Astroworld Plot Redevelopment News

editor

Interesting Trivia that I have no clue to the accuracy of its truthiness:

The Astroworld Bridge over 610 is the only instance in either the state or country (I forget) where a privately owned bridge was allowed over an Interstate.

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting Trivia that I have no clue to the accuracy of its truthiness:

The Astroworld Bridge over 610 is the only instance in either the state or country (I forget) where a privately owned bridge was allowed over an Interstate.

{{citation needed}}

I made that request about four years ago, but I forget the name of the guy that (eventually) handled it. The data was limited in usefulness because they only track physical boardings, not origin, destination, transfer points, LRT trip time, total trip time, or rider demographics.

One thing that was clear at the time was that Reliant Park, Rice University, and the Museum District were crappy trip generators.

Well, mine was a straightforward answer and would be an interesting update:

My question was the "projected" boardings for each station before build vs. what is current (which would give us both interesting numbers) as well as what the projected boardings for the future stations. Figured it would be a relatively easy (and somewhat inexpensive) thing for them to gather.

{{citation needed}}

Citation Not Needed.

If I could have remembered where I read that tidbit, I wouldn't have needed to include the "accuracy of its truthiness" and the (I forget).

Take it or Leave it Ricco! I don't give a damn.

Citation Not Needed.

If I could have remembered where I read that tidbit, I wouldn't have needed to include the "accuracy of its truthiness" and the (I forget).

Take it or Leave it Ricco! I don't give a damn.

Wiki

"The bridge crossing Loop 610 which connected AstroWorld to its share of the Astrodomain (now Reliant Park) parking lot was the only publicly-accessible, privately-owned bridge to cross an interstate highway in Harris County, Texas." Possibly this ...

• 1 year later...

Can anyone post tidbits of the article. Can't read much of anything without the subscription. Thanks guys.

I would but I'm not sure what the rules are. It doesn't really say too much other than what I mentioned. But it gives the idea that things could really start happening there soon. So far the language doesn't make it sound like something to be super excited about, or it could be, it doesn't really lean either way. It could just be uninspired garden style apartments and strip centers, who knows at this point.

Edited by lockmat

I would but I'm not sure what the rules are. It doesn't really say too much other than what I mentioned. But it gives the idea that things could really start happening there soon. So far the language doesn't make it sound like something to be super excited about, or it could be, it doesn't really lean either way. It could just be uninspired garden style apartments and strip centers, who knows at this point.

Lincoln Property Company? They manage a crapload of low-rise apartments just on the other side of the freeway.

• 8 months later...

Looks like EpiCenter might actually happen on the old AstroWorld plot: http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/print-edition/2012/04/20/mysterious-mixed-use-plans-surface-for.html

Vanguard Equity Holdings LLC is circulating new information about EpiCentre Houston, a $200 million mixed-used development that’s been on the drawing board for four years. A marketing consultant is lining up potential developers for the perpetual project. And 20 to 30 acres of the 104-acre site now have changed hands, sources say.
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Wiki

"The bridge crossing Loop 610 which connected AstroWorld to its share of the Astrodomain (now Reliant Park) parking lot was the only publicly-accessible, privately-owned bridge to cross an interstate highway in Harris County, Texas." Possibly this ...

Oh that can't be totally accurate because there is a privately owned bridge across this same freeway right down the street at Gulfgate!

• 4 weeks later...

For parking? Maybe it will allow them to keep their event the same or bigger but allow for the rest of their current land to be develed into the hotel etc.

More complete story http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/20341457/2012/12/13/rodeohouston-to-acquire-48-acres-of-old-astroworld-property

Edited by lockmat

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...