Shell Energy Stadium

Subdude

A few quotes I recently found on the net...

Drayton McClane, the owner of the Astros, was shown on Channel 2 saying he was in favor of this location and that he was trying to get a parking structure built to replace those spots.

-----

"We want to keep them," he said. "We'd like them to be in a central location. And we've looked constructively at various different venues if this stadium doesn't work out." Mayor Bill White at the Dynamo game last night, who was with former President Bush. Quoted from Channel 13.

I think it's safe to say that negotiations are currently going on as we speak. Houston is the hands-down first choice for where the new stadium should be, with Pearland and Sugarland being fail-safe 2nd and 3rd options to insure that if it's not in Houston, they're still in the Houston-area.

Lastly, check this out:

http://www.khou.com/sports/dynamos/stories...m.2707360c.html

A recent Ch. 11 story on the downtown soccer stadium possibility. Sounds like it's gaining positive momentum.

Very good news in that report. Great to hear McClane is on board and is working for a parking structure to make it possible. (I noted the reporter said they were looking at a site north of MMP, but she clearly meant (and the video showed) the lots to the east of MMP)

DC United's new stadium will be 27,000. Also, Toronto's current stadium is at 20,000 seats, but there's already rumors of expanding it well over 30,000 because the games are already sold out.

thanks for the info, I have only followed the revolution, and they are in gillette and the fans look lost, and I know they are trying to get NY Redbulls, Revoultion and a few others into smaller parks, because of that.

thanks for the info, I have only followed the revolution, and they are in gillette and the fans look lost, and I know they are trying to get NY Redbulls, Revoultion and a few others into smaller parks, because of that.

The team least likely to get a new stadiumare the Revolution, but even they are currently negotiating with the city of Boston to build in or near city limits. If they get a deal done, that could mean that EVERY MLS team has a real soccer stadium to play in within the next five years..in other words, no more football lines on some of the fields, more of a soccer environment at stadiums, and each team is able to make a profit each season. Even Chivas USA are talking about building a stadium for themselves and moving out of LA Galaxy's Home Depot Center.

The team least likely to get a new stadiumare the Revolution, but even they are currently negotiating with the city of Boston to build in or near city limits. If they get a deal done, that could mean that EVERY MLS team has a real soccer stadium to play in within the next five years..in other words, no more football lines on some of the fields, more of a soccer environment at stadiums, and each team is able to make a profit each season. Even Chivas USA are talking about building a stadium for themselves and moving out of LA Galaxy's Home Depot Center.

That would be good to have 2 stadiums never LA, because the shared one in Carson is a little annoying I assume. Also for the revolution, they tried to build one on the East Providence waterfront in Rhode Island, but no colleges would sign on to help fill the stadium. The only options URI and Bryant. URI just built a new stadium, and Bryant is about 3 years away from DI eligiablity to move up, so they don't see a need in a stadium. Overall I would like to see the revolution hit another state either CT, NH, VT, ME or RI... just because everything is in Boston. I think the Krafts won't do it though. The Patriots almost moved to Providence before they built Gillette but he owns a BUNCH of land in foxboro that he won't be taxed on because of some deal. So I think they build their stadium on their land that they already own.

It would be nice to see all the MLS teams in soccer stadiums.

I think it would be great for DT and the East side of 59. When they say North of MMP they mean East right, on the other side 59. If they do build it on those lots about how big of a stadium would it be? I think this would be for the best seeing how it is a centralized location. I wonder if they would put a GRT stop seeing how it would run by the propossed stadium

• 4 weeks later...

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...&id=5275280

If this city has any brains they would do anything and everything to not only build a Stadium IN Houston... but also to build it Downtown or very close to Downtown. They were smart to build Minute Maid Park and the Toyota Center Downtown... Reliant stadium is ok where it is, at least it's along the rail. Houston has been trying to make it's inner core, particularly Downtown, more "urban" where people come to live, work, play, etc.... well here is a chance to bring another place to Downtown where people can play! The parking lots where they want to build the Stadium are leased to the Astros... and even they want the Soccer Stadium to be built there!! Don't let f'ing Sugarland get the soccer stadium. Let's not be like Dallas and have one of our major sports teams play OUTSIDE of our city! <_<

If this city has any brains they would do anything and everything to not only build a Stadium IN Houston... but also to build it Downtown or very close to Downtown. They were smart to build Minute Maid Park and the Toyota Center Downtown... Reliant stadium is ok where it is, at least it's along the rail. Houston has been trying to make it's inner core, particularly Downtown, more "urban" where people come to live, work, play, etc.... well here is a chance to bring another place to Downtown where people can play! The parking lots where they want to build the Stadium are leased to the Astros... and even they want the Soccer Stadium to be built there!! Don't let f'ing Sugarland get the soccer stadium. Let's not be like Dallas and have one of our major sports teams play OUTSIDE of our city! <_<

rumor is downtown is still in the running but funding is making it hard.

rumor is downtown is still in the running but funding is making it hard.

050707_dynamo.jpg

http://www.houstonist.com/archives/2...downtown_b.php

Here's a pic of the location Dynamo, Astros, and Houston are working to use as the new Dynamo location. It seems to be nothing but a great investment for all sides if they come up with a fair deal together.

I think Drayton would really like a season-ticket-holder garage for the 'Stros, since he would fare to profit more. Dynamo, obviously, the best soccer stadium location in the U.S., and a solid, visible fanbase that couldn't be ignored again. The City of Houston would have another major development to help spurt more developments in an area that DESPERATELY needs it.

Works a lot better on all sides than if they were to move to the land of Sugar.

Here's a pic of the location Dynamo, Astros, and Houston are working to use as the new Dynamo location. It seems to be nothing but a great investment for all sides if they come up with a fair deal together.

I think Drayton would really like a season-ticket-holder garage for the 'Stros, since he would fare to profit more. Dynamo, obviously, the best soccer stadium location in the U.S., and a solid, visible fanbase that couldn't be ignored again. The City of Houston would have another major development to help spurt more developments in an area that DESPERATELY needs it.

saw an article about this late last week. seems some are STILL trying to get it at gus wortham even though the city of houston has said no to that idea.

saw an article about this late last week. seems some are STILL trying to get it at gus wortham even though the city of houston has said no to that idea.

That's different. They're referring to youth soccer fields; not the Dynamo soccer stadium. Also, even if Gus Wortham were turned into soccer fields, I don't think it would be the Dynamo training site (I'm not sure, though)

I know that with the Sugarland proposal, it would be similar to Colorado's where they have soccer playing fields and the Rapids training facilities surrounding the stadium.

If I were Dynamo, I'd have the stadium in Downtown Houston, and have the practice fields/youth playing fields in Sugarland.

050707_dynamo.jpg

http://www.houstonist.com/archives/2...downtown_b.php

I would like a big hole facing west into Downtown so you could see the skyline. That would be great.

That's different. They're referring to youth soccer fields; not the Dynamo soccer stadium. Also, even if Gus Wortham were turned into soccer fields, I don't think it would be the Dynamo training site (I'm not sure, though)

no some are still talking stadium. evidently the district councilmember is getting irritated this keeps coming up.

Question? Who would pay for the stadium? I see no way that tax payers vote to do this or that the city would volunteer. Is AEG going at this alone with the idea that they will shift their concerts from Toyota to here to help fund this building?

Edited by shady 75

I would like a big hole facing west into Downtown so you could see the skyline. That would be great.

Here's a pic of the stadium in Toronto last week. It's also in close proximity to their downtown skyline. Looks really cool :)

PD4j9L8j.jpg

no some are still talking stadium. evidently the district councilmember is getting irritated this keeps coming up.

The Gus Wortham site was never considered as the new stadium location. The debate is about the possible conversion to 12-15 Dynamo practice fields/youth fields

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/eas...ws/4752003.html

Cooler still, would be if they built it like a mini Qwest Field in Seattle. I love that stadium because of the way the opening behind the northern endzone frames the Seattle skyline with that terrific scoreboad in the foreground. I also love the dramatic effect the extra steep stands give that stadium. I've never been there, but it looks so cool on television.

If a soccer stadium were to be built on that site east of MMP and perhaps angled a bit so an opening faced due west (not WNW so that it directly faced MMP), it would be at least as cool as Qwest. Not to mention - the best stadium in the MLS. Having 3 large stadiums and a 1 large convention center within walking distance of one another would be awsome. With the theatre district and HP so close, DT Houston would be the undeniable entertainment center of Texas.

The Gus Wortham site was never considered as the new stadium location. The debate is about the possible conversion to 12-15 Dynamo practice fields/youth fields

it was considered for the stadium location but has already been shot down due to lack of approval from the area. The article does clarify the point for me that it is now only being considered for practice fields. the email i recieved last week sure didn't make that clear. it only said stadium.

the toronto pics look like just about any high school stadium. i personally like the UH setup better.

Yeah, that would be pretty cool. I have never been to Minute Maid. Can you see downtown buildings from inside and where you would normally be seated?

Okay. One of the great stadium designs is Camden Yards in Baltimore, MD. You have a lovely view of the downtown.

we went for a work function and had seats in the owner's suite. I remember we got to meet Tom Clancy. it was very nice not to have to pay for anything. walking back to the cars wasn't so lovely.

Edited by musicman

Okay. One of the great stadium designs is Camden Yards in Baltimore, MD. You have a lovely view of the downtown.

I really liked it too. Ate at McCormick & Schmick's just down the street then walked to the ballpark a few blocks away. Couldn't have it any better! Stadium had that old time nostalgic feel to it. Too bad we dont have a nice harbor like that next to Minute Maid. We have a brown murky bayou to brag about though. :wacko:

Edited by Vertigo58

Yeah, that would be pretty cool. I have never been to Minute Maid. Can you see downtown buildings from inside and where you would normally be seated?

with the roof open, the view is pretty good from the mezzannine section. of course that only happens at the beginning and end/playoffs of the season.

here's a shot with the roof closed:

11666.jpg

I really liked it too. Ate at McCormick & Schmick's just down the street then walked to the ballpark a few blocks away. Couldn't have it any better! Stadium had that old time nostalgic feel to it. Too bad we dont have a nice harbor like that next to Minute Maid. We have a brown murky bayou to brag about though. :wacko:

I really miss Baltimore at times. Even with all it's problems, it had some great things about it.

I suspect that all you would get at that location is a fabulous view of US 59 towering over the west end of the stadium.

I suspect that all you would get at that location is a fabulous view of US 59 towering over the west end of the stadium.

Yeah, because that freeway "towers" in the air, what, maybe 30-40 feet? Roughly equivalent to a 3 story building, at most? Gosh, no one will be able to see any 40-50-60-70 story buildings lurking behind that towering freeway. Sheesh.

You mean this setup? The one with the great view of the downtown skyline? [/blatant Coog plug]

66978579.DpZJxDbQ.IMG_6996.jpg

Its still funny to think we saw Black Sabbath (Ozzy) on stage right here! Rock n Roll Marathon lasted all day into evening. Robertson Stadium also had The Eagels-Hotel California tour, Alice Cooper, and most bizarre ever Pink Floyd - Animals tour. Most outrageous crowd ever. Flash backs! :wacko::lol: