Washington Avenue Information & Developments

mhh222

i live on one of those narrow streets with open ditches and have 2 points to make..

1.we have come to love our narrow street since there is very little drive thru traffic...

2.the open ditches drain better than curbs and gutters do...

I never understood the aversion to ditches. I think they add rural charm to the city, they drain streets better, and help stop the bayous flooding as water doesn't flow in quite so quickly and more water soaks into the ground rather than becoming run off. Ok, they require a bit more effort to maintain, but judging by the number of blocked up and broker gutters around town, curbed drainage isn't maintenance free either.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMHO Camillo Parra's stuff is a cut above the rest of the pack design wise. I have no idea if his construction is any better or worse.

Thanks for the response! I do admit I feel in the love with the design and layout, and I was so hung up on the floorplan that I am worried i overspent to get into one of the last ones. I haven't seen many three bedrooms in the Rice Military/WE area for under 250 though, so hopefully I did well.

Jeff

Thanks for the response! I do admit I feel in the love with the design and layout, and I was so hung up on the floorplan that I am worried i overspent to get into one of the last ones. I haven't seen many three bedrooms in the Rice Military/WE area for under 250 though, so hopefully I did well.

Jeff

I actually have a contract pending for a client on the last $224,900 one. If you love the townhouse and you feel like it was a good value compared to the others in the area, then you did the right thing. That area is still developing strong.

I actually have a contract pending for a client on the last $224,900 one. If you love the townhouse and you feel like it was a good value compared to the others in the area, then you did the right thing. That area is still developing strong.

So you were the little weasels that stole that from under my nose... I was literally an hour late on my bid.

I just put down my earnest money on a 3/2.5/2 in Upper West End (Parra's group). The price was 245, up from 225 on the original floorplans which all sold out.

http://search.har.com/engine/indexdetail.c...mp;backButton=Y

Completion in May of 07. I love the area, I think its going to do well over the next 10 years, but like other's on this thread i am concered. The fence factory has been sold as far as I've heard, and is going to be developed. I'm a few blocks north of the tracks though.

Any thoughts from experts here? I have a long-term horizon, at least 7-10 years. I love the design and layout of Parra's stuff, and I think the plan is unique enough to hold its own on resale (he has pledged not to build any new TH's of this design so there will be 12 in total in Upper West End).

Am I being naive? Thanks in advance!

The ones in question on Bonner were the Industrial. They sold out phase one and are selling phase two They were 2/2/2, and kinda oddly placed. Much closer to Washingon though.

Jeff

Thats quite a jump in price from $225,000 to $245,000. Early buyers got in on that one I guess. I found my oasis in the Heights. Just sent the earnest check out in the mail. I wont mentioned where so I dont get snaked like the other person here! Thanks for everyones help. Its not impossible to find just takes patience. Still not easy and getting harder as prices go up. They seem to be building more 2/2's. Glad I found mine.

• 4 months later...

There are indeed some icons along the corridor (unfortunately, some of them, like the Pig Stand, are closing or have already closed). OTOH, it's developing a new, funky type of urbanity--far from perfect but certainly nothing text book. I'd like to see the city step up and redo the street and the sidewalks from about Sawyer to T.C. Jester (which has already been planned but has yet to really get kicking). A design similar to Almeda in Third Ward would be cool, IMO. Meanwhile, the roundabout at Washington and Westcott (WOW) is finally starting to see the finishing touches to its landscaping.

So all in all, the future still looks very good.

It's OK but it has GREAT potential as a street that leads into downtown Houston. It is home to my favorite hood in Houston, the Sixth Ward which is where that Corkscrew pic was taken. The pics seem very selective in the 002 article. Most of the places are destinations along the corridor, not too consistent yet.

At this moment IMO Washington is the most emerging hip/eclectic area. Even with all the other things people complain about here (i.e. trains) it is running ahead of the pack. The industrial setting adds to the "eclecticness" of the area.

It's OK but it has GREAT potential as a street that leads into downtown Houston. It is home to my favorite hood in Houston, the Sixth Ward which is where that Corkscrew pic was taken. The pics seem very selective in the 002 article. Most of the places are destinations along the corridor, not too consistent yet.

Honestly, I am not sure what the montage of those pics (at the beginning of this thread) mean. I would imagine the person mean't for us to see how ugly it is or is becoming or to see whats in the near future? I could be wrong. :)

If there were some kind of eye pleasing plans in the works like lining the whole corridor with tall palms ala Beverly Hills that would be a start. Then continue with attractive well-planned buildings all the way down. Presently, it seems to be getting quite horrible like another 1960/45 area. Thats zoning gone mad! Gaudy signs crammed all into each other, business all crushed into each other, still has ditches for Gods sake!? Your right it is not too consistant at all. Asphalt jungle a la mode.

I am confident that it has great potential but only if city planners and landscaping is done in a professional way. Peace all! Dont throw your tomatoes yet!

Honestly, I am not sure what the montage of those pics (at the beginning of this thread) mean. I would imagine the person mean't for us to see how ugly it is or is becoming or to see whats in the near future? I could be wrong. :)

If there were some kind of eye pleasing plans in the works like lining the whole corridor with tall palms ala Beverly Hills that would be a start. Then continue with attractive well-planned buildings all the way down. Presently, it seems to be getting quite horrible like another 1960/45 area. Thats zoning gone mad! Gaudy signs crammed all into each other, business all crushed into each other, still has ditches for Gods sake!? Your right it is not too consistant at all. Asphalt jungle a la mode.

I am confident that it has great potential but only if city planners and landscaping is done in a professional way. Peace all! Dont throw your tomatoes yet!

Um, the montage is what Washington Ave. used to be, prior to its ongoing transformation.

Your post really makes no sense. Could you point out some examples of gaudy signs that have been added, or businesses that have crushed into each other in, say, the last 6 or 8 years? Oh, and just to humor those of us who live near this "quite horrible" thoroughfare, where are these ditches of which you speak?

Other than on maybe DT, West Gray in River Oaks and parts of Uptown, I agree that Houston districts lack the planned streetscaped look that tends to pull all of the surrounding chaos into a more pallatable visual stew.

I like our free-form approach in some ways and where else can you witness a place like Washington go from skanky/junky to swanky/funky in 5 years? But still, I would like to see the City join in with some trees or something.

Like historic preservation, we seem to be 2 steps behind on some of these basic ideas.

Oh, and just to humor those of us who live near this "quite horrible" thoroughfare, where are these ditches of which you speak?

not sure he's talking washington proper or the surrounding area which has quite a few ditches.

If there were some kind of eye pleasing plans in the works like lining the whole corridor with tall palms ala Beverly Hills that would be a start.

i think some street art would be more appropriate than palm trees. Palms trees are just too mainstream.

Peace all,

I meant I hope it never gets as ugly as 1960 area. Try driving out there around Kuykendahl at night and you are really in a nightmare. The biggest intersections have stop lights still swinging on wires (not suspended on metal poles). The street lighting is horrible if you are unfamiliar with the area I feel sorry. Street signage is the worse tiny little letters. Ditches all around? The fact that is so close to Bush Airport where many newcomers visit is an embarassment to our city. I used to have to take clients from all over the world to go to establishments out there and it was extremely inconvenient getting around. The area just grew too fast and or bad planning, so in short I am praying that planners do learn from that and give Washington corridor the respect it so richly deserves. Much better? :)

If by ditches, you meant the drainage ditches that line both sides of the already narrow residential streets... yeah, those are kind of annoying.

I lived off Utah for a year... great part of town, great being able to jog to the park... my only complaint was that none of those townhomes (with their small driveways or shared alleys) and the non-existant street parking, made it pretty difficult for a 3 car household, much less having visitors over alot.

My bad, Vertigo. I thought you were referring to Washington having the ditches. I am all too familiar with 1960/Kuykendahl, as I grew up there. My parents still live there. It can be a little harsh on the eyes, though it is a capitalist's dream. My hope for Washington is that they repave it, perhaps with an esplanade, and put in new sidewalks. Moving the power lines would be nice, though expensive. Sometimes I like the old school gritty feel that the power lines provide. I REALLY hope that they do not mow down the old buildings, but rather add new construction in between, for a new versus old eclectic look. All in all, with the amount of investment pouring in all up and down the street, Washington will do fine.

Honestly, I am not sure what the montage of those pics (at the beginning of this thread) mean. I would imagine the person mean't for us to see how ugly it is or is becoming or to see whats in the near future? I could be wrong.

As far as the signs, The Thrifty Terms, Clark Motors, and 2019, those should be saved, but they do not make for a pretty streetscape. Think 1970's and 80's Westheimer. They seem more like memorabilia that can be used.

As far as the signs, The Thrifty Terms, Clark Motors, and 2019, those should be saved, but they do not make for a pretty streetscape. Think 1970's and 80's Westheimer. They seem more like memorabilia that can be used.

i really like the signs, especially the clark motors. sure as hell beats a vinyl banner or some other cheap alternative.

i was going to say they don't make em like they used to, but i think people just don't buy them like they used to.

Maybe they can be landmarks along the sidewalks, if those can ever be improved and widened. I would love to see modern design townhomes, the actual good ones, contrast with those old signs along the sidewalk. I think that would look pretty cool.

i really like the signs, especially the clark motors. sure as hell beats a vinyl banner or some other cheap alternative.

i was going to say they don't make em like they used to, but i think people just don't buy them like they used to.

Good question. Where would one go to buy a porcelain sign?

Answer: KVO Industries Inc.

As you say, people probably don't buy them like they used to. The idea of having a business for decades at the same location now seems like wishful thinking.

Antique signs apparently are still popular in some circles, as was recently demonstrated ("Old Sign Returned to Auto Shop Owners".)

btw, congrats on 3000 quality posts, sevfiv! :D

Signs, lights and landscaping aside, the true character of the Washington Ave Corrdior will most likely be dictated by what developments spring up on the empty/gutted lots still in existence as well as the quality of the retail outlets that replace the long since defunct parcels that once occupied those older structures, especially east of Montrose.

"Who thought the pioneering Social would last this long?"

Well, apparently it didn't. They had a closing party last Sunday... not sure if someone else will take over.

Roughly a year or so ago, the management from the old Outback pub took over. Management sucked at Outback, guess they couldn't hack it at the Social either.

I love the Social, I hope it does come back.... great location, vibe, outside area.

...And YAY WASHINGTON AVE! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Any update on some of the retail projects going in near Washington/Shepherd? I know Blue Label Lounge is going to be in the shopping center near Azuma. I presume Azuma is the sushi restaurant similar to the one on Kirby near the Rice Village? Should be a cool place. Cobain is a nice bar addition to the area, hopefully someone can restart The Social and get some more critical mass over there. Right now that critical mass is in midtown with Roof/Whiskey Creek/Epic/Esco/Red Door/Pub/etc. A couple more lounges on Washington and perhaps things could shift over there. I'd like to see it happen.

Any update on some of the retail projects going in near Washington/Shepherd?

Max's Wine Dive has opened at that corner in the strip center next to Wamu.

it's unfortunate that it's yet ANOTHER wine place. people need to be creative and open NEW types of businesses

eh yeah...

in their defense, though (?)

they have what i would term "nouveau greasy spoon" fare

(and with nouveau riche prices)

...and the longest domain name ever (www.friedchickenandchampagneaftermidnight.com) icon8.gif

here's the menu

needless to say, far from a "dive"

eh yeah...

in their defense, though (?)

they have what i would term "nouveau greasy spoon" fare

(and with nouveau riche prices)

...and the longest domain name ever (www.friedchickenandchampagneaftermidnight.com) icon8.gif

here's the menu

needless to say, far from a "dive"

hmmm $18 for fried chicken

burger for $18

mac and cheese for $15

hot dog for $14?

i'll be stopping by soon ;)

from the menu ii wonder if this is breakfast klub related?

Archived