University Debates: Sports, Fundings, And Developments

VicMan

On 9/26/2019 at 1:00 PM, shasta said:

Nope..UT didn't make my final cut, despite pressure from UT family members and YES..I had the grades to get in.

You'd be surprised how many have turned down a scholarship/acceptance at UT-Austin to attend the University of Houston...there are more than you think.

For me, UH's accredited Architecture program within a top 5 US city,  with their picky sub 10% acceptance rate, turned out to be the best choice! 

UT understands that Houston is the most prolific educational market in the state and that the University of Houston is sitting in the cat birds seat, long term. 

They have advantages the other Texas cities just don't have. 

Give it a little time and Houston will have the BEST private school (Rice) and the BEST public school (UH) in the State of Texas........ just give it time. 

And for those paying attention, 46,000 students this fall  is a new enrollment record and they are building enough dorms to someday claim the title of the most dorms on campus in any school in Texas. Imagine a campus with 60,000 students, with 20,000+ living on campus and served by a redeveloped Third Ward creating a College Campus environment inside the  soon to be 3rd most populous city in the United States.  

Quite the shift!

lol, right?

I wonder who decides to go to the UT hospitality program over UH?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, htownproud said:

Nothing like opening a thread to see a pissing match between local schools (again).

You know its bad when a mod jumps into it too.

17 hours ago, Triton said:

I got accepted into UT but went to UH instead too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, Triton said:

I got accepted into UT but went to UH instead too.

I was accepted into UT also, but decided to go to Baylor instead.  Baylor offered more money and prettier coeds.  My kids have (so far) all decided to go to UH.  They thought about UT, but decided life and food were far better in Houston.  Plus the aforementioned architecture school.

Edited by august948
  • Like 4

Since we are talking about architecture schools I did a quick google search. Let me guess, everyone got into Rice as well? 

https://www.archdaily.com/901435/the-best-architecture-schools-in-the-us-2019

image.png.52fadeab8b623f73c97e0d36d92ed788.png

https://www.architecturalrecord.com/articles/13611-top-architecture-schools-of-2019

image.thumb.png.e7ced3952229eed3c642f809aedc09c2.png

Edited by urbanize713
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AREJAY said:

You know its bad when a mod jumps into it too.

No, I have nothing bad to say about UT... Just found it interesting that there was another HAIFer that made the same choice. Not tossing my hat either way.

Look, I actually hoped UT would have built their research campus here in Houston because I think it would have helped create new industry right here in Houston in the long term, but I see UH freaked out because they likely felt more and more money would flow to UT in Houston rather than UH. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I went out of state for undergrad but chose UH over UT, Boston U, and NYU for grad school. Was rejected by Chicago and wait-listed by Columbia. I mostly chose UH because I missed home after 4 years in Upstate NY and a friend that was in the program at UT (she was rejected by UH) warned me that her field placement was in Dallas because Austin was limited compared to Houston with opportunities. 

• Like 4

When this first broke I told you it would never happen. A few said I was delusional, that UT was boss and what it wants, it gets. Well, how did that work out? And even now, you continue to miss the point. There was NO objection to UT having a "research facility" but when renderings were leaked disclosing athletic facilities and diverse campus facilities, the true motive for the site was obvious. What was objected to was UT intending degree programs already offered by another public university. That constituted a waste of taxpayer funds and the motive therefor could only be to dilute the strength of the other public university. So if you are going to complain, be relevant. 

• Like 2

On 9/28/2019 at 2:43 PM, mkultra25 said:

Pro: prettier coeds

Con: they're Baptists

Sorry, couldn't resist.

pro: one of your classes gets to be 'spirituality' where the only requirement is to show up.

con: you will fail if you don't show up.

I didn't do that, but imagine explaining that one to your parents.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to General University/College Discussion

It's starting to look like something besides a post apocalyptic ruin, finally.

This reminds me of what they did to the Zachry building on the Texas A&M campus. Complete gut job to just concrete shell, then they put some steel expansions up, and then finished the exterior leaving something totally unrecognizable. At least this project saves some of the historic facade.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, zaphod said:

It's starting to look like something besides a post apocalyptic ruin, finally.

This reminds me of what they did to the Zachry building on the Texas A&M campus. Complete gut job to just concrete shell, then they put some steel expansions up, and then finished the exterior leaving something totally unrecognizable. At least this project saves some of the historic facade.

As someone who takes classes in the Zachry building, I'm really glad the only remaining part of the old facade is a slab of the old wall that was incorporated into a piece of artwork and hung in the first floor. 😅

• Like 3

On 4/11/2020 at 11:46 AM, texan said:

As someone who takes classes in the Zachry building, I'm really glad the only remaining part of the old facade is a slab of the old wall that was incorporated into a piece of artwork and hung in the first floor. 😅

And, as a former student at A&M, I can still think of a huge percentage of ancient buildings that need to be either leveled or made into mini-museums.  Plus, heaven forbid, we should replace Kyle Field with something akin to the 21st century LOL !   Forgot to mention HOWDY !

And, the attacks by my other former Aggie classmates should begin in 3...2...1....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Ross said:

Didn't they have a project to enlarge it by 5 or 600 seats a while back?

I think they switched out the trough urinals and added 48 seats in obstructed view sections. Only cost $450 million, or thereabouts. What a bargain!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, ArtNsf said:

And, as a former student at A&M, I can still think of a huge percentage of ancient buildings that need to be either leveled or made into mini-museums.  Plus, heaven forbid, we should replace Kyle Field with something akin to the 21st century LOL !   Forgot to mention HOWDY !

And, the attacks by my other former Aggie classmates should begin in 3...2...1....

kyle-2.jpg

^^^ ..... 3... 2... 1... @ArtNsf psst... hey you, my good pal.  what on earth are you espousing about?  everyone here knows that i am an organically grown, pure TEXAS ORANGEBLOOD.  yet, here i am... being the very first to state... that without a doubt, the new an improved KYLE FIELD is a site to behold.  your newly renovated/expanded stadium is beautiful and quite opulent.  not to mention at times (when they are winning) quite dynamic as well.  the reason for the astronomical price tag of ($485mm) is because the had to re-do the ENTIRE STADIUM from start to finish.  whereby, at TEXAS, we have always updated and expanded DKR (in phases) every few years or so as needed.  

gallery_large.jpg

ETfNpsrX0AEKrhg?format=jpg&name=4096x409

^^^ currently under construction... TEXAS DKR/MONCRIEF NEUHAUS SEZ expansion/renovation project.  even under the DIRE EXTREMES of COVID-19, the work must go on.  this phenomenal project, once completed... shall make DKR the most technologically advanced NCAA football stadium in the nation.  the current price tag of this DESIGN/BUILD project is ($200mm+).  once completed, DKR shall once again reign as the stadium with the largest digital video board in the entire world.  MONCRIEF NEUHAUS (current home to TEXAS football operations/locker room/weight rooms/etc) has been gutted to the beams.  once the renovation is completed, this center shall once again reign as the most state-of-art football operations center in the nation... interior and exterior.  no-one else in the nation, shall harbor the exclusive condominium like SKY TOWERS bookending our exclusive video board like we shall have at DKR.  the expansion/renovation project of the DKR SEZ, is due to be completed (AUGUST 2021).  

• Like 4

16 hours ago, gmac said:

When was the last time you were in Kyle Field?

Just a few years ago.  Nope not impressed with a University as large as ours. Not at all.  But, I suppose, it is the people that make the stadium actually feel large and loud.  To that end, I guess I'll just have to live with it, without expressing any desire otherwise.

9 hours ago, monarch said:

kyle-2.jpg

^^^ ..... 3... 2... 1... @ArtNsf psst... hey you, my good pal.  what on earth are you espousing about?  everyone here knows that i am an organically grown, pure TEXAS ORANGEBLOOD.  yet, here i am... being the very first to state... that without a doubt, the new an improved KYLE FIELD is a site to behold.  your newly renovated/expanded stadium is beautiful and quite opulent.  not to mention at times (when they are winning) quite dynamic as well.  the reason for the astronomical price tag of ($485mm) is because the had to re-do the ENTIRE STADIUM from start to finish.  whereby, at TEXAS, we have always updated and expanded DKR (in phases) every few years or so as needed.  

gallery_large.jpg

^^^ currently under construction... TEXAS DKR/MONCRIEF NEUHAUS SEZ expansion/renovation project.  even under the DIRE EXTREMES of COVID-19, the work must go on.  this phenomenal project, once completed... shall make DKR the most technologically advanced NCAA football stadium in the nation.  the current price tag of this DESIGN/BUILD project is ($200mm+).  once completed, DKR shall once again reign as the stadium with the largest digital video board in the entire world.  MONCRIEF NEUHAUS (current home to TEXAS football operations/locker room/weight rooms/etc) has been gutted to the beams.  once the renovation is completed, this center shall once again reign as the most state-of-art football operations center in the nation... interior and exterior.  no-one else in the nation, shall harbor the exclusive condominium like SKY TOWERS bookending our exclusive video board like we shall have at DKR.  the expansion/renovation project of the DKR SEZ, is due to be completed (AUGUST 2021).  

sorry, but not being a close pal, I can say that I still remain unimpressed with the DESIGN and to a lesser extent maybe the size of BOTH stadiums.  But, we here in Texas do love to cling onto things from the past with so many sacred cows.  That's what I get for dreaming LOL !

• Like 2

9 hours ago, monarch said:

kyle-2.jpg

gallery_large.jpg

Yes, I have to say that THIS design is impressive to little old Aggie me.  I have always enjoyed more open air and spread out stadiums overall.  The "intimidation" factor of Kyle Field is due, IMHO only to the deep valley structural design and limitation that our university imposed many decades ago in building it.  Yes, it served a wonderful purpose at first, but you know a little bit of out of the box thinking does help, even in the sports power structure of Aggieland.  So much else of the university is so technologically advanced, why not bleed a little over into the realm of Aggie sports and stadium thinking ?  Oh that's right.  We chose to put tradition, no matter what it looks like to those that come to visit and those that attend, over evolving forward long ago, within the world of our sports teams.  Darn, there's that sacred cow thing again rearing it's ugly head.

• Like 3

On 9/27/2019 at 7:44 PM, arbpro said:

When this first broke I told you it would never happen. A few said I was delusional, that UT was boss and what it wants, it gets. Well, how did that work out? And even now, you continue to miss the point. There was NO objection to UT having a "research facility" but when renderings were leaked disclosing athletic facilities and diverse campus facilities, the true motive for the site was obvious. What was objected to was UT intending degree programs already offered by another public university. That constituted a waste of taxpayer funds and the motive therefor could only be to dilute the strength of the other public university. So if you are going to complain, be relevant. 

This parochialism is why Houston continues to self-sabotage. Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia all do fine with several major research universities nearby.

Both stadiums are incredible and the size of them truly remarkable. Pretty hard to justify any negative remarks about either stadium unless you don’t know about college football. Sorry but Texas has great stadiums! AT&T, NRG, DKR, and Kyle Field. 

• Like 7