Astroworld Plot Redevelopment News

editor

The parking on the former Astroworld site is indispensable during the barbecue cookoff, since the cookoff takes over nearly all of the parking lot south of NRG stadium and the dome. When I went to this year's event, there were message signs reporting that the south (Astroworld) lot was totally full. During the rest of the rodeo season the lot is heavily used, but I don't know that it is critical. I also don't know if the site is used for parking for Texans games.

So any parking that is lost due to development is going to have to be replaced, presumably with parking structures. Of course that costs money, and of course those parking garages will be empty most of the time, just like the surface lot.

Since the Astroworld site has never been fully paved (although it has aggregate), that suggests to me that some kind of development may be envisioned for the future.

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we over valuing this site?

The positives are the size of the land and being close to the rail. Being close to Reliant I don't think is a huge deal. It's relatively close to TMC and downtown but so are a lot of other places to the east.

On an letter scale, isn't this more like B or B+ real estate? 

On 6/1/2018 at 0:58 PM, lockmat said:

Are we over valuing this site?

The positives are the size of the land and being close to the rail. Being close to Reliant I don't think is a huge deal. It's relatively close to TMC and downtown but so are a lot of other places to the east.

On an letter scale, isn't this more like B or B+ real estate? 

I don't think we are over valuing this site, I think it's a matter of complexity. There are a few quasi private public organizations that complicates things. I believe it's a shame such a prime piece of land sits in purgatory. 

Edited by kdog08
  • Like 2

On 6/1/2018 at 8:30 AM, OkieEric said:

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/See-what-the-Astroworld-site-looks-like-50-years-12954611.php?ipid=hpctp

Per the article the HSLR now owns all of the former Astroworld land.  As someone who frequents that stretch of 610, it's truly uninspiring that such a large, relatively prime (and should be more so with TMC3 and other TMC developments) piece of land is now essentially used as parking for a few weeks a year.  The rest of the year an extremely small fraction houses sheds, parking shuttles, and various other pieces of equipment.  It's amazing the HSLR has so much cash they can just essentially sit on a huge tract of land that "could" have buildings someday.  I can't fault them for doing so, but sheesh that tract is ugly in its current form

Good lord, that article was a mess.  They tell us that Astroworld was (a) 57 acres and (b) 102 acres. They also tell us that (c) the Rodeo owns all of the 102 acre site and (d) Metro Houston owns a portion and Davis Chevrolet owns a portion.  They apparently just threw together some random sentences to accompany a slide show.

• 2 months later...
32 minutes ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is planning something here.

I’m not a fan of the rodeo, but if they branch off into a different theme it won’t be as bad. 

https://www.click2houston.com/news/houston-rodeo-making-plans-to-develop-old-astroworld-site

Into a different theme? There was no mention of a theme park or anything remotely close. 

43 minutes ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

Different subject, not about livestock.

Hopefuly we will get something else rather than the land to be focused on cattle and horses. 

Agreed.  There's already way more than enough cow and horse manure and so forth in Texas than anyone should ever need, including at the State Capitol.

“All plans are entirely conceptual at this point, but discussions have included building an event space that would enhance our annual show and provide a year-round presence that could serve multiple purposes, including educational exhibits, committee meeting space, fundraisers and event locations,” Cowley said.

Mister McKinney is in the business of promoting Houston history. He believes an educational component is critical because it’s something that will connect with families, giving a whole new generation a chance to make new memories.

“To be able to redevelop it into something the public can enjoy would actually be a good thing, beyond just a parking lot,” McKinney, of Historic Houston, said. “And with the new dome experience that's going to be happening in that space, the re-purposing of the Astrodome, the 8th wonder of the world, to be able house different things in there, too. Hopefully the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo puts something here that complements that.”

13 hours ago, lockmat said:

“All plans are entirely conceptual at this point, but discussions have included building an event space that would enhance our annual show and provide a year-round presence that could serve multiple purposes, including educational exhibits, committee meeting space, fundraisers and event locations,” Cowley said.

Mister McKinney is in the business of promoting Houston history. He believes an educational component is critical because it’s something that will connect with families, giving a whole new generation a chance to make new memories.

“To be able to redevelop it into something the public can enjoy would actually be a good thing, beyond just a parking lot,” McKinney, of Historic Houston, said. “And with the new dome experience that's going to be happening in that space, the re-purposing of the Astrodome, the 8th wonder of the world, to be able house different things in there, too. Hopefully the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo puts something here that complements that.”

A waste of space.  This area could have used a mixed used development.  

4 hours ago, Timoric said:

Is there a need for a very nice suburban style 300K SF Retail Strip center right there to serve the Med Center, Rice, and all that stuff? With all the good stores people want

Meyerland Plaza pretty much serves that purpose. 

On 8/14/2018 at 6:49 PM, lockmat said:

A multi-purpose venue? Could partner up with the other tenant (Texans) and have the venue be an indoor practice facility for training camp. Add HQ buildings for both HLSR & the Texans, maybe add a hotel, and some retail & restaurants near the Fannin South rail stop and you could turn this plot of land into The Star in Frisco. 

https://3q87le1gsko01ibim33e4wib-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/the-stars.jpg[/img]

On 6/1/2018 at 9:35 AM, MaxConcrete said:

The parking on the former Astroworld site is indispensable  

Indispensable? What did they do before this was a parking lot?

What do other cities without an abandoned theme park do for parking? 

This thing is the most convenient and cheap option but it is far from indispensable. NRG is on the rail line. The more urban (expensive) solution would be parking structures near the rail line. But with cheaper parking so close to the park if these structures are built they won't be utilized unless Astroworld parking is no longer available. 

BTW, there is quite a lot of developable land south of 610. Lots of industrial sites and virgin land.

Heck NRG can stand to convert some of the surface parking to garage. I know that the norm for football is vast lots for parking.  But this sport complex is in the middle of the city. It's not like Gillette in foxboro or Hard Rock in Miami Gardens. The better examples are Mercedes-Benz Stadium and Mercedes-Benz Superdome. Both are in a more urban location with a lot less surface parking. There are lots of potential around NRG but little incentive 

On 8/20/2018 at 4:54 AM, Timoric said:

The sum of the parking spaces there are right up there with some Disney lots as comparable to worlds largest parking lots

Really? 

That's my point again. Disney is located in proximity to many municipalities but it's not in the middle of the 4th largest municipality in the country and along a a heavy economic stretch that is the Fannin South to UHD. 

Like I said it is a convenient patch for parking but it is such a poor use considering how the area has blossomed. Looking at pictures of the area when the astrodome was built, the area was very out of the city in looks. 

I have a feeling though that the treed areas and industrial sites south of the Astroworld plot will be developed more before that location is used for something other than parking. Justification? See downtown Houston

• 2 months later...