkable... I have no problem walking a few blocks while bar hopping/eating out... Nice street lights and big sidewalks arent that hard to fix... Its just the parking you have to figure out. I know in OKC they make a fortune on parking at night for the bars...

Was refering to the long walk/ strip type atmosphere.... Not the whole master plan as a whole. Obviously there wouldnt be a canal, Ford center, etc...

Edited by SaintCyr

Washington & Silver proposed mixed use:

29c1fnq.jpg

and small retail proposed on Washington (or maybe Center) and White:

302vrsl.jpg

wish i had some info on these, but alas i do not.... perhaps someone here does, though.

This was presented on this forum a while ago and I think it's a few years out, however Lovett has been doing a lot of work on a few buildings that front Washington Avenue.

• Like 1

The owners of The Harp are opeining an Irish bar across the street from Pearl Bar, where Chaines is (however the hell you spell it). I'm looking forward to this because the area needs a few more laid back bars.

Edited by ToolMan

Wouldn't be surprising. This area seems to be passing Midtown. I like both areas, however I wish Washington were more walkable.

I agree on the walkability issue, but I'm sure that it will eventually come to the area due to the amount of retail/mixed use environment that's approaching. It'd be nice if the city fixed the sidewalks and put up a unique "StreetScape" for Washington (or at least a section of the Corridor)...I've seen this work in many cities and it would do wonders for the street (IMO)

I agree on the walkability issue, but I'm sure that it will eventually come to the area due to the amount of retail/mixed use environment that's approaching. It'd be nice if the city fixed the sidewalks and put up a unique "StreetScape" for Washington (or at least a section of the Corridor)...I've seen this work in many cities and it would do wonders for the street (IMO)

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the "streetscape" improvements came with the light rail expansion...which is probably 10 years away or more.

As for valets and walkability, the truly urban hipsters can take the 36 or the 85 all up and down Washington, with stops every 2 blocks. As an added bonus, the 85 goes to Downtown and Midtown, and the 36 heads through Downtown on its way to Eastwood.

Now, THATS urban! :D

The motorized pedi-cabs were pretty busy for White Linen this year. I'd bet someone with an entrepreneurial spirit could set up a small transport that does nothing but run from the wow circle to houston ave on weekends and make some decent coin by carting the bar hoppers from one locale to another.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the "streetscape" improvements came with the light rail expansion...which is probably 10 years away or more.

As for valets and walkability, the truly urban hipsters can take the 36 or the 85 all up and down Washington, with stops every 2 blocks. As an added bonus, the 85 goes to Downtown and Midtown, and the 36 heads through Downtown on its way to Eastwood.

Now, THATS urban! :D

But, but, but... aren't there NON-urban hipsters riding on those. :rolleyes:

This was presented on this forum a while ago and I think it's a few years out, however Lovett has been doing a lot of work on a few buildings that front Washington Avenue.

Is that a bookstore I see? That would be great. A bookstore is sorely needed around here.

Is that a bookstore I see? That would be great. A bookstore is sorely needed around here.

The building in that rendering is an existing one at the northwest corner of Washington and Silver Street. It extends from Washington through to Center and the part fronting Center Street currently is home to the Drake nightclub. The rendering itself is conceptual. A lot of retail developers do this kind of thing to help in marketing a building to prospective tenants.

The rendering showing the larger development is also conceptual at this point, as evidenced by the graphic artist's depiction of Washington Avenue as what appears to be a two-lane neighborhood street. That isn't the least bit realistic.

These places are on other boards, but here is a list of a few new Washington places:

(the 3rd) Bronx Bar - going in the shopping center between Max's/Molina's shopping center the Blue Label/Joy Yoga shopping center. There is a sign up (old white building), and remodeling going on.

Lush Lounge - on the other (east) side of the Blue Label/Joy Yoga shopping center. There is an alcohol permit sign up.

Taps House of Beers - Washington @ Reinermin, in the old red brick building, has an alcohol permit sign up. Seen a few people milling about, but there's still a bunch of junky cars inside of the building. Going to need some major refurb.

Across from Soma (on Washington), there is an old dry cleaner's building with another application to sell alcohol

OOOOOO Yippy! Maybe we really will get a laid back bar on washington with the harp place. Pearl bar is ridiculous these days. Brad and Bridgette had a vision for that place, and I really don't think this is it. I drove by last night around 1030 and there was a line of at least 40 people WAITING to get in! Are you serious?! I also was quite the little buisness lady last night and made 15 bucks by telling folks that were clearly not from the neighborhood that I would be happy to keep an eye on their cars if they parked them on the street in front of my house! Happy trails back to the woodlands, guy with the gigantic ford pickup truck!

The gentlemen who owns Laredo Taqueria came in to quite a deal of good fortune when he purchased the lot where the old red house once stood. He paid less than half the land value. Now he uses it all day for his taco place and at night is charging 5 dollars a spot to park there. On the positive side, there is someone watching the parking lots until 230 am, and it keeps the riff raff away from the payphone!

OOOOOO Yippy! Maybe we really will get a laid back bar on washington with the harp place.

Go to the Darkhorse Tavern. You can get laid back today, instead of waiting for something that will claim laid back, but end up Pearl Bar. Bryan, the owner, opened up before it was cool to open on Washington. Just a prediction, but nothing that opens west of Yale will be laid back, from the looks of things. Only the 6th Ward/Houston Avenue area has a chance.

EDIT: Oh and good job, margo. Reminds me of the entreprenuers around the Cotton Bowl back in the day. :D

Edited by RedScare

OOOOOO Yippy! Maybe we really will get a laid back bar on washington with the harp place. Pearl bar is ridiculous these days. Brad and Bridgette had a vision for that place, and I really don't think this is it. I drove by last night around 1030 and there was a line of at least 40 people WAITING to get in! Are you serious?! I also was quite the little buisness lady last night and made 15 bucks by telling folks that were clearly not from the neighborhood that I would be happy to keep an eye on their cars if they parked them on the street in front of my house! Happy trails back to the woodlands, guy with the gigantic ford pickup truck!

The gentlemen who owns Laredo Taqueria came in to quite a deal of good fortune when he purchased the lot where the old red house once stood. He paid less than half the land value. Now he uses it all day for his taco place and at night is charging 5 dollars a spot to park there. On the positive side, there is someone watching the parking lots until 230 am, and it keeps the riff raff away from the payphone!

i'll go ahead and admit that the pearl bar i loved just a few short months ago is no longer... at least on friday and saturday nights. lines, middle-aged men in skin tight affliction t-shirts with spiky hair and designer jeans, plastic women with too much botox, etc. what a damn shame, and i agree that that is not what bridgette was shooting for when she opened the place. i've still enjoyed myself on happy hours there, especially with the old-school funk and r&b DJ spinning out back, but the laid back friday or saturday nights of playing table some beer pong or flip cup or just relaxing with some friends are over... for now, at least.

I'm way out of the club scene in Houston, but talking to a friend about a place I noticed that was empty, he commented that he thinks that Houston has a migrating scene. A hot new place opens up, catches fire, keeps going for a bit, then the crowd moves on somewhere else, almost completely abandoning that place. No rhyme or reason most of the time, and with lots of re-treads, places opening under a new name. I'm talking "hot" clubs, not laid back, icehouse, hangout type places. Maybe it'll calm back down for Pearl Bar. I won't go near it unless it does, I can't stand a clubby atmosphere. Trendy=annoying in my book.

Agreed, psuedo-Studio 54 type atmospheres are really annoying. I hate it when they make a line form outside just to make it seem like it's packed inside (i.e. Drake/Pandora).

On the flip side, I love the exposure that it gives to the Corridor.

10 years ago, I would have never thought midtown had a chance, but now, it really is a thriving community.

I believe Wash Corridor has so much more potential because of the green spaces nearby.

It would be great if a 24 Fitness opened up around there (I am biased since chain gyms are great for availability when traveling).

Also, maybe a Randall's signature or Rice Epicurean would make a killing serving the immediate neighborhood. (Central Market and Whole Foods are already taken).

I do agree with the Migrating club scene, but I hope the migrating scene stays in the Washington Corridor area! (i.e. Citizen is hot, then not, then Blue Label Lounge is hot, then not, etc etc)