Astroworld Plot Redevelopment News

editor

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the website you got this rendering from still up or did you have this saved in personal place?

That rendering is a few years old. I saved it to my old laptop a while back.

While the project is very ambitious, lovely, and awesome... the website says its the architect's "future vision", nothing more. I think it came out not too long after Astroworld was completely cleared out.

I think something like this should be built on the Hardy rail lines, not on the Astroworld plot. Although it could turn that neighborhood around, I'd like to see it in the Loop. But I think its just speculation.

Guys theres a video now of this developement in detail, there are two twin towers, 30-40 possibly 50 stories with spires.

The video also includes metrorail, palm trees, mid-rise towers etc.

The towers are very similiar to renderings I saw before yrs ago (Im looking for the rendering); are different than the others on the website.

(Its on the right very small)

http://crosstorian.com/southpointe

Those buildings are 30 stories. The tallest in the project is 35.

See slide No. 9 at : http://crosstorian.com/Websites/crosstoria...ePrintPics2.pdf

Is the website you got this rendering from still up or did you have this saved in personal place?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.p...p;postcount=340

That rendering is a few years old. I saved it to my old laptop a while back.

While the project is very ambitious, lovely, and awesome... the website says its the architect's "future vision", nothing more. I think it came out not too long after Astroworld was completely cleared out.

I think something like this should be built on the Hardy rail lines, not on the Astroworld plot. Although it could turn that neighborhood around, I'd like to see it in the Loop. But I think its just speculation.

...but, the site is cleared with a fence around it; a sign that includes the name of the developement and the developer's info.

Edited by UpuPUp!

Do those twin towers look like a upgraded version of Anadarko Corporate Office in The Woodlands to anybody else? This would be a great add to Houston if it gets built. This project looks out of place for Houston, but in a good way. I feel like this was something that came out of Miami. I like the new walkway from Relient park, I always felt that bridge would just fall for some reason. Great project if it gets built or not.

I don't know much, but it seems like this project is a longshot, especially in this market. If High Street, BLVD Place and River Oaks District are stalling I don't see why this would come to fruition (even after the recession).

Question for those in the industry...how much of a difference does it's location make? It's pluses seem to be that it's somewhat close to the Med Center (not too much synergy, really), it's on the loop and is next to LRT. Other than that, it seems odd to have so many skyscrapers at this one place. Who knows, maybe they just want to be the next Greenway? Also, the surrounding neighborhood isn't the best either, is it?

I don't know much, but it seems like this project is a longshot, especially in this market. If High Street, BLVD Place and River Oaks District are stalling I don't see why this would come to fruition (even after the recession).

Question for those in the industry...how much of a difference does it's location make? It's pluses seem to be that it's somewhat close to the Med Center (not too much synergy, really), it's on the loop and is next to LRT. Other than that, it seems odd to have so many skyscrapers at this one place. Who knows, maybe they just want to be the next Greenway? Also, the surrounding neighborhood isn't the best either, is it?

Lockmat, you ask the $1,000,000 question. Evidence suggests that location is practically everything. What is the real estate agent's mantra: "Location, location, location." Surely it would have been less expensive for the developer who is finishing the project at Kirby and Westheimer to build that same building "down the street," i.e. on the old Astroworld site. The logistics alone would have saved a considerable amount. But he didn't. He chose to build where he thougth he would have a better chance of selling/leasing his project.

I think it has more to do with synergy than the absolute "niceness" of the neighborhood. I cite as examples areas of the Heights where high-end exists right next to hovel. Also, in my neighborhood near the Menil, you will find $750,000 townhouses across the street from apartments that rent for less than $500/month. Yet both of these areas have the things that are attractive to both economic segments of the population. The Fiesta grocery store at the corner of Alabama and Dunlavy is a case in point. It has low prices on staples (bread, milk, etc.) but also has a decent selection of wines, cheeses and other higher-end foods.

A new townhouse development at the corner of the 610 Loop and 288, Rolgom Place, is suggestive also. The buildings look nice allthough a little more could have been put into landscaping. One can certainly argue that the location is convenient to the Medical Center, Downtown, and Greenway and the prices listed seem reasonable but it doesn't look like there have been many takers. True we are in a substantial economic downturn but this place looks virtually empty months after completion. Why? I believe it has to do with the lack of "synergy" in the neighborhood. Where is the closest grocery store? Where are the restaurants, jogging tracks, parks?

Wouldn't it be great if something could happen with the Astrodome and the Astroworld property to begin to establish that synergy? There is plenty of shopping opportunity around the Kirby/OST intersection. It is not difficult to get to the Rice Village from there either where there are plenty of restaurants, specialty shops, a sports bar, and even a theather.

I see a lot of potential. Let's hope that "actuality" happens.

• Like 1

Also someone had graffitied one of the signs prior to them putting up the rodeo parking signs. they'll probably have to reorder another one or they're just rethinking putting up the sign back up for awhile.

I think they were up 2 days...before they put up "RODEO PARKING!" then it's been blank and black sine.
Edited by Houston Texan

• 2 months later...