Washington Avenue Information & Developments

mhh222

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was a combination of city funds and private donations. Donations are still being accepted to fund additional beautification projects.

I was thinking that the Main/Studewood/Cavalcade intersection would be a good candidate for a roundabout.

I agree, but roundabouts tend to confuse non-Europeans. Thats a busy intersection too....not sure how well the people would adjust to it. Reminds me of a scene from European Vacation where Chevy Chase gets stuck on the inside and keeps going round...and round....and round....

We won't really get a feel for its metamorphosis until more of the planned residential/retail construction ends and the city redoes the street, including the sidewalks. Part of what makes Washington Avenue unattractive/uninviting for pedestrians at the moment is the amount of construction some people have to walk through as well as the fact that most of the sidewalks along Washington simply needs to be redone.

Not too far from the roundabout, on the south side of the street (across and down from a pizza place, i think) there is a building or two that sticks right out into the sidewalk. But other than that I think it would be alright to traverse on foot.

One would think that a bunch of NASCAR loving rednecks ought to be able to figure out how to drive in a left-handed circle.

heh. I didn't think they were letting rednecks onto Washington Ave anymore. Maybe we don't have critical mass on sushi and wine bars yet. Uncle Buddy's used car lot is still hanging on, though.

I'm still pondering the viability of a roundabout at Studewood, Main and Cavalcade. In many ways, it would make things simpler, but given the driving pedigree of the average Houstonian (and American, for that matter), I keep seeing a lot of 13 News reports down the line about a rash of freaky accidents there.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

heh. I didn't think they were letting rednecks onto Washington Ave anymore. Maybe we don't have critical mass on sushi and wine bars yet. Uncle Buddy's used car lot is still hanging on, though.

guadalajara is closing so that should discourage a few.

I'm still pondering the viability of a roundabout at Studewood, Main and Cavalcade. In many ways, it would make things simpler, but given the driving pedigree of the average Houstonian (and American, for that matter), I keep seeing a lot of 13 News reports down the line about a rash of freaky accidents there.

Main Street between 45 and 610 is the next Washington.

I would be willing to bet that the traffic count at the WOW roundabout is higher than the N. Main/Cavalcade/Studewood intersection. There certainly is not so much traffic as to cause a roundabout there to be unworkable. If Heights residents or the Association use the blueprint for the WOW roundabout, it could be done.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. This was my idea. I used to own one of these units, and sat on the board. Replacing the rotting staircases and the bad stucco was getting very expensive, as there was always more damage than we expected. As I was walking the property one day, I wondered if it was possible to redevelop the entire complex and how it might be accomplished. I sold my unit to a friend when I moved to the Heights, and he ended up on the board as well (no one wanted to sit on the board). I told him about my idea one day that since land values were going up, it might one day be advantageous to sell the entire property en masse.

We never thought it would happen, given the struggle just to get a quorum to conduct business, plus some of the stubborn neighbors (every complex has them). But, we both agreed that the idea of selling a large tract of prime Memorial Drive land was intriguing. This complex sits on some of the better topography inside the loop...gently rolling hills and great tree cover. If Caceres is successful, I could see them looking to expand the concept.

I'll check in with my buddy to see what scoop is available.

Red, You were right on about the topography of that property. Before I walked around the complex, I had no idea how it was tucked into the hill, esp the pool. Do you think the caceres owners bought this? It would've been a smart idea, but I think someone beat them to it....It seems ideal for residential condo highrise based on the views and location, but due to the upscale highrise apartments it only fair to think they may follow the trend.? Thoughts???

Red, You were right on about the topography of that property. Before I walked around the complex, I had no idea how it was tucked into the hill, esp the pool. Do you think the caceres owners bought this? It would've been a smart idea, but I think someone beat them to it....It seems ideal for residential condo highrise based on the views and location, but due to the upscale highrise apartments it only fair to think they may follow the trend.? Thoughts???

The article did not sound like the property has sold yet, merely that the owners agreed to market the entire complex. To make it worthwhile, the land would need to sell for close to $100 per square foot. That may be attractive enough a price for a highrise or even several midrises. It will be interesting to see what happens. Highrise sales have flattened out, so the market may be tough for that option right now.

EDIT: Just talked to my friend. The property was just listed a few weeks ago. I think they have a year to sell it. During that time, no one can sell an individual unit. There is some minimum price that must be offered for the board to be authorized to accept. I don't know what that price is.

Edited by RedScare

• 2 months later...

http://swamplot.com/boutique-hotels-coming...07-11/#comments

&

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto.../14/story2.html

anybody with an HBJ subscription care to give us the run down?

Lambert (of tha San Jose Hotel in Austin) was also quoted as being in the conceptual stage on another boutique hotel next to the Continental Club in midtown, right off the red line (part of the adjacent property that the CC purchased awhile back).... boutique hotels on washington and on the red line in midtown would be very big deals, imo.

Edited by swtsig
  • Like 1

As for the San Jose, the HBJ article states the following;

1) Will be a new build compared to a rehab like her Austin project

2) Will "go vertical" because of space limitations but no hint as to # of floors

3) Will be located on Lower Westheimer

4) Pretty much a done deal but not ready to announce

As for the Washington Ave boutique hotel

1) Some of the players involved have a tie to the Lancaster downtown

2) very early in planning stages so no real news

As for the San Jose, the HBJ article states the following;

1) Will be a new build compared to a rehab like her Austin project

2) Will "go vertical" because of space limitations but no hint as to # of floors

3) Will be located on Lower Westheimer

4) Pretty much a done deal but not ready to announce

As for the Washington Ave boutique hotel

1) Some of the players involved have a tie to the Lancaster downtown

2) very early in planning stages so no real news

I wonder where their Westheimer parcel is. There is a place on the north side of Westheimer between Dunlavy and Mandell that had piers put in for a condo builidng several years back that would be a great location. Or maybe they could put it between Mary's and Burger King.

I wonder where their Westheimer parcel is. There is a place on the north side of Westheimer between Dunlavy and Mandell that had piers put in for a condo builidng several years back that would be a great location. Or maybe they could put it between Mary's and Burger King.

http://www.bunkhousemgmt.com/

Click Projects, then 1634 Westheimer.

Is this what you were talking about?

http://www.mainstreet-builders.com/thewestheimer.htm

That is an excellent location. It's been vacant for so damn long! Mark's, Hugo's, Buffalo Exchange, EJ's, and more will be neighbors. As a one-time Cherryhurst resident, I would have loved to have had this close by to put up guests since I only had a 2 bedroom place.

• Like 1

Is this what you were talking about?

http://www.mainstreet-builders.com/thewestheimer.htm

That was the one that was supposed to go there years ago. I've been pining for someone to put something cool there. If they build there, I think they are golden. I read that they may have a restaurant, but most boutique hotels usually don't have much. The beauty of that kind of place in the neighborhood is that they don't need major bars and restaurants in the Hotel becasue you can leave your hotel and turn right half a block and eat at Mark's or Agora or Brazil, or you can go left half a block and eat at Hugo's or DaMarco. Or you can a few more blocks and go to dozens of other restaurants and bars. I hate to get to giddy, but to have a hotel in Montrose would be great. Easy access to the museums (easy walk to Menil), Montrose shops, West Gray, Regent Square, West Ave...It's about time someone did this. I think there is a market for an alternative to downtown, Galleria, and the Dallas cheese that is ZaZa.

I really, really hope this works.

Now that I think of it, there was a for sale sign there for the longest time, and it vanished several months ago...

Edited by capnmcbarnacle

That was the one that was supposed to go there years ago. I've been pining for someone to put something cool there. That is 1634 Westheimer on the Bunkhouse site. If they build there, I think they are golden. I read that they may have a restaurant, but most boutique hotels usually don't have much. The beauty of that kind of place in the neighborhood is that they don't need major bars and restaurants in the Hotel becasue you can leave your hotel and turn right half a block and eat at Mark's or Agora or Brazil, or you can go left half a block and eat at Hugo's or DaMarco. Or you can a few more blocks and go to dozens of other restaurants and bars. I hate to get to giddy, but to have a hotel in Montrose would be great. Easy access to the museums (easy walk to Menil), Montrose shops, West Gray, Regent Square, West Ave...It's about time someone did this. I think there is a market for an alternative to downtown, Galleria, and the Dallas cheese that is ZaZa.

I really, really hope this works.

I think you may have accidently skipped over the posts above.

The site map says it will have a restaurant.

I think you may have accidently skipped over the posts above.

The site map says it will have a restaurant.

I did see that, but I think regardless they are in a great spot. I've stayed at the San Jose in Austin and the great thing about it is that despite not having a restaurant and bar (or anything major anyway) it is situated in a place where you can just leave the hotel to go eat and drink without it being a hassle. They can attract guests that normally demand those amenities wihout having them in the hotel but very close by. I was thinking about Omni, Four Seasons, etc., and they always have a great restaurant designed to make people stay in the hotel and spend their money there. And unless you are staying in NY or San Fran, those hotels usually aren't amenable to just walking 5 minutes down the street to eat. The nice thing about putting a small hotel here is that they can get guests that normally expect a bar and restaurant in the hotel without really needing to have one in the lobby. There are plenty of options a block or two away. I'm all for a restaurant in the hotel, but the hotel has the luxury of having Paulies, Brasil, Marks, Hugos, etc., as the defacto restaurants for their guests.

I live close by and I am really psyched that my guests might have a place to stay in the neighborhood. My mom used to stay at the Warwick when she vistited and she wasn't really down with the ZaZa because the bar didn't have Drambuie. Maybe she can stay here and drink at Poison Girl.

Edited by capnmcbarnacle

It's been vacant for so damn long!

you can 99.9% blame these guys (<- some great reading material) for the project failing.

really was a shame. current owner was 75% presold, poured the piliars, ready to start hard construction, and then MM went *poof*. after 2+ years, finally found a new lender but all the presales backed out due to being spooked, which was understandable, and he could never recapture the velocity.

its a great site and a shame it took this long to develop.

you can 99.9% blame these guys (<- some great reading material) for the project failing.

really was a shame. current owner was 75% presold, poured the piliars, ready to start hard construction, and then MM went *poof*. after 2+ years, finally found a new lender but all the presales backed out due to being spooked, which was understandable, and he could never recapture the velocity.

its a great site and a shame it took this long to develop.

MM?

• 2 weeks later...
Another new restaurant/deli coming to 4500 Washington...

Raia's Italian Market

"Raia's Italian Market in Spring 2008.

Raia's Italian Market will bring the feel of a neighborhood grocery store and deli back to Washington Avenue.

Plan to enjoy our deli full of imported meats and cheeses, the old-fashion pizza oven, and a menu full of one family favorite after another.

If you would like to know if we will carry a specific good, feel free to email us with questions and suggestions. We look forward to meeting everyone and bringing the neighborhood grocery back to the neighborhood.

Email :

raia.italian.market@gmail.com

Address :

4500 Washington Ave

Ste. 200

Houston

TX "

Same shopping center as Blue Label Lounge (they're finishing up the patio), and Joy Yoga (open and doing well, I hear) and

James Craig furnishings looks like it should open soon.

Tried Raia's this weekend and -- to my great surprise (and perhaps chagrin) -- I really liked it.

My review is here at Houstonist, and another good review is here at Great Food Houston.

It's no Nundini's (but nothing ever will be), but I enjoyed the cozy atmosphere, the deli counter, the selection in the market and -- most importantly -- the food was actually quite good. :)