University Debates: Sports, Fundings, And Developments

VicMan

9 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

How is Texas A&M getting away with investing hundreds of millions of dollars in our city without provoking Cougar-town to man the ramparts? 

Maroon's closer to red than burnt orange is, so it kinda sailed under the radar.

I laugh as UH has basically blanketed the city with satellite campuses way out in the suburbs now offering programs that were the backbones of some schools

But they feared UT knowing that would zap 20% of their students overnight - especially the ones who always wanted to go there but has the stay back at home so they went to UH just because.

5 hours ago, hbcu said:

But they feared UT knowing that would zap 20% of their students overnight - especially the ones who always wanted to go there but has the stay back at home so they went to UH just because.

Did you has the stay back at home (WTF?) when your friends were out and that’s why you were home posting dumb jabs on HAIF at 2 am while crying in your room or what? Go GF.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 6:29 PM, Fortune said:

Every time this thread pops up, which happens a few times every week, I hope it is an announcement that UT has decided to move forward with the research campus . . .The disappointment.

thank UH for that but then they've managed to squeeze out other schools in the area with multiple suburban campuses ironically but fought to kill UT as they knew that was going to hurt

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Ross said:

20120909_kdl_al2_351.0.jpg

fb_bubble_800.jpg

43cce4d2d405e6c405ef338ec492e91a.jpg

^^^ @Ross to answer your specific query... why certainly.  the design and implementation of the TEXANS INDOOR BUBBLE PRACTICE FACILITY, was hereby created as a cost saving "temporary" facility.  (and one can only assume the same for RICE)  the TEXANS organization was brand spanking new, and just did not harbor the overall construction budget to create/construct a state-of-the-art hard structure with so many question marks surrounding their newly created football program... as well as land acquisition to build upon.  do you recall just how expensive the then RELIANT STADIUM was back then?  there were many many houstonians that were constantly bitching about related construction cost, and were scared to death that the city/county were contemplating utilizing TAX PAYER DOLLARS.  it was a HUGE mess, but at least we finally got the stadium constructed.  this was one of the key reasons the HOUSTON SPORTS AUTHORITY was created... to basically assuage the public tax dollar concerns.  trust me, the TEXANS have been dreaming and designing their new sports complex, with a state-of-the-art hard structure practice facility... for which will probably be constructed around their new land acquisition around the POST OAK district.  however, the overall problems with the TEXANS, is that this organization moves at a snails pace, and they take forever to move forward with their related projects.  the UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS is the richest collegiate football program in the world.  yet, back in the day... they constructed the FRANK DENIUS INDOOR PRACTICE BUBBLE.  this indoor air infused facility... has become an outright EYESORE upon the campus... and is just not conducive to the overall training needs of the TEXAS LONGHORNS of today.  therefore, within a couple of more seasons, we should be seeing the new designs of their brand new state-of-the -art indoor hard structure practice/training football facility... complete with an EIGHT/TEN LANE RUNNING TRACK.  this has been a long time coming, and we cannot wait to view their forthcoming renderings/concepts.      

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/27/2020 at 3:54 PM, monarch said:

20120909_kdl_al2_351.0.jpg

fb_bubble_800.jpg

43cce4d2d405e6c405ef338ec492e91a.jpg

^^^ @Ross to answer your specific query... why certainly.  the design and implementation of the TEXANS INDOOR BUBBLE PRACTICE FACILITY, was hereby created as a cost saving "temporary" facility.  (and one can only assume the same for RICE)  the TEXANS organization was brand spanking new, and just did not harbor the overall construction budget to create/construct a state-of-the-art hard structure with so many question marks surrounding their newly created football program... as well as land acquisition to build upon.  do you recall just how expensive the then RELIANT STADIUM was back then?  there were many many houstonians that were constantly bitching about related construction cost, and were scared to death that the city/county were contemplating utilizing TAX PAYER DOLLARS.  it was a HUGE mess, but at least we finally got the stadium constructed.  this was one of the key reasons the HOUSTON SPORTS AUTHORITY was created... to basically assuage the public tax dollar concerns.  trust me, the TEXANS have been dreaming and designing their new sports complex, with a state-of-the-art hard structure practice facility... for which will probably be constructed around their new land acquisition around the POST OAK district.  however, the overall problems with the TEXANS, is that this organization moves at a snails pace, and they take forever to move forward with their related projects.  the UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS is the richest collegiate football program in the world.  yet, back in the day... they constructed the FRANK DENIUS INDOOR PRACTICE BUBBLE.  this indoor air infused facility... has become an outright EYESORE upon the campus... and is just not conducive to the overall training needs of the TEXAS LONGHORNS of today.  therefore, within a couple of more seasons, we should be seeing the new designs of their brand new state-of-the -art indoor hard structure practice/training football facility... complete with an EIGHT/TEN LANE RUNNING TRACK.  this has been a long time coming, and we cannot wait to view their forthcoming renderings/concepts.      

Good job demonstrating Ross's point.  I guess they are temporary in the sense that all buildings are temporary.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Good job demonstrating Ross's point.  I guess they are temporary in the sense that all buildings are temporary.

^^^ @Houston19514 "ross's point" was to insinuate through nuances that the texans "temporary" structure is actually permanent.  i know that it takes you a while.  however, eventually, you'll get it.  nice try though...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmac said:

I have heard nary a word about any Texas University indoor football practice facility with an eight-lane track. I'll believe it when I see it. They don't have the land for that.

del_conte_chris_j1704.jpg

^^^ where on earth have you been for the last couple of seasons under new athletics director CHRIS DEL CONTE?  please allow for me to openly suggest that you do as i do, fly in to austin, tx around the beginning of next february 2021... attend the next CHRIS DEL CONTE TEXAS ATHLETICS TOWN HALL MEETING at LBJ AUDITORIUM... listen and gaze forward as he indicates any and all relating to what is being constructed and what is now planned and on the next agenda... toward the very end of the session, please ask questions regarding forthcoming football facilities... THANK ME LATER!   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, monarch said:

^^^ @Houston19514 "ross's point" was to insinuate through nuances that the texans "temporary" structure is actually permanent.  i know that it takes you a while.  however, eventually, you'll get it.  nice try though...

I get what Ross's point was,  And you kindly demonstrated its accuracy.  Both being about 18 years old, whether they were so intended or not, the Texans' and Longhorns' practice facilities are not looking very "temporary". 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I get what Ross's point was,  And you kindly demonstrated its accuracy.  Both being about 18 years old, whether they were so intended or not, the Texans' and Longhorns' practice facilities are not looking very "temporary". 

^^^ dude, woman, dude, woman... whatever.  as i so eloquently stated beforehand "i know that it takes you a while".  however, i have full faith that eventually you shall succeed in getting it.  oh, and don't forget... please wear a mask.  HOOK'EM!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, monarch said:

^^^ dude, woman, dude, woman... whatever.  as i so eloquently stated beforehand "i know that it takes you a while".  however, i have full faith that eventually you shall succeed in getting it.  oh, and don't forget... please wear a mask.  HOOK'EM!

It's all a matter of how you define temporary. In your world, that's apparently anything less than a geologic epoch. In my world, an 18 year old inflatable building is not temporary. It may have a shorter overall life than a hard structure, but it's permanent. Temporary implies a very short time frame, like a couple of years, and I haven't heard anything from Rice to indicate their bubble is going away soon.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ross said:

It's all a matter of how you define temporary. In your world, that's apparently anything less than a geologic epoch. In my world, an 18 year old inflatable building is not temporary. It may have a shorter overall life than a hard structure, but it's permanent. Temporary implies a very short time frame, like a couple of years, and I haven't heard anything from Rice to indicate their bubble is going away soon.

tem·po·rar·y
/ˈtempəˌrerē/

adjective

1. lasting for only a limited period of time; not permanent.
    "a temporary job"

^^^ in my world... your world... or the whole wide world per se: IT'S STILL "TEMPORARY" UNTILL IT BECOMES PERMANENT!  i don't give a damn how many years it's been up and serviceable.   now, WHY ON EARTH, would you hear anything from RICE indicating that their respective "BUBBLE" is going away soon, when they have not even completed constructing the damn thing?  jesus christ dude, please put on a mask already!

2 hours ago, monarch said:

tem·po·rar·y
/ˈtempəˌrerē/

adjective

1. lasting for only a limited period of time; not permanent.
    "a temporary job"

^^^ in my world... your world... or the whole wide world per se: IT'S STILL "TEMPORARY" UNTILL IT BECOMES PERMANENT!  i don't give a damn how many years it's been up and serviceable.   now, WHY ON EARTH, would you hear anything from RICE indicating that their respective "BUBBLE" is going away soon, when they have not even completed constructing the damn thing?  jesus christ dude, please put on a mask already!

So, Sid Rich was a temporary building for just short of 50 years. By that definition without any context, every building in Houston is temporary. I don't need a mask, since I am at home. I guess the Hoosier Dome was a temporary building, since it was inflatable and only lasted 24 years or so. Should we also include the Metrodome, Silverdome, and Carrier Dome? Wait, the Carrier Dome is still around, after 40 years, but it's probably still temporary too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ross said:

So, Sid Rich was a temporary building for just short of 50 years. By that definition without any context, every building in Houston is temporary. I don't need a mask, since I am at home. I guess the Hoosier Dome was a temporary building, since it was inflatable and only lasted 24 years or so. Should we also include the Metrodome, Silverdome, and Carrier Dome? Wait, the Carrier Dome is still around, after 40 years, but it's probably still temporary too.

^^^ well, apparently, they are all only as "temporary" as your mindset!  which is obviously quite "temporary".  trying in earnest to acquire the LAST WORD on me dude... is not going to help you.  didn't i tell you to put on a god damn mask?  hurry up and put it on...

16 hours ago, Ross said:

So, Sid Rich was a temporary building for just short of 50 years. 

It used to be said that Old Wiess was originally intended to be temporary housing which wound up lasting for over 50 years, but I've since come to understand that this was almost certainly an urban legend that gained traction by virtue of frequent repetition. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Texasota said:

Dude, why do you talk to people like that? The definition of "temporary" is not important enough to excuse how bizarrely rude you are.

^^^ dude/woman, mind you business and place your mask on...

What an unhelpful non sequitur. People are dying because of the selfishness and shortsightedness of those who refuse to wear masks, and you're using it as a cheap way to be obnoxious on an architecture forum. Maybe rethink your priorities. 

• Like 3

• The title was changed to University Debates: Sports, Fundings, And Developments
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

Ancient goal post found in the woods. Looked on Google Earth, believe it is 30 years old.

WHtwI7T.jpg

So that evil UT has been secretly trying to establish a full-fledged university in our town for 30 years.  (We all know the only institutions that have athletic fields are four-year degree-granting universities...).

;-)

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

So that evil UT has been secretly trying to establish a full-fledged university in our town for 30 years.  (We all know the only institutions that have athletic fields are four-year degree-granting universities...).

;-)

If I squint, I can almost make out Bevo grazing near those goal posts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1