Shell Energy Stadium

Subdude

Read and heard some great news the last couple days. I heard that Pearland last minute effort to get the Dynamo is over. So the two cities left were DT and Sugarland. JUST READ that Sugarland is out of the running. I also listened to two seperate interviews with Oliver Luck and Bill White and it sound like Drayton Mclane is working hard with Anschutz Entertainment Group, who own the Dynamo, in building the stadium on the season-ticket lots just east of MMP. A parking garage(s) will be built on empty lots around MMP for the season ticket holders and other venue goers. Also Bill White was asked about the new stadium a he mentioned, jokingly, they are in the 6th inning of discussion. Which may have been a clue that stadium is close to an agreement around the baseball stadium. Also Glenn Davis who has a weekly soccer show, last broad-cast was done from?.... The empty lots east of MMP. This may have been another clue. One last thing, Olive Luck who runs the Dynamo has worked with German soccer teams before and the rumor is the new design of the satdium will follow an authentic German soccer stadium design (which is a very good thing). I would look for an offical announcement with-in the next few days.

German stadiums of the 20-30,000 capacity are generally single bank of stands around each side of the field. Most generally include terraces with standing room and seating and generally the terrace areas can be converted to seating. German stadiums also almost always have a roof covering the stands but not the field.

Examples

bayarena_nachts_450.jpg

ruhrstadion1kl.jpg

Read and heard some great news the last couple days. I heard that Pearland last minute effort to get the Dynamo is over. So the two cities left were DT and Sugarland. JUST READ that Sugarland is out of the running. I also listened to two seperate interviews with Oliver Luck and Bill White and it sound like Drayton Mclane is working hard with Anschutz Entertainment Group, who own the Dynamo, in building the stadium on the season-ticket lots just east of MMP. A parking garage(s) will be built on empty lots around MMP for the season ticket holders and other venue goers. Also Bill White was asked about the new stadium a he mentioned, jokingly, they are in the 6th inning of discussion. Which may have been a clue that stadium is close to an agreement around the baseball stadium. Also Glenn Davis who has a weekly soccer show, last broad-cast was done from?.... The empty lots east of MMP. This may have been another clue. One last thing, Olive Luck who runs the Dynamo has worked with German soccer teams before and the rumor is the new design of the satdium will follow an authentic German soccer stadium design (which is a very good thing). I would look for an offical announcement with-in the next few days.

This would be awesome. It sounds like one of the last major hurdles is the Rockets amending their non-compete clause with the city. I'm sure Les doesn't want shows with attendence of 5000-20,000 going away from Toyota Center and to a new soccer stadium. I'm also happy to hear that Drayton is stepping in to help spur development in the area. He could take the stance of Les and say he doesn't want the competition, especially since some home dates will undoubtedly overlap between the Dynamo and Astros.

He could take the stance of Les and say he doesn't want the competition, especially since some home dates will undoubtedly overlap between the Dynamo and Astros.

Yeah, I was really surprised at the support that McClain was giving. ...how I wish I could be party to the closed-door meetings!

10 minutes ago on the Glenn Davis's radio show, Oliver Luck said "The letter of intent will be sighned tomorrow with the City of Houston". Also DT is the location that the team is trying to get a stadium built. July is an estimated time for an announcement of exactly where the stadium will be and renderings. The stadium will be finished for the 2009 season... I'm sure updates will be announced.

10 minutes ago on the Glenn Davis's radio show, Oliver Luck said "The letter of intent will be signed tomorrow with the City of Houston". Also DT is the location that the team is trying to get a stadium built. July is an estimated time for an announcement of exactly where the stadium will be and renderings. The stadium will be finished for the 2009 season... I'm sure updates will be announced.

Well that's good news, I'd like to know exactly where, but I guess we're going to be close as to where.

I guess this is likely the last we'll hear anything until later this summer. Any leaks from those meetings will likely get the poster fired. But I'm waiting anxiously, though.

Part of me wants the german design in the above image, but I also want something that would be able to show off the skyline.

From the Chronicle:

May 15, 2007, 12:36AM

Let's make a (stadium) deal

Dynamo, city will start talks on building facility close to downtown

By BERNARDO FALLAS

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

The move comes as the City of Sugar Land withdrew a proposal for a soccer venue after determining it would not have enough time to examine and gain public input on the project to deliver the venue by 2009.

The Dynamo are in the second year of a three-year lease with the University of Houston to play at Robertson Stadium. The lease expires at the end of the 2008 season, and AEG

don't know why Texas Southern doesn't get in on this and come up with some type of design concept so they can get a stadium out of this also....

Probably the same reason that the Dynamo want to get out of Robertson Stadium...too many conflicts with other events. The Dynamo want complete control over the facility.

How is TSU's on-campus football stadium working out? I remember when I was at UH, TSU played their home games at Robertson.

The Dynamo average about 16k at Robertson. Max of about 25k. (A 70k doubleheader game at Reliant skews the "official" numbers a bit).

The games are usually Saturday or Sunday evenings/nights. Some games on weeknights (which have caused problems with UH), and an occasional weekend day game.

The Dynamo average about 16k at Robertson. Max of about 25k. (A 70k doubleheader game at Reliant skews the "official" numbers a bit).

The games are usually Saturday or Sunday evenings/nights. Some games on weeknights (which have caused problems with UH), and an occasional weekend day game.

Was that 70k game this year or last year?

I believe the one you are referring to was held at was a series of games that were hosted at the Reliant.

Don't think it was related to the world cup, but it was between several teams that were heated rivalries.

Dynamo Schedule/attendance 07

There are 15 home games for MLS, and this year we have 5 home games for other tournaments we qualified for (which will hopefully be the case every year). games are usually saturday/sunday evenings, and sometimes wednesday or thursday.

And if we build something nice enough, we'll probably have a US Men's or Women's National team friendly and other potential matches.

If i remember correctly, for this season the Dynamo and Astros had 5 potential conflicts (looked into it a while back when the rumors of building near MMP first arose), but those could easily be worked out.

Was that 70k game this year or last year?

it was August '06 (end of last season). it was a double header, Dynamo vs LA Galaxy (part of the MLS regular season), and Club America vs FC Barcelona (club teams from Mexico and Spain playing a friendly). the latter drew the 70k crowd, though most were there for both matches.

That would be awesome if they build the new Dynamo stadium on those surface parking lots on the east side of 59. What I really like about that idea, is that you already have all of those lofts and apartments surrounding those parking lots. So once the stadium is built you will have a vibe somewhat like Wrigley Field, where there's a stadium in the middle of an urban neighborhood. Hopefully it could spur some more development near MMP which is an area I feel hasn't come close to it's full potential.

Let's assume it happens.

How does this affect East Downtown and the Near East End.

You would begin encroaching upon 150-175 sports dates in that area per year (MLS, MLB, NBA, high school football, college basketball, college baseball). Youve got a convention center and hotel. A new park. Concerts that go with the 3 sports venues.

Is it enough for entrepeneurs in the city to look at that area and say...this is the perfect area for a restaurant or casual/sports bar. Seems like this area of town would be perfect for a casual entertainment and dining district to develop.

That would be awesome if they build the new Dynamo stadium on those surface parking lots on the east side of 59. What I really like about that idea, is that you already have all of those lofts and apartments surrounding those parking lots. So once the stadium is built you will have a vibe somewhat like Wrigley Field, where there's a stadium in the middle of an urban neighborhood. Hopefully it could spur some more development near MMP which is an area I feel hasn't come close to it's full potential.

Unless you're a sports fan, is it desirable to live that close to a stadium(s)? If you're not at the game, it seems like the noise, crowd and traffic would be a nuissance.

So it seems as if heat is not a problem for the fans. And Robertson has zero shade, correct?

correct, 0 shade at Robertson. for the evening games, the seats on the west side of the stadium are completely shaded though. we didn't have a choice here though, shade would be nice. though a downtown view would probably be better.

there was a drop out in attendance last year in the peak of the summer.

according to wikipedia "During July and August, the Dynamo played five matches at Robertson Stadium, and the average attendance for those matches was a meager 10,348. The sweltering summer heat in Houston likely played a role in this trend, as did some significant electrical storms on game days."

Unless you're a sports fan, is it desirable to live that close to a stadium(s)? If you're not at the game, it seems like the noise, crowd and traffic would be a nuissance.

a venue will bring other aspects as well (restaurants, bars). and if you live downtown sports fan or not, i think you should be prepared to deal with noise and crowds.

Shade would help, but a better approach would be air movement. Evening games do not have a problem with direct sunlight, but the humidity rises as the temperature goes down. Moving the air is critical to feeling more comfortable. Clearly, the Dynamo know what happens to attendance during July and August, so I would expect some attempt at making the stadium more comfortable during those months. I am looking forward to seeing the approach they take with the heat/humidity issue. Surely, there are some engineers out there who can manipulate the surroundings to a tolerable level, other than merely installing a giant chiller and a roof.