University Debates: Sports, Fundings, And Developments

VicMan

Let's not rewrite history here.  Houston was historically the second largest university in Texas and was actually a private school until the state had to bail them out and put them in the State University system in the 1960's.  There is no long history of the state unfairly failing to fund a fledgling university or whatever.

Nor is there really some kind of "Houston is too young" type thing happening here.  Houston was churning out a much larger pool of alumni in the 50's 60's and 70's than say Texas A&M was until the end of the 70s, just as an example.

Edited by JJxvi
  • Like 3

I did have an option with both UT and TAMU and  selected the University of Houston...TWICE

I was referring to the majority of students.

You went to UH k cool but give a sample size of 100 students the same options I guarantee you a large portion will choose A&M or UT. 

Of course this also depends in the field you would like to study.

In my case, I was also offered to attend all 3 schools as well as LSU, Rice, TTU and A&M-Galveston..... I chose A&M because of the recognition and resources the school has (Aggie Network) like UT. 

That becomes even more evident when I moved to Michigan and travel across the US, people recognize Texas A&M. If you mention UH, people do not have a clue what college you are speaking of outside of Texas. Bringing a UT or even an A&M research campus to Houston will put Houston on the map with more options other than just UH.

Edited by enriquewx91
  • Like 1

I was referring to the majority of students.

You went to UH k cool but give a sample size of 100 students the same options I guarantee you a large portion will choose A&M or UT. 

Of course this also depends in the field you would like to study.

In my case, I was also offered to attend all 3 schools as well as LSU, Rice, TTU and A&M-Galveston..... I chose A&M because of the recognition and resources the school has (Aggie Network) like UT. 

That becomes even more evident when I moved to Michigan and travel across the US, people recognize Texas A&M. If you mention UH, people do not have a clue what college you are speaking of outside of Texas. Bringing a UT or even an A&M research campus to Houston will put Houston on the map with more options other than just UH.

So you went to Texas-A&M- Galveston and you think it is Texas A&M....seriously?

Oh, and people around the country know about the University of Houston. Most of the country remembers our legendary basketball teams and their 5 Final Fours and the Phi Slama Jama team  was a national phenomenon.

So much so that they are currently putting together a 30 for 30 on the University of Houston- Phi Slama Jama.

I live in Houston and I never hear about the Texas A&M- Galveston campus.....never.

Edited by shasta

bad part of town? Commuter school?

image_20902.jpg

Commuter school? Actually, Only Texas A&M has more on-campus beds than the University of Houston. We are second in the state in on-campus beds right now.

I attended UH in the late 90s/early 2000s and lived on campus. That is what I meant by UH's growth cycle....a 100 year old campus, by that time, transitions from a commuter school to a full fledged residential campus. By 2027, we should be NUMBER ONE in the entire state of Texas in on-campus residents. That's quite an accomplishment considering our humble beginnings.

On Third Ward, if you haven't been paying attention, look who owns most of the third ward and the proposals for re-development. UH probably owns most of the neighboring land and they are waiting for their opportunity to support developments that compliment the University of Houston. It is coming..have a little patience but yeah....a City Centre type development next to UH , with direct mass transit access downtown will not only raise the perception of UH but it will solidify the area as one of he most vibrant urban campuses in the United States. It's coming folks....the wheels are in motion.

Cities develop in layers and UH's proximity to downtown Houston, over time, will be a HUGE asset especially when the city finally fills in with quality development. It is only a matter of time.

• Like 1

Oh, and people around the country know about the University of Houston. Most of the country remembers our legendary basketball teams and their 5 Final Fours and the Phi Slama Jama team  was a national phenomenon.

So much so that they are currently putting together a 30 for 30 on the University of Houston- Phi Slama Jama.

I live in Houston and I never hear about the Texas A&M- Galveston campus.....never.

lol.. he clearly said he went to A&M.. not A&M Galveston.

Commuter school? Actually, Only Texas A&M has more on-campus beds than the University of Houston. We are second in the state in on-campus beds right now.

I attended UH in the late 90s/early 2000s and lived on campus. That is what I meant by UH's growth cycle....a 100 year old campus, by that time, transitions from a commuter school to a full fledged residential campus. By 2027, we should be NUMBER ONE in the entire state of Texas in on-campus residents. That's quite an accomplishment considering our humble beginnings.

On Third Ward, if you haven't been paying attention, look who owns most of the third ward and the proposals for re-development. UH probably owns most of the neighboring land and they are waiting for their opportunity to support developments that compliment the University of Houston. It is coming..have a little patience but yeah....a City Centre type development next to UH , with direct mass transit access downtown will not only raise the perception of UH but it will solidify the area as one of he most vibrant urban campuses in the United States. It's coming folks....the wheels are in motion.

Cities develop in layers and UH's proximity to downtown Houston, over time, will be a HUGE asset especially when the city finally fills in with quality development. It is only a matter of time.

Where did you find the information in your first part? UH's website says only 6,000 students live "on-campus".

And a CityCentre in the 3rd ward? Right...

I went to A&M Galveston. It may be a different experience, but is a branch of Main Campus. Degree says Texas A&M... not A&M Galveston. Ring is the same, same traditions honored. Attended Bonfires, still attend Aggie Musters, etc... TAMUG is apart on Big A&M. Not another A&M school like Corpus Christi or Prarie View, for example.

Ok. This is where Main Campus Aggies usually start getting all excited (we're use to it). But Enrique's and my Rings and Degrees are just the same as theirs. Our Education met the same standards and accreditation. It's a great school and I loved every day spent there. Just had to speak up.

Where did you find the information in your first part? UH's website says only 6,000 students live "on-campus".

And a CityCentre in the 3rd ward? Right...

"The improvements come with an increase in the number of students living on campus. Two new residence halls are opening this week, bringing UH’s residential capacity to 8,000 beds—the second highest capacity among Texas universities. The new facilities include Cougar Place, which will accommodate up to 800 students for the first time this semester, and Cougar Village II, which will house 1,100 first-year students." 

http://www.uh.edu/news-events/stories/2013/august/08212013CampusImprovements.php

I went to A&M Galveston. It may be a different experience, but is a branch of Main Campus. Degree says Texas A&M... not A&M Galveston. Ring is the same, same traditions honored. Attended Bonfires, still attend Aggie Musters, etc... TAMUG is apart on Big A&M. Not another A&M school like Corpus Christi or Prarie View, for example.

Ok. This is where Main Campus Aggies usually start getting all excited (we're use to it). But Enrique's and my Rings and Degrees are just the same as theirs. Our Education met the same standards and accreditation. It's a great school and I loved every day spent there. Just had to speak up.

Hey, at least Galveston is closer to the CS campus than the other branch campus in Qatar.

Even with the bevy of on-campus options, UH still gets a "commuter" rap because the area around campus doesn't offer much in the way of student residential options that parents would consider safe given the crime rate in the adjacent areas. It makes it feel less like a community once you step past the edge of campus. With A&M, probably 95% of students live within 10 or 15 minutes of the campus. With UT, there are a host of housing options for students just off campus, particularly on its western edge. For UH, I wouldn't be surprised if fewer than 50% of students are within a 15 minute driving radius of the university, mainly because a lot of students are from Houston and would rather save the money on housing and instead live with their parents. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing.

To be true, the university will undoubtedly see expansion of on-campus and campus-adjacent living options in the near future, especially if the adjoining area can be redeveloped. Redevelopment of Scott Street is a must. Same with the areas along Holman, Alabama, and Elgin up through at least the Rail Trail. Additionally, almost the entire area between 45, Scott, Cullen, and Elgin would need some sort of redevelopment. If some of these planned off campus projects can get started, like the one on the corner of Elgin and Scott, it will be cool to see, and it could spur a clean-up of the areas immediately surrounding the university. If something can develop along Scott that can be likened to Northgate in College Station or the Drag in Austin, it would be most beneficial in creating a college vibe that could benefit both UH and TSU.

Edited by The Pragmatist
  • Like 2

I was ignoring this entire thread because oh boy this is the hottest thread I've ever seen on Haif. Like for real, how do we get to the point where we're arguing over semantics about some inane point over how it's fair or not fair for UT to think about buying land while the real Houston public school is cast aside.

Sorry fam I'm just really upset that the Life of Pablo didn't drop tonight like Ye aaid it would and I decided to take out on this horrible thread.

• Like 4

I was ignoring this entire thread because oh boy this is the hottest thread I've ever seen on Haif. Like for real, how do we get to the point where we're arguing over semantics about some inane point over how it's fair or not fair for UT to think about buying land while the real Houston public school is cast aside.

Sorry fam I'm just really upset that the Life of Pablo didn't drop tonight like Ye aaid it would and I decided to take out on this horrible thread.

https://soundcloud.com/kanyewest/30-hours

^^^ hey socks.. don't fret.  go ahead and listen to the aforementioned "30-hours" via kanye on the "life of pablo" cd.

talk about JAMMIN / SMOKIN HOT...

• Like 1

Where did you get I went to A&M-Galveston from? Clearly said I went to A&M but anywho... I'm speaking about an educational and research stand point.

If we were talking about how good UH sports used to be then I can give countless examples of college sports teams that were once relevant (not dissing UH football they're legit).

People don't recognize UH in education and research facilities outside of the state of Texas, even then I remember meeting people who didn't know a UH existed like I didn't know a University of Dallas existed.

Where did you get I went to A&M-Galveston from? Clearly said I went to A&M but anywho... I'm speaking about an educational and research stand point.

If we were talking about how good UH sports used to be then I can give countless examples of college sports teams that were once relevant (not dissing UH football they're legit).

People don't recognize UH in education and research facilities outside of the state of Texas, even then I remember meeting people who didn't know a UH existed like I didn't know a University of Dallas existed.

There's a University of  Dallas?

Handouts?

The PUF was specifically created to fund the University of Texas and Texas A&M. Period. Thats what it was created to do not some ambiguous "fund all university public eductaion in Texas" or whatever Cougars and Red Raiders and whoever else that wants a "handout" now believes

It was actually probably created specifically to fund Texas only, but A&M got its piece basically because it dates to a murky time when it wasn't clear that the A&M College was going to be a separate entity from the University of Texas.

When was it created again? What was the population of Texas then verses now? Where does most of the population reside now verses then? How much PUF money actually goes into the two largest metros population and economic wise? 

This whole present day system resembles a good ole boy system compared to the rest of the nation. 

UT could have created one of the best biotech and healthcare universities by partnering up with the TMC on it's innovation campus and consolidating it's UT-HSC on that land just SE of the TMC core. I doubt there would be much resistance to that sort of proposal.

I usually don't think about the DFW metro too much, but they also are getting shafted here. I believe Kinkaid said, and I agree, why doesn't the UT system focus on improving the myriad of established satellites campuses throughout the state? 

Edited by kdog08
  • Like 2

I actually don't have a problem with UT building a campus in Houston, its a good thing for the city and competition for UH. I do have a problem with the current system of higher education funding in the state of Texas; so backwards.

Houston needs more higher education, as does the state of Texas, so why can't we build upon what we have already invested in? 

There's a University of  Dallas?

Yes. It's in Irving. Seriously. It's a small religious school. 

I lived in the Hub for 14 years. People knew of UH there. In fact, most assumed it was a highly respected private college because many city schools are (BU, NYU, Miami, Chicago, Hartford, Providence, etc...)

Sorry, but someone not knowing about The University of Houston says more about them than it does whatever point you are trying to jab home. There's a whole lot of stupid in Michigan these days.

why doesn't the UT system focus on improving the myriad of established satellites campuses throughout the state? 

So y'all would rather the money get invested into universities elsewhere instead of being poured into the Houston metro?  Thats the most bass ackwards thing I've heard in a while... Lulz.

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

So y'all would rather the money get invested into universities elsewhere instead of being poured into the Houston metro?  Thats the most bass ackwards thing I've heard in a while... Lulz.

LULZ....

You forget about the UT health science center houston?

More LULZ...

Did you just gloss over my previous comment, the one above the one you replied to?

Try and keep up before you get all bass ackwards.... 

Haven't we invested in UH cloud713? 

The PUF system is outdated and reeks of cronyism. Where was UT's large interest in Houston over the last 25 years when we added ~2.5 million to our metro? We shouldn't be in this balkanized higher education system.

I'm a Tx State alumni for the record. 

Edited by kdog08
  • Like 1

LULZ....

You forget about the UT health science center houston?

More LULZ...

Did you just gloss over my previous comment, the one above the one you replied to?

Try and keep up before you get all bass ackwards.... 

Are you suggesting the UT Health Science Center is some mediocre satellite campus thats in need of money to improve? LULZ..

I read your comment. Theres not much to say to it.. UH has nothing to do with the PUF. And I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that most of the other public schools around the country dont have some huge fund derived from oil found on university land to support its higher education.. So I'm not sure how our state lags behind the rest of the country.. If anything the PUF is a huge advantage.

Not sure what I'm supposed to be "trying to keep up" with. Ive been following this thread from the beginning.

Haven't we invested in UH cloud713? 

The PUF system is outdated and reeks of cronyism. Where was UT's large interest in Houston over the last 25 years when we added ~2.5 million to our metro? We shouldn't be in this balkanized higher education system.

I'm a Tx State alumni for the record. 

Maybe its getting late, but I dont get your point with the first sentence. Of course we've invested in UH.. my point was, instead of investing PUF funds into a new UT development in Houston, y'all want to give it to some of the more mediocre UT satellite campuses across the state. Its like when Abbot denied federal funding from the government to expand Medicaid in Texas.. The money was there, specifically for Medicaid expansion, but he chose to send it to the other states..

Where were UH's millions of acres out in west Texas with loads of oil underground? As for UT not having a "large interest" in Houston, I guess you dont consider UT Health Science, or UTMB to be a "large" interest. Theres also M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. You may have heard of it? Im still having a hard time understanding how this is "balkanized".. If oil was found on UH's land, would you expect UT to get any of the profits? The state has its own means of funding public universities through the higher education assistance fund.

I attended Baylor, so i dont have any vested interests in this debate either..

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 4

Are you suggesting the UT Health Science Center is some mediocre satellite campus thats in need of money to improve? LULZ..

I read your comment. Theres not much to say to it.. UH has nothing to do with the PUF. And I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that most of the other public schools around the country dont have some huge fund derived from oil found on university land to support its higher education.. So I'm not sure how our state lags behind the rest of the country.. If anything the PUF is a huge advantage.

Not sure what I'm supposed to be "trying to keep up" with. Ive been following this thread from the beginning.

Maybe its getting late, but I dont get your point with the first sentence. Of course we've invested in UH.. my point was, instead of investing PUF funds into a new UT development in Houston, y'all want to give it to some of the more mediocre UT satellite campuses across the state. Its like when Abbot denied federal funding from the government to expand Medicaid in Texas.. The money was there, specifically for Medicaid expansion, but he chose to send it to the other states..

Where were UH's millions of acres out in west Texas with loads of oil underground? As for UT not having a "large interest" in Houston, I guess you dont consider UT Health Science, or UTMB to be a "large" interest. Theres also M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. You may have heard of it? Im still having a hard time understanding how this is "balkanized".. If oil was found on UH's land, would you expect UT to get any of the profits? The state has its own means of funding public universities through the higher education assistance fund.

Edited by KinkaidAlum

I'll chime in slightly off topic. Since the PUF is an oil based fund how it is doing right now when there is no profit in oil. How will this affect UT's operating budget?

The PUF gets royalties as a percentage of revenue. Profit or loss doesn't matter. The effect of lower prices is a reduction in revenue. The only way revenue goes to zero is if the wells no longer produce.

The PUF gets royalties as a percentage of revenue. Profit or loss doesn't matter. The effect of lower prices is a reduction in revenue. The only way revenue goes to zero is if the wells no longer produce.

Along with this, there's the Permanent University Fund which is composed of hard assets, along with the Available University Fund, which is where the liquid assets are located. UT and A&M each have access to a portion of the AUF for the annual budget, while the PUF remains in a sort of trust.

First of all, the PUF was created in 1876 and the mineral rights on "UT's land" was established in 1901. Frankly, I don't much care about the context and history surrounding the PUF as it is outdated. Compared to California's system it is a joke and I don't think most of the country would mistake Texas's higher education for that of Mass/NE or the Research Triangle given our population size. 

The PUF doesn't allow flexibility and we have essentially this two tiered system with PUF being a much larger fund than HEAF. If you think this type of system is good for Texas than I don't know what to tell you if you want to base funding that was set a hundred years ago. It should have been decided to either adopt a California based system or to disperse the funds, but that sort of long term planning makes Texas legislatures allergic/upsets the good ole boys entrenched in UT and TAMU. 

You're the one is claiming UTHSC is mediocre, not me. As I said..... There is already land in the TMC set aside for an "innovation campus" and UT already has a presence in the TMC.... With as you pointed out is UTHSC and UT MD Anderson. Why not consolidate what UT already has onto the land within TMC's boundaries and work with the TMC to create a fantastic biotech/health care university? 

If UT is dead set on buying the land (as it clearly is) then why didn't it actually have a plan put forth? It just reeks of shadiness. I think it's dumb what UT did, but I would be much more supportive if they came out and said what they are doing. It makes perfect sense for UT to expand into Houston, especially with a focus on biotech, but the implementation has been p*ss poor. As I said, how much has Houston/Texas grown in the last 25 years? 15 years? The timing and implementation raises eyebrows. 

So... LULZ. 

tumblr_n74kmm4z6i1sulifvo1_250.gif

^^^ brilliant cloud713.... simply brilliant!

Do the Mods seriously allow this poster to troll like this? There has been zero input from this individual, just a bunch of cowardly, snarky images. 

Edited by kdog08