21-Story Mixed-Use High-Rise At 514 Elgin St.

ricco67

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I walked by what we think might be this site today. In piecing together ownership of the parcels, an entity called “Midtown Assemblage, Ltd.” acquired the lots on the east side of Smith to the south of the Whole Foods back in May 2015. However, the lots to the west, including that on which St. Dane’s is located, are owned by other entities. The Munoz Albin site lists this at 28 stories, so it might just take up the eastern half of the block south of the Pearl Whole Foods. 

So, St. Dane’s might survive.

18 hours ago, houstontexasjack said:

I walked by what we think might be this site today. In piecing together ownership of the parcels, an entity called “Midtown Assemblage, Ltd.” acquired the lots on the east side of Smith to the south of the Whole Foods back in May 2015. However, the lots to the west, including that on which St. Dane’s is located, are owned by other entities. The Munoz Albin site lists this at 28 stories, so it might just take up the eastern half of the block south of the Pearl Whole Foods. 

So, St. Dane’s might survive.

So this would be the part of the block southwest of the intersection of Smith and Elgin, where the small “strip” center that includes Maple Leaf Pub is located?

Losing Maple Leaf and letting St. Dane’s escape unscathed would be very . . . unfortunate. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Only thread I could find on Saint Danes, but there’s a makeshift green barricade around the property, several no trespassing signs are posted and after a quick search on google maps the business is labeled permanently closed.  

i remember rumors of this property and the maple leaf building not long ago. 

12 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Only thread I could find on Saint Danes, but there’s a makeshift green barricade around the property, several no trespassing signs are posted and after a quick search on google maps the business is labeled permanently closed.  

Woah really? I used to get trashed there lol

12 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

I noticed that the Maple Leaf had a sign in its window advertising that it was available to rent for special events, but have no idea if that's any reflection on its day-to-day operations.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2019 at 11:39 PM, nate4l1f3 said:

I heard a rumor about a new vertical multi-family development on this block a while back (either here or on Swamplot (RIP)), but thought that had been canceled.

Maybe Saint Dane’s closed down because it was awful, and the landlord is just renovating the building for a new tenant.

On 11/24/2019 at 11:39 PM, nate4l1f3 said:

There's a "Notice of Variance Request" sign on the Elgin St. side of Maple Leaf.
Being on the bus, I couldn't read it in its entirety, but think it mentioned something about reduction of setback. 
Could this be for something as simple as providing al fresco dining, or does it portend something bigger?

1 hour ago, dbigtex56 said:

There's a "Notice of Variance Request" sign on the Elgin St. side of Maple Leaf.
Being on the bus, I couldn't read it in its entirety, but think it mentioned something about reduction of setback. 
Could this be for something as simple as providing al fresco dining, or does it portend something bigger?

I think this blocks days are numbered for sure. There’s no way 2 bars survive on this section of Midtown. I think a nice highrise would be a great gateway in to the neighborhood. 

9 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

Perhaps this topic ( The Courtlandt ) should be revived?

HCAD shows the Maple Leaf and St. Dane's properties as being owned by separate entities, but perhaps one bought the other out and they are moving forward?

I would be really excited if the Courtlandt project was to be revived:

20151118-EAST-ELEVATION.jpg

So if showed the people who commented on the first page of this thread the pics of midtown in 2021, I would wonder if they would think its a different city.

I only say that because omgwtf is this "This building will contain retail/commercial on floors 1 and 2. Floors 2-7 will primarily consist of parking garage with an attractive screening element on the perimeter. Floors 8-12 will consist of office space. Floors 13 and above will be dedicated to residential use."

1 and 2 is retail? So either an entity that is big enough to take up 2 stories, or a bunch of stuff (either is a win). AND office space? Office space across from Whole foods is quite genius. 

Here is a site plan for further clarification. Interesting to see Mayfield and Ragni Studio (MARS) as the "Design Architect" since they mostly do interior work. I'm assuming that is still the case, but I guess they did the exterior as well? The Architect of Record looks to be The Preston Partnership.

Then there is the super large retail space. I would imagine something boutique retail will go here, but would be great if something like an H&M or an establish clothing retailer would go here. This is also an amazing mixed-use project. Definitely this, and Montrose Collective are "grade A" when it comes to mixed-use examples and templates for future implementation.

Site Plan:

LdTt4Eb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived