Retail Center At 1111-1201 Westheimer Rd.

hindesky

• 3 weeks later...

They are painting their entire portion of the building red and it definitely stands out! 

Looks to be midway through painting a huge logo on the parking lot facing side as well

can't wait to check it all out! 

• Like 3

whoooooOOOOooOOooHooOooooooo! so happy they kept and made use of the amazing facade and sign(s)! thanks @nate4l1f3 for the awesome photo!

the other side facing the parking lot looks amazing as well with painting the building red and the big Acme Oyster House logo...i will definitely be going opening weekend whenever that may be!

Edited by gene
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Acme Oyster House to open in Montrose April 10

Greg Morago April 7, 2021Updated: April 7, 2021, 11:28 am

Since it was announced last spring, fans of New Orleans’ Acme Oyster House have been waiting patiently for Houston’s own outpost of the famed restaurant specializing in seafood and distinctly Big Easy flavors.

The wait is over. Acme announced that Saturday, April 10 is opening day for one of the most anticipated restaurants of the new year. Acme is going into the former El Real Tex-Mex space (the iconic Tower Theatre) at 1201 Westheimer.

The 11 a.m. opening will usher in a new era of oyster appreciation in Houston. Acme is famous for its raw oysters and char-grilled bivalves topped with herb butter and cheese. The menu also features po’boys (fried oyster, fried shrimp, roast beef, hot sausage and a signature special made with roast beef debris, ham, turkey and cheese), jambalaya, etouffee, gumbo, red beans and rice, and fried seafood platters.

The restaurant will mark opening day with in-house giveaways as well as free merchandise on social media and gift cards.

“This is Texas, so we’ll be doing it up big for our grand opening,” said Mike Rodrigue, Acme owner and CEO. “We are proud to make the historic Tower Theatre our home. We look forward to serving Houstonians authentic Louisiana seafood and Creole cuisine favorites, just like we’ve done for decades in the French Quarter of New Orleans.”

Greg Morago writes about food for the Houston Chronicle. Follow him on Facebook or Twitter. Send him news tips at greg.morago@chron.com. Hear him on our BBQ State of Mind podcast to learn about Houston and Texas barbecue culture.

• Like 3

On 2/14/2021 at 8:41 PM, hindesky said:

zlZ8uKD.png

Interesting... so the "triangle" that protrudes out (that contains the movie list) wasn't constructed yet on opening day. Makes me wonder when and why they added it. Maybe it made it easier for people driving by to see the movie times.

• Like 2

on their instagram they have some really great photos of the inside and have been tagged in quite a few photos as well...

i am so happy they kept the stair case and upper level AND the big movie screen! 

it looks super cool and exactly what i was expecting if not even better 

@acmeoyster (they do not have a specific houston instagram (yet) but the latest posts are all houston related and watch their story as right now it's filled with houston greatness!)

Edited by gene

Stopped in for lunch today. Got there around 25 minutes before open and the line really only started to ramp up about 5-10 minutes before open.

Nice waitress said she drives down from Cleveland to work there. She said that they did $39k yesterday and that they haven't opened the upstairs seating area yet because they are still adjusting to the opening. She said her manager $39k is one of the best days any location has ever done in the history of the restaurant.

Food was good and came out fast. Probably one of the smoother restaurant openings I've ever seen for such a large place. 

Edit: They posted on their FB that they are closed today because they ran out of food. I'm guessing Sunday was popular as well 😄

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 5

Went Saturday at noon...downstairs and upstairs were both open when i arrived. we had about 1 hr wait so we ran over to Present Company for a bit. Waitress was super nice and fun! My buddy had the salmon and it was a HUGE double portion...we go out to eat often and he orders salmon everywhere and again, it was twice the size here. He loved it. I had the crab cakes which are wayyyyy more crab than breading so that was awesome! love the hushpuppies as well.

I wanted to get the bread pudding so bad it was about to kill me but seriously, the portions were so large that all that food was about to kill me too haha ;)

anyway...super cool place and highly recommended...it was indeed VERY busy so i will go back once it slows down just a bit! (and love the big screen being up...they were showing baseball when i was there)

Edited by gene
  • Like 3

Screen grabbed several pics from the Houston Chronicle.

First one shows Jack Roach in 1936 at the current "Adam & Eve", I believe Jack Roach was a car dealership. Does anyone know what that high rise in the background was?

RXpTJIJ.png

The Tower theatre in 1977. This is what I remember it being when I first moved to the Houston area, I recall seeing lines for "Rocky Picture Horror Show" here. Can't remember if it was shown here first or at the Alabama Theater. I do remember seeing it a couple times at Alabama Theatre though.

Z12PDBF.png

And "Decadance" night club between 1990 to 1995. I never went then as I was heavily into bicycle racing at the time and wasn't going clubbing at the time, just racing, training and sleeping.

jlF4qEL.png

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, hindesky said:

First one shows Jack Roach in 1936 at the current "Adam & Eve", I believe Jack Roach was a car dealership. Does anyone know what that high rise in the background was?

Are you talking about the structure to the left of the photo, behind the Jack Roach Ford sign? If so, I do not think that that is a separate building, but rather part of the roof of the same building. If you go to the current street view from Yoakum, you can see the same basic pedestal there. Not sure what was on top of that pedestal though, as the date of the photo clearly predates A/C or any other similar ventilation systems.  

1 minute ago, thedistrict84 said:

Are you talking about the structure to the left of the photo, behind the Jack Roach Ford sign? If so, I do not think that that is a separate building, but rather part of the roof of the same building. If you go to the current street view from Yoakum, you can see the same basic pedestal there. Not sure what was on top of that pedestal though, as the date of the photo clearly predates A/C or any other similar ventilation systems.  

No, I'm talking about that brick high rise in the background, seems like it might be where the current AT&T building is on Richmond and Graustark but it doesn't seem high enough for that to be it.

oiGRxlD.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hindesky said:

No, I'm talking about that brick high rise in the background, seems like it might be where the current AT&T building is on Richmond and Graustark but it doesn't seem high enough for that to be it.

I think we are talking about the same thing. It is way too narrow to be another building even a few blocks away. I believe it is some sort of mechanical system or ventilation apparatus for the building, I'm just not sure what. With the current iteration of the building, there are rooftop A/C units on the "pedestal" exactly where this structure appears to be. 

ETA: It could be a ventilation shaft, since vehicles were presumably moved around in at least part of the building. 

Edited by thedistrict84
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

I think we are talking about the same thing. It is way too narrow to be another building even a few blocks away. I believe it is some sort of mechanical system or ventilation apparatus for the building, I'm just not sure what. With the current iteration of the building, there are rooftop A/C units on the "pedestal" exactly where this structure appears to be. 

ETA: It could be a ventilation shaft, since vehicles were presumably moved around in at least part of the building. 

Yeah, you might be right. Looking at 2 different pics from different years it got smaller later but I don't think AC existed in 1936 but it might have been some kind of large squirrel cage type of air mover.

30 minutes ago, hindesky said:

Looking at 2 different pics from different years it got smaller later but I don't think AC existed in 1936 but it might have been some kind of large squirrel cage type of air mover.

I don't know whether the Tower Theater was built with air conditioning but it seems very possible that it was. From the KHOU-11 website:

"It wasn't until the 1920s that HOU got A/C as we know it. The first room: the cafeteria at the Rice Hotel, which got air conditioning in 1922. A year later, there was another milestone reached at Second National Bank.

“Most people today will know it as the newly renovated JW Marriott that opened recently,” says Scovil. “That was the first air-conditioned building in Houston.”

Movie theater, such as the Texan and Majestic, were quick to catch on too in 1926."

If theaters already had air conditioning ten years earlier, it seems unlikely that a "modern" 1936 theater would lack it.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

I don't know whether the Tower Theater was built with air conditioning but it seems very possible that it was. From the KHOU-11 website:

"It wasn't until the 1920s that HOU got A/C as we know it. The first room: the cafeteria at the Rice Hotel, which got air conditioning in 1922. A year later, there was another milestone reached at Second National Bank.

“Most people today will know it as the newly renovated JW Marriott that opened recently,” says Scovil. “That was the first air-conditioned building in Houston.”

Movie theater, such as the Texan and Majestic, were quick to catch on too in 1926."

If theaters already had air conditioning ten years earlier, it seems unlikely that a "modern" 1936 theater would lack it.

I had no idea that air conditioning dated back to the 1920s. I honestly thought it was introduced sometime in the 1940s or early 1950s. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

I had no idea that air conditioning dated back to the 1920s. I honestly thought it was introduced sometime in the 1940s or early 1950s. 

From the Wikipedia article on A/C

"Electricity made development of effective units possible. In 1901 American inventor Willis H. Carrier built what is considered the first modern electrical air conditioning unit"

All hail Willis Carrier!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ross said:

From the Wikipedia article on A/C

"Electricity made development of effective units possible. In 1901 American inventor Willis H. Carrier built what is considered the first modern electrical air conditioning unit"

All hail Willis Carrier!

I didn't realize Willis Carrier was a New Yorker. I could've sworn he was a Southerner, if not a Texan. 

Who was it that said (paraphrasing) "Texas wasn't truly civilized until air conditioning spread throughout the state"?

41 minutes ago, mkultra25 said:

I didn't realize Willis Carrier was a New Yorker. I could've sworn he was a Southerner, if not a Texan. 

Who was it that said (paraphrasing) "Texas wasn't truly civilized until air conditioning spread throughout the state"?

My grandmother...

• Haha 4

On 4/14/2021 at 5:32 PM, thedistrict84 said:

That's true for residential air conditioning. Some very wealthy people may have had it,but it wasn't until the 50's that residential units were mass produced and affordable for the working and middle classes.
I've read that in the 1930's people used to go to air conditioned movie theaters just to escape the heat (and regardless of what was on the screen).

• Like 3