Astroworld Plot Redevelopment News

editor

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

The Rodeo only bought part of the site (about 1/2 IIRC)

You're right.

Anyone think a City Centre type development could happen here? I think it could have too much of an industrial/suburban area feel.

What do y'all think someone would eventually do with it? Lots of land near a lot of important stuff, but now it's just kind of an awkward site.

https://my.hfflp.com/GetDocument?DT=DealDocument&ID=112147

11038998_663011059960_907824013064330086

Edited by lockmat

I don't see it happening.  Maybe before, but now that I actually live somewhat in the area I really can't see that this was ever meant for large scale development.  At least not now...  It's really a "fringe" plot - absolutely nothing to the south to speak of, nothing all that desirable (at least to developers) to the east/northeast, and a vast ocean of parking lots to the north and (now) immediate west.  Well, to the west is really more now a perennial grass parking lot with no trees and ugly storage sheds sitting there.  Some decent demographics exist in the general vicinity to the west/north but this is nothing like the City Centre site.  It does have good freeway access, great proximity to the medical center, and decent proximity to downtown.  I don't think access to NRG stadium really does much, though that potential indoor park at the Astrodome would help.  

Anyway, I think at best we get some low-rise apartments ala "Connection at Buffalo Pointe".  I seriously hope I'm wrong, but to me the fact that the rodeo grabbed ~1/2 the land really undermines the chance of getting anything decent here

Edit:  failed to mention that it does have good rail access, of course.  That should also help but this plot is still an island in a sense.  I can only see residential (low-rise apartments or more townhomes) here

Edited by OkieEric
  • Like 4

I don't see it happening.  Maybe before, but now that I actually live somewhat in the area I really can't see that this was ever meant for large scale development.  At least not now...  It's really a "fringe" plot - absolutely nothing to the south to speak of, nothing all that desirable (at least to developers) to the east/northeast, and a vast ocean of parking lots to the north and (now) immediate west.  Well, to the west is really more now a perennial grass parking lot with no trees and ugly storage sheds sitting there.  Some decent demographics exist in the general vicinity to the west/north but this is nothing like the City Centre site.  It does have good freeway access, great proximity to the medical center, and decent proximity to downtown.  I don't think access to NRG stadium really does much, though that potential indoor park at the Astrodome would help.  

Anyway, I think at best we get some low-rise apartments ala "Connection at Buffalo Pointe".  I seriously hope I'm wrong, but to me the fact that the rodeo grabbed ~1/2 the land really undermines the chance of getting anything decent here

Agreed. I think the highest and best use of the full site was amusement park. Unfortunately the amusement park chain that owned it didn't want to have a presence in the nation's 4th largest city.

The one good thing that could ever come out of this is if using the land for parking allows the parking lots around the Astrodome and NRG to be developed into something like a county fairgrounds, Houston's modern version of Fair Park.

• Like 1

i know what id build there.. and agreed, a mixed use development wouldn't really work at this location (at least not anytime in the near future), as much as we all would like. the local demographics aren't that great, and its way too on the fringe. plus whoever owns it is likely holding out for some astronomical price that doesn't make any economic sense for anyone to buy/develop, so it will likely continue to sit vacant.

You're right.

Anyone think a City Centre type development could happen here? I think it could have too much of an industrial/suburban area feel.

What do y'all think someone would eventually do with it? Lots of land near a lot of important stuff, but now it's just kind of an awkward site.

https://my.hfflp.com/GetDocument?DT=DealDocument&ID=112147

11038998_663011059960_907824013064330086

A permanent "fair" with 1 big steel roller coaster, 1 big wooden roller coaster, and then multiple rides for the less adventurous along with food and games. We could call it AstroWorld and put a lot of parking garage with like 600 apartment units/little bit of retail mixed in close to the rail.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is old news right? It sounds familiar but I can't faind Kiland in a HAIF thread.

http://thekilandgroup.com/projects/

The Kiland Group intends to build and deliver to the ever growing populace of Houston, Texas a new center of destinations created amidst a lifestyle friendly mobility solution for the needs of the business centers within the core of the City.  The Kiland Group will bring you “KILAND CENTRE HOUSTON”, an eco-urban in-fill, pedestrian-centric, transit relevant, synergistic collection of places to work, to park, to play and to live.

The first flower of the spring of  The Kiland Centre Houston will be “THE OFFICES AT KILAND CENTRE”, a high-rise example of modern office space, modern parking with amenities designed to make working there easier and less stressful than a traditional, soul-less assemblage of steel, cement and glass.  From there, The Kiland group will continue to transform a soon-to-be significant section of the City into a solution for the first, last and anytime moments of your day.

KILAND CENTRE HOUSTON is a massive eco-urban sustainable project with over 12 million square-feet of projected program. KILAND CENTRE HOUSTON will be internationally-renowned for its ground-up, environmentally responsible development.

The KiLand Centre Houston model calls for the development and sale of prepared parcels.  KGI, in conjunction with others can select from the following opportunities:

1. Hard Rock Hotel
  2. Radisson Blu Hotel
  3. World Trade Center Tower
  4. Medical Equipment & Products Expo and Suites
  5. Boutique Hotel
  6. KiLand Centre Parking Authority;
  7. Multi-family

• Like 3

yeah. that appears to be from 2012. heres a recent post (January this year) by Kiland. hmmm...

Kiland Kyham · Follow · Chairman & CEO at The KiLand Group, INC.

I have started a commercial development company with

special interest in mixed-use developments. I plan to take a 116+ acre parcel and turn in into 5 hotels, 1500 Condos, 1000 Apartments, infused with Retail, Entertainment, Restaurants and Medical Components. It is called KiLand Centre. The first one will be in Houston and will create at least 25,000 jobs in that market. I plan to duplicate that brand in 7 cities Worldwide while having ownership in everything Vertical. The Kiland Group, Inc - KGI I have currently assembling a roster of LOIs and have pre-sold the 60% of the 1st phase. I am Hiring SOM Architects for Design and Master Plans and assembling a World wide Team for this great Vision! It is my Purpose. It is My Passion! It is my Destiny! www.thekilandgroup.com

Reply · Like · 5 · Follow Post · Edited · 16 January at 10:05

The Houston Rodeo owns most of the land now so it's going to be a grassy parking lot for years to come.  Heck, they don't even pay taxes on the land since its non-profit.

For the record, the Rodeo bought 48 acres.  The AstroWorld plot contained a total of 104 acres.  That should leave 56 acres not owned by the Rodeo.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I had a crazy thought about the currently vacant Astroworld plot that the rodeo owns and parks on. What if the city, rodeo, NRG, Texans, maybe Harris County, teamed up and turned that plot of land back into Astroworld... but call it something like Rodeoworld? Think about it, it could be the most Texas'd up theme park, awesomely touristy thing around that would bring in tons of $$$ to the rodeo throughout the year (vs just the rodeo time). I'm talking a huge wooden coaster that rivals the Cyclone (maybe call it the Lone Star), an old west town, rebuild the Viper and call it the Rattlesnake, etc. It would make money for the rodeo year round, attract tons of tourists, make the rodeo even crazier during rodeo time, and could spur development around the area. What do you all think? Could something like that ever work?

Are theme parks even profitable anymore? Seems like a huge risk...

Does the name of the park contain Disney or Universal?

The way to do it is to get buy in from Disney and make a park that pairs with their movies. 

The old astroworld location is not big enough though.

Anyway, point is, theme parks are profitable if they make more than adrenaline junkies want to be there. Tie in with kids movies, tie in with regular movies. Disney use their theme parks to push their movies, and people go to their theme parks because of the movies. It's brilliantly cyclical. 

• 1 year later...

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Over-a-decade-later-Astroworld-site-still-center-10980606.php

A decade and change after Six Flags Astroworld closed for good there is still ongoing litigation regarding the property it sat on for years.

According to Law360, the request of several developers to throw out a lawsuit regarding failed development plans brought against them  has failed.

The law blog reports that last Friday U.S. Magistrate Judge Nancy K. Johnson recommended that three summary judgment motions by developers Epicentre should be thrown out.

ritish real estate investment company B Choice alleges that Epicentre Development Associates LLC misrepresented its claims to the land where Astroworld once sat. B Choice has alleged that Epicentre violated the federal RICO act and breached its fiduciary duties.

“Plaintiff has provided evidence to raise a genuine issue of material fact the representations that induced it to invest the $11 million,” Law360 quoted Judge Johnson as writing in her denial.

Judge Johnson took issue with the defendant’s claim that its fraud allegations are protected by Texas’ statute of limitations. B Choice alleges that the $11 million it gave Epicentre was to be used to acquire the land and not just to pay for an ownership interest. In July a judge ruled that Epicentre still owes B Choice some $13 million on a promissory note.

Epicentre’s legal counsel Joseph M. Schreiber told Law360 that they are hopeful a trial will clear Epicentre of any wrongdoing.

“While we respect the opinion of the magistrate judge, we also respectfully disagree. We are confident that our position will be validated in a trial on the merits,” he wrote in an email.

An earlier Law360 report from 2014 announced the initial lawsuit filed by B Choice.

In total B Choice says it is out $25 million in regards to the project which never got off the ground. Epicentre said in previous statements in court that the deal was a victim of the 2008 recession. Epicentre has also filed a counterclaim in the past against B Choice for fraud and breach of contract.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/See-what-the-Astroworld-site-looks-like-50-years-12954611.php?ipid=hpctp

The 57-acre amusement park off the South Loop closed in 2005 and was demolished, leaving  barely a trace of what was there. The site is now a large patch of grass and asphalt across from NRG Stadium, used for extra Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo parking and storage. According to Joel Cowley, the rodeo's president and CEO, the organization owns all 102 acres of the site that once housed the park

Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo officials are working up a long-term plan for the land, which could include buildings constructed on the site.

Per the article the HSLR now owns all of the former Astroworld land.  As someone who frequents that stretch of 610, it's truly uninspiring that such a large, relatively prime (and should be more so with TMC3 and other TMC developments) piece of land is now essentially used as parking for a few weeks a year.  The rest of the year an extremely small fraction houses sheds, parking shuttles, and various other pieces of equipment.  It's amazing the HSLR has so much cash they can just essentially sit on a huge tract of land that "could" have buildings someday.  I can't fault them for doing so, but sheesh that tract is ugly in its current form

• Like 4