• 1 month later...

A lot of us could utter a general "Told ya so!" at this point, but there would be no satisfaction in it. I had fervently hoped that Weingarten Realty would surprise everyone. I have no idea what I must have been smoking when I thought that. dry.gif

An article about bookstop closing and moving to the new building.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/heights/news/6558890.html

After stating that they have no plans to redo anything else and are fine with the status quo, the Weingarten rep delivers this gem...

“We're very healthy there and very excited about what's going on there,” Harvey said.

“If you disregard the new development section, almost every space in the shopping center is taken.”

From the article:

The decision is less about sales than about offering more at the new store.

"We're able to add a full range of services that we couldn't retrofit into an old building like this."

Is this a joke?

The new store brings more books, music and DVD sections, an expanded children's area and a full-service Barnes & Noble Café

They are bringing a coffeeshop. To the notorious West Gray and Shepherd corner with a Starbucks across from the Starbucks. What is wrong with these people??

Oh good grief. Did the Chronicle just have Weingarten's PR department write the article for them?

The new store brings more books, music and DVD sections, an expanded children's area and a full-service Barnes & Noble Café to the well-heeled neighborhoods that surround it.

Manager Jacques Oppinger, a native of the Inner Loop community, envisions a shared customer base and media tie-ins with the neighboring River Oaks Theater.

“Operationally, it doesn't bear much resemblance to what we usually have,” he said.

“The decision is less about sales than about offering more at the new store.

“We're able to add a full range of services that we couldn't retrofit into an old building like this.”

What exactly are the "new services" that weren't in the old Bookstop?

This is really a shame, because old movie theaters are extremely difficult to redevelop and keep their historic character. Even if the structure itself survives it is unlikely to end up resembling anything like it is now.

Oh good grief. Did the Chronicle just have Weingarten's PR department write the article for them?

What exactly are the "new services" that weren't in the old Bookstop?

This is really a shame, because old movie theaters are extremely difficult to redevelop and keep their historic character. Even if the structure itself survives it is unlikely to end up resembling anything like it is now.

For those of us keeping score at home, it looks like they took a building that was near 100% occupancy, and replaced it with a building that they can't get filled up. Suffice to say the plans for the rest of the center are on a long hold.

• Like 4

The new store brings more books, music and DVD sections, an expanded children's area and a full-service Barnes & Noble Café

They are bringing a coffeeshop. To the notorious West Gray and Shepherd corner with a Starbucks across from the Starbucks. What is wrong with these people??

Louis Black did an entire bit on those particular Starbucks being across from each other. Adding a coffee shop to the Barnes & Noble just makes it more comical.

For those of us keeping score at home, it looks like they took a building that was near 100% occupancy, and replaced it with a building that they can't get filled up. Suffice to say the plans for the rest of the center are on a long hold.

Maybe there's a lesson here about greed and brazen disregard to the pleas of the communities in which you operate. And maybe fewer people (myself included) will patronize those shops out of spite for Weingarten and their decimation of a local landmark.

• Like 3

Are they trying to? Because they really need an inner loop location. I don't know what they were thinking with their placement.

I had alway heard early on that they weren't in the loop simply because the rents were too high for them. This would certainly provide them with a great opportunit to jump in but I wonder if their business model can work with a single screen? I'd love to see this place turn back into a real theatre of some kind.

Lol...it's the end of the universe times three...

http://comedians.com...of-the-universe

Of course, the real end of the universe must exist on the corner of Post Oak and Westheimer where, if we count the Starbucks in the Galleria (at least 2 that I can think of), you have FOUR on one corner.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

An update from the GHPA -

River Oaks Shopping Center changes compromise Art Deco design

Weingarten Realty Investors is installing corner turrets, taller parapets, sandstone elements and larger signs on the historic River Oaks Shopping Center (1937, 1948) on West Gray at South Shepherd. The alterations, pictured above, are changing the profile of the Art Deco landmark and compromising its low, streamlined design. The work is being carried out on all of the historic buildings in the center except the River Oaks Theater (1939).

In 2007, Weingarten Realty demolished one of the distinctive curved sections of the original shopping center. The extended height, new signs and, particularly, the sandstone detailing are in keeping with the appearance of the new Barnes & Noble wing built on the site of the demolished historic building.

River Oaks Shopping Center is a designated City of Houston historic landmark. Houston Archaeological and Historical Commission denied a Certificate of Appropriateness for this project, but Houston’s historic preservation ordinance allowed the City to issue permits for the work after a 90-day waiting period.

Amendments to the preservation ordinance eliminated the 90-day waiver in designated City of Houston historic districts. Individually designated landmarks that are not in historic districts can still be altered or demolished after 90 days. River Oaks Shopping Center is not located in a City of Houston historic district.

Click here to see photos of the River Oaks Shopping Center before the alterations.

post-939-0-59120100-1303940137_thumb.jpe

• Like 1

I have a question, is the River Oaks Theater in those thumbnails recently posted? Or does it still kind of sit by itself...somewhat, awaiting an uncertain fate?

I haven't visited that area in a while. I run across the postcards of the original River Oaks Shopping Center streamlined design quite often.

• Like 1