phttp://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2015/12/15/river-oaks-shopping-center-might-add-residential.html

Houston-based Weingarten Realty Investors (NYSE: WRI) is considering adding mixed-use components to its existing River Oaks Shopping Center.

Some of the options Weingarten is considering include a residential component, additional retail and structured parking, as well as improved pedestrian walkability and enhanced public spaces. However, the company said the plans are still very preliminary.

“If an option evaluated is feasible and a definitive plan is approved, we will make an official announcement,” Gerald Crump, senior vice president of leasing for Weingarten Realty, said in a statement.

• Like 7

Back when plans for redeveloping the River Oaks Shopping Center were first mooted (leading to the Barnes & Noble building) there was a diagram floating around that showed a residential development where the River Oaks Theater is.  I wonder if that is still what they have in mind.  

• Like 1

Back when plans for redeveloping the River Oaks Shopping Center were first mooted (leading to the Barnes & Noble building) there was a diagram floating around that showed a residential development where the River Oaks Theater is.  I wonder if that is still what they have in mind.  

The article says this component would be on the North side of W. Gray where Sur La Table, Local Pour and  Brasserie 19 currently are.  

• Like 3

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/columnists/sarnoff/article/Weingarten-River-Oaks-Shopping-Center-plans-6705313.php#photo-9126069

On Tuesday, the company said it is planning more changes. This time Weingarten officials are focused on the north side of the property along West Gray between McDuffie and Driscoll streets. The changes could include adding residential units, more retail space and parking.

"We've started engaging architects, and we're talking to various vendors," senior vice president of leasing Gerald Crump said in a phone interview. "We've had some tenant conversations over the last several weeks of what we could potentially do out here."

The company called the new plan "very preliminary."

n 2007, Weingarten demolished the building on the center's northwest corner to make way for a bigger structure, which is now anchored by Barnes & Noble. The company also added a multistory parking garage in the back.

The new development was one that drew the ire of historic preservation groups that already had concerns about losing their beloved River Oaks Theatre.

If Weingarten intends to demolish any parts of the center, it will have to notify the city's Houston Archaeological and Historical Commission because the property is designated as a historic landmark.

But even if the commission disapproves of the plans, Weingarten could still move forward after a 90-day waiting period, said David Bush, acting executive director of Preservation Houston.

Crump said Weingarten does not take the community's concerns lightly and would communicate its plans to residents as it gets closer to finalizing its plans.

Based on a preliminary timetable, the new development could be completed as early as 2019.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Weingarten Expands River Oaks Center Footprint with Acquisition 

Weingarten Realty has made a property acquisition in the River Oaks area that will allow it to expand its redevelopment plans for its iconic River Oaks Shopping Center.

The Houston-based real estate investment trust purchased the Pier One store at 1935 West Gray.

"The property will be part of the future redevelopment of the River Oaks shopping center," according to a company statement released Tuesday with information on fourth-quarter transactions.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Drew tells us everything is on the table. The company is considering a residential component, office space, parking options and landscaping improvements (don’t worry, removing there are no plans to remove the palm trees).  The residential component would probably see more empty nesters than Millennials, considering the area, Drew says.

Weingarten is always looking for ways to modernize the iconic shopping center, Drew says, even when those improvements whip up controversy. The company's exploring ways to connect the north and south sides of the complex. They’ve considered an elevated crosswalk, but that idea never got off the ground—literally. The distance across the road is too short; the span would be too steep to walk comfortably. An underground tunnel would likewise have a number of obstacles. Discussions continue.

Kroger is being remodeled, no surprise since Drew says supermarkets are a bright spot in Houston's Goldilocks economy: OK, but not great. Weingarten’s grocers average an outstanding $602/SF in sales, Drew tells us.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/retail/drew-alexander-dishes-on-river-oaks-shopping-center-and-the-end-of-the-universe-57600?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

More properties acquired  for redevelopment 

http://m.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/Weingarten-announces-Q4-earnings-and-River-Oaks-10949152.php

Weingarten Realty Investors said Tuesday that it purchased two free-standing buildings next to its River Oaks Shopping Center "that will facilitate planned future redevelopment."

The buildings were mentioned in the company's fourth-quarter earnings release, where Weingarten reported quarterly net income of $44.1 million, or 34 cents per share, down from $47.3 million, or 38 cents per share, for the same period in 2015.

• Like 4

Weingarten is always looking for ways to modernize the iconic shopping center, Drew says, even when those improvements whip up controversy. The company's exploring ways to connect the north and south sides of the complex. They’ve considered an elevated crosswalk, but that idea never got off the ground—literally. The distance across the road is too short; the span would be too steep to walk comfortably. An underground tunnel would likewise have a number of obstacles. Discussions continue.

I know I must be looking straight at it, but for some reason it escapes me... Can someone tell me why people can't just walk across the street there?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

I know I must be looking straight at it, but for some reason it escapes me... Can someone tell me why people can't just walk across the street there?

Lol! Since the redevelopment would likely include a second story, they could just... you know, span the two. Likely where there are to be stairs and elevators in place already?

People cross Westheimer in Highland Village all the time. All ages, all incomes, all times of day.

• Like 4

Kroger is the only place I frequent in that area, and I normally ride my bike down Clay to Woodhead to get there. Too many parking lot entrances and cars darting all over the place. I actually had to go to JosABank and Kroger this last weekend and walked in between. Just a few stores and a parking lot apart. I almost got run over several times and watched people valet for Sunday brunch when they could have parked 50' away. Between the size of the parking lots, number of entrances, fast left turners coming off Gray, and the unfortunate nature of all the people around, not many people walk in that center. I think it will take more then an elevated crosswalk to change the way people move around the whole center.

• Like 3

skwatra is right. I've seen people drive from the North side to the South side just to shop. Seriously. When I lived on Elmen I used to walk to the River Oaks Theater but that was in the 90s and there was also a theater at West Gray @ Waugh. Saw Mars Attacks there after a bowl. Never laughed so hard in my life. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Mab said:

There will be one less of those turrets, which is a win.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

skwatra is right. I've seen people drive from the North side to the South side just to shop. Seriously. When I lived on Elmen I used to walk to the River Oaks Theater but that was in the 90s and there was also a theater at West Gray @ Waugh. Saw Mars Attacks there after a bowl. Never laughed so hard in my life. 

A bowl of cereal? Lol 

• Like 3

except no one walks around there! I'm telling you people drive from one store to another within the same parking lot.

The people that live in the neighborhood do. I walk to Kroger, Buffalo Bayou Park, River Oaks Theatre all the time and I see my neighbors out walking quite often.

Edited by jgriff
  • Like 4