Washington Avenue Information & Developments

mhh222

Took a ride down wash. today and saw more than the usual amount of construction taking place on Azuma!!! Also it looks likes the apartments at washington/yale are coming along as is the the development that will house the blue label. Any renderings or possible tenants?? Another wine bar would be great since Max's is always crowded.

Please post info.

4500 & 4600 Washington avenue info:( this is where the blue label is and the three story building (4600) is one block west. Let's not forget about the retail scheduled to be across from the apartments. "Urban?" :rolleyes:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/busine...ff/4895295.html

4500 washington (Majority of the parking is behind the building) :blush:

James Craig furnishings

Joy Yoga

??Sushi??

Blue Label Lounge

Fitness Exchange

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4500 & 4600 Washington avenue info:( this is where the blue label is and the three story building (4600) is one block west. Let's not forget about the retail scheduled to be across from the apartments. "Urban?" :rolleyes:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/busine...ff/4895295.html

4500 washington (Majority of the parking is behind the building) :blush:

James Craig furnishings

Bikrams Yoga

??Sushi??

Blue Label Lounge

Here is the Flyer (with limted info) from ORRs website.

I wonder what they (Houston) will do with the old Fire Station, with this new development?

Here is the Flyer (with limted info) from ORRs website.

I wonder what they (Houston) will do with the old Fire Station, with this new development?

I hope they keep it and based on tax credit incentives it'd be a nice museum, eatery or office building. I mean it's nearly 80 years old, still standing, a few blocks from sixth ward and the heights, THEY (city of houston/historic society) must have something figured out for it?? The way they care for allen house, etc.(eventhough I'm a huge fan of regent square) It's a surprise the fire station hasn't been knocked down!

I have always thought that it would make a cool icehouse.

I think there was something on HAIF at one time about a known restauranteer (for lack of a better word) owning this and planning to open a restaurant here... but I can't find it (and HCAD says the station is owned by the City of Houston). Did I imagine this?

Heard the Red Door group are opening a place called Blue Door somewhere down there. Wonder if thats it...

It's the building across the street from the Corkscrew. They have begun gutting it but keep having road blocks. First it was parking now it's some kind of permit issue I think. There's some official permitting sign that gets put up on building when they have been "approved" for whatever reason. Well that sign keeps going up and then coming down on that building.

I think there was something on HAIF at one time about a known restauranteer (for lack of a better word) owning this and planning to open a restaurant here... but I can't find it (and HCAD says the station is owned by the City of Houston). Did I imagine this?

Hmmm....guess you'd have to get it away from the City of Houston to do anything with it. That could be tough. They already have to HFD Museum in Midtown, so I doubt they would make another fire museum.

• 2 weeks later...

Historic Fire Station No. 11 is Saved! On June 13, 2007, the city council voted to sell Fire Station No. 11 to Mr. Matt Tabrizi for $350,000. According to the plan approved by the HAHC (HoustonArchaeological and Historical Commission) also on June 13, Mr. Tabrizi plans to convert the first floor into retail/restaurant space, and the second floor into livingspace. The exterior facing Washington will be restored as original. Because of the hard work of Barry Whitehead (Architect and Project Manager for the Houston Fire Department) and Randy Pace (Houston's Historic Preservation Officer), Fire Station No. 11 was designated a protected landmark in May, 2006. A protected landmark is a new designation which requires mandatory compliance after due process

HBJ article regarding the restaurantage on Washington:

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories.../27/story5.html

As pictured, Benjy's is underway. Well, the lot's cleared and batter boards are in place, at least.

Can you paste the article on here? I have a bizjournal account (online) and I can't access the print section, like this article.

Can you paste the article on here? I have a bizjournal account (online) and I can't access the print section, like this article.

Washington Avenue morphing into restaurant row

Houston Business Journal - August 24, 2007

by Allison Wollam

Houston Business Journal

A series of high-end restaurants have begun clustering along Washington Avenue even as property values and retail rents continue to skyrocket above those in the more established Westheimer/Montrose area.

Chef Monica Pope, owner of T'afia restaurant in Midtown, is the latest restaurateur to announce she's ready to cook on Washington Avenue.

Pope and a group of investors are planning to open a new concept called Beaver's next month. The restaurant will be located at Sawyer and Washington Avenue, just south of the former Pig Stand restaurant.

Benjy's, the trendy West University-area restaurant at 2424 Dunstan, is also expanding to the area.

Benjy's is planning a two-story restaurant at 5922 Washington Ave. that will include a ground-level patio and second-floor lounge when it opens next June.

And another Rice Village-area tenant, Azuma Sushi & Robata Bar, will open an eatery on Washington Avenue in the Washington Square shopping center later this year.

Meanwhile, Catalan Food & Wine Bar, Cova Hand-Selected Wines, El Tiempo Cantina, Molina's Cantina, Max's Wine Dive and Cyclone Anaya's have all recently set up shop on the busy street.

Pope, a 15-year veteran of the local restaurant industry who formerly operated the now-shuttered Boulevard Bistro on Montrose, says she has seen different areas of town emerge as restaurant hotspots over the years. Now, it's Washington Avenue that is striking a chord with restaurant owners and diners.

"People are always looking for a new area with a buzz," she says. "It's starting to really look like a restaurant corridor."

The popularity of the Washington Avenue area is reflected in the still-rising rental rates, which reached $2.03 per square foot in the second quarter, up from $2 in the first quarter, according to research firm O'Connor & Associates. Meanwhile, rental rates in more high-profile Westheimer/Montrose area lagged behind, staying flat at $1.78 per square foot in the first and second quarters of this year.

Pope compares the new restaurant explosion along Washington Avenue to the Midtown area three years ago when she opened T'afia at 3701 Travis St.

"Once I saw that the Continental Club was surviving and Julia's Bistro was opening, I got the perception that I wasn't in no-man's land and that there was a nice pocket of activity going on in the (Midtown) area," she says.

Mark Hanna, owner of Houston-based restaurant and hospitality consulting firm Customer First, says early activity had restaurants flocking to the west end of Washington Avenue, but the trend is now spreading throughout the area.

"While there has been a lot of major residential development going on in the area, a lot of the properties right on Washington Avenue have remained quite affordable," he says.

Eager Beaver's

Washington Avenue's newest resident, Beaver's, is described by Pope as an "ice house with good Texas-style barbecue where people can come and hang out."

Jon Alford, who has previously manned the barbecue pits at Central Market and Demeris Barbecue, will serve as the pit master for what Pope calls "a grueling 24-hour-a-day process in the kitchen."

"We have a group of real estate veterans, restaurant owners and people with expertise in barbecue, so this is a group effort," she says.

Pope says she's been watching the area for about four years, and the concept came together when the location, a former bar, became available.

Just down the street, the new Benjy's will span 7,500 square feet, which is 50 percent larger than the original location near Rice Village. Owner Benjy Levit says he chose the Washington Avenue location because of the large amount of land he was able to acquire in the area.

The new restaurant, which went under construction about two weeks ago, will feature a party room that can accommodate up to 40 guests. Levit notes that the new eatery will be far enough away from the original Benjy's that it will serve an entirely different market.

"The demographics of the Washington Avenue area fit our target market," Levit says. "It's a densely populated area with a lot of young people who like to go out."

Washington Avenue Newcomers

RESTAURANT NAME

I am not entirely sure what is being built there, or if what I heard about is the same thing. But I have heard speculation that the Merfish building that is currently being gutted out, is going to be used as a facade for a large living / retail space. I would love to know more about that.

I think in contrast to all these wine bars there needs to be a sports bar or neighborhood pub... something that draws regulars... a home away from home type place... not to be too cliche, but sort of like Cheers.... Cahills sort of does that, but doesn't have a high enough profile nor enough of a feel... I think a BW3 could work well as much as it pains me...

anyone know what is going to happen to all the space in that center next to Candelari's on the Washington roundabout?

I think in contrast to all these wine bars there needs to be a sports bar or neighborhood pub... something that draws regulars... a home away from home type place... not to be too cliche, but sort of like Cheers.... Cahills sort of does that, but doesn't have a high enough profile nor enough of a feel... I think a BW3 could work well as much as it pains me... anyone know what is going to happen to all the space in that center next to Candelari's on the Washington roundabout?
Idogg, I agree. BTW, the space next to Candelari's is the site of the new Benji's location. Looks like they're building the wood forms for the foundation. Interesting that this only takes up as small portion of the site on the southeast side. To bad if the rest is just for parking, but who knows? I was hoping the new building would take up most of the Washington frontage with parking on the side and back, but we'll see how it plays out. Does anyone have pix/plans for the new restaurant?
I can add that the Azuma location at Washington and Sheperd will also house a gym. Fitness Exchange is moving to this location and changing names.The expected completion is the end of September/ first part of October.
WestGrayGuy, does it seem to you that the Azuma/Fitness Exchange construction is just taking forever? Wonder if they've been having permitting problems or something -- I'm so ready for that site to be done! I did notice that they put some good looking blue tile in the "crown" at the center/top of the building.

WestGrayGuy, does it seem to you that the Azuma/Fitness Exchange construction is just taking forever? Wonder if they've been having permitting problems or something -- I'm so ready for that site to be done! I did notice that they put some good looking blue tile in the "crown" at the center/top of the building.

It really is... the new gym was supposed to open in late August.

Cahills sort of does that, but doesn't have a high enough profile nor enough of a feel... I think a BW3 could work well as much as it pains me...

Not enough of a feel? What feel are you going for? I'll take Bubba's or Cahill's anyday over a BW3. It doesn't get much more neighborhood pub / sports bar than that. I live two blocks from Cahill's (stumbling distance) and go quite often because I can walk their in 2-3 minutes. I know the owner, bartenders, waitresses, and even the cooks by name.

If you are going for the "cliche" Cheers feel, it's like Cheers in the sense that I know their names and they know my name, because I go there a lot. Sam and Carla didn't know Norm's name the first time he walked in to Cheers.

If you want that "feel", you need to be a regular customer, interact with the staff, remember their names, be polite, tip well, and bring your friends.

I do believe a BW3 would do very well in the area, but I'll be watching the game at Cahill's. You should give it another chance, it's a great place.

Cahill's used to be one of my favorites, we would go there once or twice a week. We stopped going because I moved a little farther away. It is a great bar, I still go every now and then. It's a heck of a lot more crowded now as compared to 4-5 years ago. Darkhorse is great as well. Anyone know how these places are doing with the whole no smoking thing. I can't imagine cahill's being smoke-free. Seems like a couple of waitresses there smoke enough for the rest of us.

Another new lounge coming to Washington:

"Citizen (Coming Soon)

New lounge on Washington"

from gochgazette.com

Also, one place that aspires to be a "neighborhood bar" is Pearl Bar... they are currently remodeling the inside of it, and it definitely has potential!

Tonight I drove by the new bar/lounge/club being put together by the ownership group of Red Door. This is directly across Washington from The Corkscrew. They are remodeling what was once a very nice historic commercial building. A few takeaways:

1) The building is huge, not sure if they will sub-divide it into several places or keep it as one massive bar

2) The views of downtown from the upstairs deck will be second to none in the city

3) In terms of progress, they are currently working on the roof deck, and the windows now have been boarded up in preparation of replacement. Didn't look inside, but they are still gutting it and removing things from what I could see.

4) The entrace to this place appears to be around the back, so in other words, facing the side street behind Washington (not sure of the name)

5) One of the owners told me last weekend that they still needed a month to complete it. Looks to me like that is optimistic, judging by the current state of affairs, although visible progress has been made in the last week.

It should be interesting to see how this transforms that area of Washington (near Houston Street). The Red Door guys have been successful everywhere they've gone, and several bars popped up in Midtown around them. I wish they would have done something a little further West on Washington, but this building is a spectacular opportunity for them. Perfect for their style.

Update on Monica Pope's Beaver's:

Location: "2310 Decatur St. near Sawyer & Washington, just south of The Pig Stand"

"we are planning on a mid-October opening (God-willin' and the creek don't rise)"

"We are busy as beavers working on the menu and testing recipes (if you come in to t'afia in the next week and enjoy our free lounge menu, Tues-Thurs, you might even unwittingly become one our Beaver's taste-testers!). And don't forget, you can buy our BBQ (NOW!) at both the Saturday Midtown Farmers Market (at t'afia) or the Tuesday Houston Farmers Market (at Rice University)."

"WHAT YOU MAY NOT KNOW ABOUT BEAVER'S

Beaver's is a modern-day icehouse with the best "dam" BBQ in Houston. Icehouses in Texas have a long history of being THE cornerstone of a neighborhood: once the only place to get ice, they soon became gathering places to drink beer, eat and hang out with the neighbors. Beaver's fits squarely in the Texas icehouse tradition (there has been a neighborhood icehouse in this building for over 30 years) - now cleaned up and made (almost!) ready for hipsters, old-timers and urbanites alike."

Archived