Astroworld Plot Redevelopment News

editor

Thoughts?

Sure, I love newbs! :lol:

Threads combined

Lauren, thanx for being on top of this.

This development looks sweet and the land is already cleared so hopefully it will go through. The only thing I dont like is that its not dense enough but it will add yet another skyline to Houston. A totally new one at that, SWEETTTTTT!!!!!

Dense enough, compare to the loss of what the HISD building plan turn out like. It better than most ideas.

But lets wait and see if this happens, of if it turns into a Walmart.

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to sound like a downer but i'm with lockmat. This reminds me of the sweet plans for the Hardy Railyard redevelopment a few years back and all of a sudden the plans are *** POOF *** GONE **** DISAPPEARED !!!!!****

I wouldn't get my hopes up for this one. Nice Fantasy though!!!

roughly how much does a developer spend to have the architect/cad/designer create renderings? with so many projects failing lately, just kind of curious what type of $ is out the window on designs/rendering

This is great news. Now Houston is going to have another W hotel. I am just about ready to burst with excitement. :o

yea, we have like 3 or 4 now!!! LA, NY, eat your hearts out! :D

roughly how much does a developer spend to have the architect/cad/designer create renderings? with so many projects failing lately, just kind of curious what type of $ is out the window on designs/rendering

yea, we have like 3 or 4 now!!! LA, NY, eat your hearts out! :D

But the view from this location is worth millions. Refineries to the east and to the south, well, nothing really. :huh:

When I was at Rock The Bayou (RTB), I was told they had the land for the next few years.

If not "Astroworld" I'd much rather have the land for fun concerts than what I'm seeing here.

I was also told they were going to try and eventually have 3 or 4 RTBs a year. A rock/Metal one, a country one, a hipity hopity one and maybe a Blues or Modern Rock one.

I think this is a prank on HAIF, swamplot & similar sites. Probably by some bored employee in an architecture firm killing time before he gets laid off.

No it's not a prank, but its not written in stone yet either. All you have to do is call their number listed on the site (713)266-9200, at least it proves its not a hoax.

This thing could work. Best view of the Skyline in the city. Uptown to the left, sweeping through with Greenway, the Medical Center, Reliant Park, and Downtown. And walking to Reliant Park? What a dream come true, take the rail into town...

When I don't post in a while, I come back and everytime I forget how many Negative Nancys there are. Maybe you've had your heart broken to many times with other projects, but this thing looks great.

• Like 1

This thing could work. Best view of the Skyline in the city. Uptown to the left, sweeping through with Greenway, the Medical Center, Reliant Park, and Downtown. And walking to Reliant Park? What a dream come true, take the rail into town...

When I don't post in a while, I come back and everytime I forget how many Negative Nancys there are. Maybe you've had your heart broken to many times with other projects, but this thing looks great.

It could work... the question is, could it work even better???

IMO the number one priority for this piece of property should be H-O-T-E-L-S... Houston has lots of office parks. Another one isn't going to make any difference to me. But if we build some classy Hotels, and decent restaurant/ entertainment options (Marquee-Reliant anyone???????), Reliant conventioneers, sports-goers and rodeo hounds will have some more fun things to do AND a rail connection to downtown, the TMC and the museum district.

If METRO were smart, they'd start bustin' their bootays to extend the Redline to Pearland (and the planned Waterlights district/Nanoville). Dreaming? Probably so. But Houston needs to start getting smart about their planning.

Edited by totheskies

Best view of the Skyline in the city. Uptown to the left, sweeping through with Greenway, the Medical Center, Reliant Park, and Downtown.

i agree that the views could be amazing, assuming they design appropriately. i strongly suggest if anyone has the time, go to wildcat golf course and check out the potential views... they really are spectacular.

That whole southeast area is known for it's oilfield related history. Just drive down Holmes Rd, pipeyards are everywhere.

Have noticed the new apartment development around the area of the train/ astroworld lot (almeda). I would think new investors/ developers (when spending that good chunk of change) wouldn't skimp on the environmental/ soil tests, surely it's a requirement.

I remember the Brio site, across from Southeast Memorial Hospital. Always heard of birth defects related to that contaminated water from that industrial site.Was very sad, you can never be too careful.

What an eerie site that neighborhood was. "Poison" signs were there in the 90's. Whatever happened to that neighborhood? Did it get bulldozed? I just remember, at one time, long pipe gates blocking the entrance streets. Lawsuits, for sure. Knew someone who lived in the 'hood to the north of it, Sageglen, which was a very nice place, in the 1980's-90's. Makes you realize, you really need to "research" an area before buying.

Am I the only one who thinks 'Southpointe' could be a prank? One could make the point that those renderings are grandiose to the point of ridiculous for that piece of land.

Sure it's not...but your hypothesis is not the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard....the project surprises me, at least

IMO the number one priority for this piece of property should be H-O-T-E-L-S... Houston has lots of office parks. Another one isn't going to make any difference to me. But if we build some classy Hotels, and decent restaurant/ entertainment options (Marquee-Reliant anyone???????), Reliant conventioneers, sports-goers and rodeo hounds will have some more fun things to do AND a rail connection to downtown, the TMC and the museum district.

If METRO were smart, they'd start bustin' their bootays to extend the Redline to Pearland (and the planned Waterlights district/Nanoville). Dreaming? Probably so. But Houston needs to start getting smart about their planning.

Someone needs to get appointed to the Planning Commission....

The South Loop and Reliant Park hotel market is decidedly downscale, and whenever there isn't a big event going on there, occupancy rates are very low. I tend to believe that office, medical office, and lab space (mostly in low- or mid-rises) is going to be the dominant use, possibly with retail centers and pad sites along the South Loop frontage, and possibly a couple of middle-of-the-road hotels. Perhaps a new garden-style apartment complex along Bellfort near where the rail is.

That's realistic for that area right now. This rendering, not so much. If that sounds boring, well it is. A developer might have more leeway to do something a little more cool if METRO could be convinced to tie in a spur to the Red Line, but my understanding is that they refuse even to allow the developer to participate in the cost of such an awesome idea.

The South Loop and Reliant Park hotel market is decidedly downscale, and whenever there isn't a big event going on there, occupancy rates are very low. I tend to believe that office, medical office, and lab space (mostly in low- or mid-rises) is going to be the dominant use, possibly with retail centers and pad sites along the South Loop frontage, and possibly a couple of middle-of-the-road hotels. Perhaps a new garden-style apartment complex along Bellfort near where the rail is.

That's realistic for that area right now. This rendering, not so much. If that sounds boring, well it is. A developer might have more leeway to do something a little more cool if METRO could be convinced to tie in a spur to the Red Line, but my understanding is that they refuse even to allow the developer to participate in the cost of such an awesome idea.

I understand that viewpoint, but good planning begats good success. If we want the Reliant complex to attract more high level events, we've got to build some more people-friendly attractions in the immediate vicinity. If a project like this had already existed, it may have made the difference in a serious contention for a Houston Olympics, and the actual bid that was just a bit better than a joke ( I know... maybe not, but just saying it's possible).

As far as entertainment venues, this place is PERFECT for a new movie theater/bowling alley/restaurant development. Look at what we have to draw from here...

-Reliant events population

-South/Southeast residents

-Medical Center and vacinity population

-Meyerland area

-Pearland area

Incorporate an "intermodal south station" by METRO (yeah, now I KNOW I'm dreaming), and you'll have a virtual gold mine on the Red line!

Yes when I think "classy", the Marquee is the first thing that comes to mind... No, on that site, it could turn sour even faster then the last one.

i agree that the views could be amazing, assuming they design appropriately. i strongly suggest if anyone has the time, go to wildcat golf course and check out the potential views... they really are spectacular.

Did you ever ride The Dungeon Drop? If you ride on the north facing side, you got lost in the view, almost forgot where I was. Then they drop ya, and almost wet my pants.

Yes when I think "classy", the Marquee is the first thing that comes to mind... No, on that site, it could turn sour even faster then the last one.

Classy=Hotels, decent=Marquee...

But hey have you ever seen the parking lot there on the weekend? They ain't no River Oaks, but Marquee does bring in the money.

I understand that viewpoint, but good planning begats good success. If we want the Reliant complex to attract more high level events, we've got to build some more people-friendly attractions in the immediate vicinity. If a project like this had already existed, it may have made the difference in a serious contention for a Houston Olympics, and the actual bid that was just a bit better than a joke ( I know... maybe not, but just saying it's possible).

As far as entertainment venues, this place is PERFECT for a new movie theater/bowling alley/restaurant development. Look at what we have to draw from here...

-Reliant events population

-South/Southeast residents

-Medical Center and vacinity population

-Meyerland area

-Pearland area

Incorporate an "intermodal south station" by METRO (yeah, now I KNOW I'm dreaming), and you'll have a virtual gold mine on the Red line!

Plan away! All the planning in the world isn't going to transform the South Loop hotel market or the surrounding demographics (South Union, Sunnyside, S. Main, Astrodome areas) into a situation that supports the kind of stuff that you're talking about. Hell, Marq-E is located along I-10 near 610, where there is better population density and better household income levels, and even they have struggled for years with high vacancy and high tenant turnover. That just is what it is, and plans must accommodate reality or face abject failure.

If you're proposing that a government entity become a financial sponsor of the project, well that may be financially, legally, and physically feasible but it would have to happen on an unprecedented (basically impossible) level. You see how difficult it is to get government cooperation on the Astrodome convention hotel? Well, we're only talking about vacant land, here. Fat chance. It is politically infeasible.

Classy=Hotels, decent=Marquee...

But hey have you ever seen the parking lot there on the weekend? They ain't no River Oaks, but Marquee does bring in the money.

I'm not saying it doesn't bring business, but from the looks of this ambitious project, it has the potential to bring even more money then what the Marquee could. Look at the plaza, show me a place in Houston, heck, the whole state of texas that looks as modern and beautiful as it does. (Ok, the arts district in Dallas doesn't count, because they're not building an opera house). But fine resteraunts and ammenities, could attract a nicer crowd then the Marquee. I know a lot of UH students who would love a safe refuge (compared to telephone rd.). And this could be it. This project has so much potential, if it came to fruitation. I would argue that this could be the best project, neck and neck with reagent square, if it was done right.

I have been watching the forum for a while now, but I had to join for this thread. Yes, this is not a hoax as I have personally meet the developers with two of my fellow classmates. The project has been in the works for a while, the website went up over a year ago (Its not new). In 2006 I meet with the developers, Mr. Angel and Mr. McIver at their offices. We developed the site for our finial project at the UH masters program and the gentlemen wanted to get an idea of what we thought of the site (They keep our model). When we meet with everyone at that point the architects of the project was SPA architecture, but it looks as if that might have changed now. I would be shocked if it got built, it will take a while after all due to the scale of the site...but considering the current economy don't count on anything soon. Currently they have not even cleaned up from the hurricane, I live very close to the site so I go by every day on my way home. I bet it will be 5 years before you see one building on the site. Below is some images of our project (note: we took the car dealship and the metro land in our school project). I have more images of our project if anyone is interested in seeing them.

-g59_i5d2z9_V8TtOO2x-IzfHKL4wxEf.jpgCJH92jqP3z-CsJxqG9UaLgeQoyGGdEkw.jpg2UXp2w5A6T-GjKyIEgPjbB_WZFva0MBV.jpg

8QazOBc27z9VG-lbbEMzdcXmXP-m5LRa.jpgxB2c63cF3j9KEjwnu7F7lA9qe-calzGs.jpg