Sovereign At The Ballpark: Multifamily At 100 Crawford St.

LBC2HTX

• 4 weeks later...

There from a lack of interest in finishing this project. No-one on the job and no security. The city should come up with a way to fine  these kinds of projects or not let them get any more permits for other jobs in the city. They already had to take out the rotten sheetrock. Now they're going to have to replace all of the windows. Does anyone know if the contractor or developer went out of business. This is pathetic. And since were in the neighborhood why haven't we heard anything from the Astros organization about their development. That would really help generate a buzz in this quadrant of downtown.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2023 at 3:25 PM, bobruss said:

There from a lack of interest in finishing this project. No-one on the job and no security. The city should come up with a way to fine  these kinds of projects or not let them get any more permits for other jobs in the city. They already had to take out the rotten sheetrock. Now they're going to have to replace all of the windows. Does anyone know if the contractor or developer went out of business. This is pathetic. And since were in the neighborhood why haven't we heard anything from the Astros organization about their development. That would really help generate a buzz in this quadrant of downtown.

I have absolute confidence that a protected bike lane on Commerce (connecting to the Harrisburg trail to the east and the also-part-of-this-fantasy Washington Bikeway to the west) would solve all of the problems in this part of downtown.

I'm sure of it. 🕶️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just rode by this today and it left me puzzled. All of the weird/slow process aside, does anyone know why the heck they decided to build apartments in that specific location? I'm all about trying to make Downtown Houston more walkable and vibrant, so I'll gladly take new developments where we can get them, but this seems like such an odd location to me.

It's located between two (essentially) highway on/off-ramps and is in a sea of parking lots. Also it doesn't even really take advantage of the bayou right there, since it's about 3 blocks too far east. I guess if I lived there, I'd be at Frost Town and Irma's every day, but otherwise there just isn't anything there.

Does anyone know of the thought process behind this?

• Like 1

The trail along the bayou will eventually be extended and run a block away from it, and it's only a couple of blocks from the Austin St bikeway already. Plus with all the discussion of a potential entertainment/mixed use district around Minute Maid as well as potential improved connectivity from the 45 project, seems to be trending towards more development on that side of town, which I agree is nothing special at the moment. Probably not the worst bet to make on the future of downtown, all things considered.

• Like 5

I guess all that is true, but I'm just a little skeptical of this portion of downtown improving in the next decade. The Astros entertainment district isn't currently expected to expand north of Minute Maid and I haven't heard about them extending the bayou trail beyond the Jose Campos Torres plaza. Also, I don't think the i45 Cap Park is going to extend this far north.

Again, I would love for this area to take off and for this development to do well, but personally I would have tried building apartments directly on the Austin bikeway, closer to Minute Maid, closer to the Bayou trails, etc. Just my 2 cents tho

3 hours ago, bookey23 said:

I guess all that is true, but I'm just a little skeptical of this portion of downtown improving in the next decade. The Astros entertainment district isn't currently expected to expand north of Minute Maid and I haven't heard about them extending the bayou trail beyond the Jose Campos Torres plaza. Also, I don't think the i45 Cap Park is going to extend this far north.

Again, I would love for this area to take off and for this development to do well, but personally I would have tried building apartments directly on the Austin bikeway, closer to Minute Maid, closer to the Bayou trails, etc. Just my 2 cents tho

Maybe they want to build it now while the land is cheap, and sell it later when the area gets more demand.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mfastx said:

Can we confirm that this is still under active construction? It looks like it's been abandoned for awhile. 

I've joked about it plenty on this thread, but it has pretty much always looked abandoned.  There is a bank of empty electric meter housings (for some or all of the individual units) in the parking garage that you can see from Jackson St. after you come off of the 59 southbound exit ramp into DT.  If they ever get meters installed into them, I'll let y'all know. 

However someone managed to tie up as much money as they have in this thing and not find more to get it up and flowing cash sooner has to be an interesting story.  Add to that the original foundation build and abandonment, and there's something really odd going on here. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...