Washington Avenue Information & Developments

mhh222

If you're talking about the one a few blocks down from Denny's, it's a brick company's store. They've been there for many years, but are finally building a brick structure for themselves.

(For those of you who do not know where this is ... if you were to exit Washington/Westcott off of I-10 and head north, the building is on your right before the road splits into Old Katy and Old Hempstead.)

Oh, no wonder it's all brick! It's a great looking building.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can anyone point me in the direction to find out crime stats of the area by that pawn shop off washington? I'm looking into a place that is located behind that pawn shop, i was wondering how the crime was in that area. Is it relatively quiet during the night time hours? Thanks for any help.

can anyone point me in the direction to find out crime stats of the area by that pawn shop off washington? I'm looking into a place that is located behind that pawn shop, i was wondering how the crime was in that area. Is it relatively quiet during the night time hours? Thanks for any help.

If the area is in Magnolia Grove (southeast of the pawn shop), you can go to the message board at www.magnoliagrove.org for the crime stats.

Rice Military (southwest of the pawn shop) has a website at www.ricemilitary.org, but I don't think they post the crime stats.

You can also check out www.houstontx.gov/police/cs/beatpages/cs2a50.htm

• 2 months later...

I noticed a post here about a $189,000 townhome on Bonner that most people said didnt look like a good buy. I was looking at those too when I came accross these. Whats your opinion on these townhomes and the price. I have been in the both. While the one for $185,000 suits my style it may not appreciate well. This one for $295,000 just seems expensive but is very well appointed and near twice the size with a great layout. I like the modern feel of these homes.

What do you think? MLS#6987487 and 8936843

$189,000 http://search.har.com/engine/indexdetail.c...mp;backButton=Y

$295,000 http://search.har.com/engine/indexdetail.c...s=2&sTYPE=0

I don't think townhomes appreciate well, especially in such a saturated market. However, this is just from reading articles here and there. There are people on here much more knowledgeable about the real estate market than I am...

I can say this article bodes well for any property owners in the area:

Washington Corridor Development

I agree that the location is great, but I think almost 300K is really too high.

Those are nice floorplans, but frankly, most of the stuff going up around there seems to have a similar style. Plus, lots of townhouses will be built in the surrounding area over the next few years, and with a ton of new ones to choose from, I doubt a used townhouse is going to appreciate a whole lot.

A similar style tucked into a lot in a built-out spot like Montrose, for instance, might appreciate much better.

Plus, for 300K one would expect a little more parking and a larger driveway!

The HHN homes in Plaza Center/Bonner Plaza or whatever back right up to the working railroad tracks on the reverse side of the property. Not to mention the metal shop that doesn't shut down until 9pm on the weekdays. Trust me, as soon as my husband and I walked in, we practically ran straight back out.

I think Washington corridor is too volatile to say whether or not something's "too high." Give it a year or two to let stuff settle. It's been mentioned in other threads about the road situation.. I would wait to see how Washington St. is going to pan out. Resurfacing? Better intersection lights? Timing?

As for the units on La Branch that Coog mentioned, all I have to say is beware Urban Living. (And not just the fact that they're tin cans.) Not only have we had so much trouble with their sales people, our realtor has had several horror stories of clients who wanted to buy from them.

I checked out the ones on Wichman the other day while checking out classic Jeeps.

It's so mad-max on that little road!

Here is the same place in a much better location. Not that Washington is bad, but that side street is sad.

http://www.har.com/9836843

My business will be on Washington so I want to be in that area.

I like the builders layouts. Really nice accents.

I don't think townhomes appreciate well, especially in such a saturated market. However, this is just from reading articles here and there. There are people on here much more knowledgeable about the real estate market than I am...

I can say this article bodes well for any property owners in the area:

Washington Corridor Development

Yea the article is good. I went to El Tiempo Cantina with my realtor. Good food not so good service. I talked to a lot of commercial property owners and they all say value has increased. Who knows about the townhomes.

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across these last night while out on an evening bike ride. Our first thought was that the asking price was way too high. These remind me of the Parra Design Group homes in Rice Military near the Huge HHN development. So I think the prices should be more in that range. $220,000 to $240,000. Granted, the backside does have a downtown view, but all that warehouse riff raff surrounding them, not to mention the nearby train tracks is a real downer. They are WAY overpriced. It will take quite a while for that section of Washington to get it's makeover.

Just came across these last night while out on an evening bike ride. Our first thought was that the asking price was way too high. These remind me of the Parra Design Group homes in Rice Military near the Huge HHN development. So I think the prices should be more in that range. $220,000 to $240,000. Granted, the backside does have a downtown view, but all that warehouse riff raff surrounding them, not to mention the nearby train tracks is a real downer. They are WAY overpriced. It will take quite a while for that section of Washington to get it's makeover.

Thanks but its REALLY rare if possible at all to find a 3/2.1/2 for under $250,000. This builder is my style and I just found a 2/2/2 from them at $250,000 in the Heights with no train. Do you know of any 3 bedroom TH's for under $250,000???

Thanks but its REALLY rare if possible at all to find a 3/2.1/2 for under $250,000. This builder is my style and I just found a 2/2/2 from them at $250,000 in the Heights with no train. Do you know of any 3 bedroom TH's for under $250,000???

A friend has a contract on a 3/2/2 in the Cottage Grove area for $220K. It's small, less than 1500 sqft, but it seems bigger. However, the builder is InTown/Lovett homes and there is a whole thread here about problems people have had with the builder.

www.upperwestend.com

This development had them a few months ago, but after checking their site, I guess they are all sold out on the 3 bedroom 2.5 bath versions. They were listing for $234,000.

I agree, the style of them is quite cool.

www.upperwestend.com

This development had them a few months ago, but after checking their site, I guess they are all sold out on the 3 bedroom 2.5 bath versions. They were listing for $234,000.

I agree, the style of them is quite cool.

I did take a look at Upper West End. I did like a couple of the designs. I wasnt too happy with where they were located when I drove around the area. It says between Memorial Park and Downtown but that map is deceiving? More like close to I-10 West?

Memorial Park Village II are building right now. They are priced 240K & up. I have a good friend that lives in Memorial Park Village I, and she's had a really good experience with the builders and everything.

I did take a look at Upper West End. I did like a couple of the designs. I wasnt too happy with where they were located when I drove around the area. It says between Memorial Park and Downtown but that map is deceiving? More like close to I-10 West?

The neighborhood can be difficult to move through with its incredibly narrow streets and abrupt ditch dropoffs on the side of the road. Quite rural.

Memorial Park Village II are building right now. They are priced 240K & up. I have a good friend that lives in Memorial Park Village I, and she's had a really good experience with the builders and everything.

Those are in the range but not my style. I love the modern contemporary look in and out. Not impressed by traditional brick and Hardi plank that Houston is famous for.

Is this the same Tremont who built the Tremont Tower?

Sort of. Tremont Homes, apparently, has many different faces. The "Juliet Homes" in Memorial Park Village I were really built by Tremont... My friend that bought a house there was scared when she found out Tremont was involved, but she had the house inspected twice (no problems found) and after talking to some other residents in the community, she decided to go for it. She hasn't regretted the decision - Juliet/Tremont have been excellent about fixing things immediately and listening to their residents (a bunch of residents signed a petition about some landscaping that had been torn up for parking, and in response, Juliet replanted the grass and re-did the landscaping - parking sucks there for guests, but they did listen to their residents!).

I am familiar with the Tremont Towers saga and I'm not sure that the exact same people are behind these houses. I could be wrong though.

The neighborhood can be difficult to move through with its incredibly narrow streets and abrupt ditch dropoffs on the side of the road. Quite rural.

i live on one of those narrow streets with open ditches and have 2 points to make..

1.we have come to love our narrow street since there is very little drive thru traffic...

2.the open ditches drain better than curbs and gutters do...

i live on one of those narrow streets with open ditches and have 2 points to make..

1.we have come to love our narrow street since there is very little drive thru traffic...

That is a shame that it takes narrow streets to accomplish that...my street sees little traffic and vehicles can pass one another with ease.

2.the open ditches drain better than curbs and gutters do...

What is super cool about these sorts of ditches is that they can accomplish the needed drainage even when not immediately on the edge of the street. Neat huh? And it doesn't look so rural when the ditches are set back a bit.

I just put down my earnest money on a 3/2.5/2 in Upper West End (Parra's group). The price was 245, up from 225 on the original floorplans which all sold out.

http://search.har.com/engine/indexdetail.c...mp;backButton=Y

Completion in May of 07. I love the area, I think its going to do well over the next 10 years, but like other's on this thread i am concered. The fence factory has been sold as far as I've heard, and is going to be developed. I'm a few blocks north of the tracks though.

Any thoughts from experts here? I have a long-term horizon, at least 7-10 years. I love the design and layout of Parra's stuff, and I think the plan is unique enough to hold its own on resale (he has pledged not to build any new TH's of this design so there will be 12 in total in Upper West End).

Am I being naive? Thanks in advance!

The ones in question on Bonner were the Industrial. They sold out phase one and are selling phase two They were 2/2/2, and kinda oddly placed. Much closer to Washingon though.

Jeff

I just put down my earnest money on a 3/2.5/2 in Upper West End (Parra's group). The price was 245, up from 225 on the original floorplans which all sold out.

http://search.har.com/engine/indexdetail.c...mp;backButton=Y

Completion in May of 07. I love the area, I think its going to do well over the next 10 years, but like other's on this thread i am concered. The fence factory has been sold as far as I've heard, and is going to be developed. I'm a few blocks north of the tracks though.

Any thoughts from experts here? I have a long-term horizon, at least 7-10 years. I love the design and layout of Parra's stuff, and I think the plan is unique enough to hold its own on resale (he has pledged not to build any new TH's of this design so there will be 12 in total in Upper West End).

Am I being naive? Thanks in advance!

The ones in question on Bonner were the Industrial. They sold out phase one and are selling phase two They were 2/2/2, and kinda oddly placed. Much closer to Washingon though.

Jeff

IMHO Camillo Parra's stuff is a cut above the rest of the pack design wise. I have no idea if his construction is any better or worse.

Archived