Target At 4323 San Felipe St.

There are vacant block in Midtown, Downtown, the Museum District, Montrose etc.

Airspace isn't really an issue yet.

Exactly. If we were more concerned about the empty lots and left the lots with amenities already on them alone, the city would be a much better looking place.

Knock out the targets and the Lowes and they just move further west and north. And guess who moves with them? THE PEOPLE. Leaving you precious land available for towers but no life.

Yes those parking lots take up a lot of space, but so do empty lots, which we have in abundance

• Like 1

Swtsig - I am not saying you or I would live there, but who knows? Look at the Heights Target. Those apts are slammed against its parking lot and the freeway, yet they seemed to be occupied. My real point was really it is a waste of space to have all the "roof" space on such extremely valuable land. Look at that DC Walmart with apts above. It makes sense to me, even though I can't imagine the teasing one would be subjected to for living there.

The land at San Felipe and Bancroft/Mid Lane is too valuable now for a one story box store. To me, Mid Lane is already unrecongizable from just 10 years ago.

• Like 1

Knock out the targets and the Lowes and they just move further west and north. And guess who moves with them? THE PEOPLE. Leaving you precious land available for towers but no life.

It's the other way around. The stores go where the people are; "retail follows rooftops". People choose home location for many reasons, top of list are proximity to jobs, affordability and schools. Availability of retail does come into play, but is not a driving factor.

• Like 1

huge difference between a speciality grocer and a giant retail store or supermarket. nothing says "home" like loading docks full of 18-wheelers delivering produce, consumer goods, etc. 24-7, nevermind the throngs of shoppers during business hours. of course it might work in other cities, cities with density levels where something like that may be warranted, but remove yourself from the personal aspect of convenience and think about the logisitics of living above a target.

with all the other choices in the immediate vicinity i'm hard pressed to imagine any of you would ultimately decide to live above a target when you can just as easily live right down the street.

• Like 1

the line between "specialty grocer" and "giant supermarket" is actually pretty blurry. There's a huge difference between a regular-size Target and a SuperTarget, and even someplace like Whole Foods has stores that vary widely in size.

As for Phoenicia, it is in fact a full service grocery store, albeit a small one.

I don't think anyone was saying that they'd want to love above *any* supermarket no matter what; people were just saying they were generally open to the idea. 

As for me personally? I would not want to live above a Super Wal-Mart, but I would happily live above a Phoenicia, a Whole Foods, an HEB, a Kroger, a Trader Joe's, a Spec's or, yes, a Target.

Edited by Texasota
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

So i didn't want to start a new topic for this- but the Target on San Felipe has begun remodeling the interior of the store to fit its new store design. For example: https://people.com/home/target-new-redesigned-stores-are-open-photos/

I presume an exterior face lift is also in the works. 

Sorry to poo poo on everyone's dream of Target being redeveloped into something else anytime soon. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 8:23 AM, LBC2HTX said:

So i didn't want to start a new topic for this- but the Target on San Felipe has begun remodeling the interior of the store to fit its new store design. For example: https://people.com/home/target-new-redesigned-stores-are-open-photos/

Sorry to poo poo on everyone's dream of Target being redeveloped into something else anytime soon. 

I couldn't be happier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love my Uptown Target! :) 

• Like 2

Just went shopping at that target a couple days ago, looks like they've completed several noticeable improvements inside.

They've removed the logo outside and have banners hanging on the exterior saying they are remodeling, so it looks like it will be a thorough renovation outside and inside.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 8:23 AM, LBC2HTX said:

I wonder if this will be a more pedestrian friendly model for the area. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Target At 4323 San Felipe St.
  • 1 year later...
16 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

This high profile Target has received 2 or 3 remodels in the past decade.  At one time, there was talks about a mixed-use development here to take advantage of all that surface parking spots.  Any news on this?

I think such "talk" was nothing more than HAIFers fantasizing/dreaming/imagining the future.

• Like 1