Hopefully the course is making enough money to pay for it's own upkeep. I haven't played there in about 4 or 5 years. I liked the old layout better. When the clubhouse and number 1 tee was up by the zoo. They used to share the same parking lot. They redesigned it I believe in the 80's. I like old courses like Herman and Sharpstown because they are good walking courses. Newer courses are not designed for walking. Of course I only play about 5 or 6 times a year. I don't even keep score. I just enjoy relaxing and being outdoors. That's the way golf should be played. Some people take it way to serious.

Google Earth historic imagery says the new clubhouse was built between 1995 and 2002. My guess is closer to 2002. I seem to remember it wasn't that long ago.

Google Earth historic imagery says the new clubhouse was built between 1995 and 2002. My guess is closer to 2002. I seem to remember it wasn't that long ago.

That could be. I played it in the mid 80's and then not again until 02 - 03. Now that I think of it the clubhouse was fairly new when I played around 10 years ago.

Not sure what this is meant to imply, but I'm guessing you're pointing out that the Houston Zoo is smaller in area than many other zoos in the country.

Yeah, it's not the biggest zoo - but it is efficient and has a large assortment of animals. And, it's well-visited. Is larger better? I'm not sure...

I always liked the idea of the Zoo taking over the golf course. Maybe leave the edges as a part of Herman Park.

I'm not a golfer so I really don't care for the course much.

• Like 1

It's so funny this topic showed up because I was thinking the same thing about the golf course a few weeks ago! Anyway, I could only come to the conclusion that the golf course is probably being set aside for some kind of future expansion of the zoo though I really do like the idea of a Botanical Garden. IMO, I think any redevelopment of the course will more than likely have a green function, whether it be a future zoo expansion, botanical gardens or a Discovery Green type park.

Edited by intencity77

There are already two other municipal golf courses inside the loop -- Memorial Park and Gus Wortham. Both of these are in more appropriate locations for a low-density/intensity recreational activity.

Hermann Park is in the very core of the city, adjacent to the very dense TMC, a major university, the tourist destination Museum District, and served by fixed route transit. I have been on the train hundreds of times and have never once seen a person carrying a set of golf clubs, despite the fact that the three stations servicing Hermann Park are heavily used. Yet, we've allocated 125 acres of prime urban park to this use. When the Hermann Park Golf Course was first laid out in 1922, it was a legitimately suburban area.

What is it that you don't think Hermann Park is already doing that it should be doing? Why is extra space needed when Hermann Park's non-golf area is already large and well-used?

• 1 month later...

72 hours in Houston: "Let's check out the Discovery Green!" Blood relations were puzzled but complied.

What a very nice space. It definitely softens up the convention center and is a good spot for the "Monument au fantome" (thanks, Google). The nearby hotel guests must be pleased to have somewhere to walk. Is there a peculiar public/private funding mechanism? - because it doesn't seem to be managed by the city. The grounds were nearly immaculate. Lots of children were splashing; I didn't splash because Mother was taking me to a place called "Tiny Boxwoods" for lunch but I understand the allure of splashing, having splashed just in the past month in Rapid City, SD, Trinidad, CO, and Waco. (You'll find, on a road trip, that other people don't mind pulling over to let you splash because it gives them a chance to fiddle with their iPhones.)

That said, DG seems distinctly like a tourism or chamber of commerce initiative. It's a fine use of a city block, but it would never have occurred to me to even speak of it in the same breath as Hermann or Memorial Park or, regarding Waco, Cameron Park, which is hands down the best urban park in the state.

• 3 weeks later...

The golf course serves as a continuom of a cultural imperative. It's not for the masses, but for the masses to aspire to and the few to demonstrate by example. It's like the sport of fishing - not about catching any fish, but taking the time to exercise and think while casually occupied. Golf is far more about a positive social experience rather than manicly slamming the bejeesus out of a little plastic ball then anxiously praying it will miraculously seek a hole. I miss the stables and bridle path that used to allow one to relaxingly canter among the oaks around the park. I enjoyed feeding the ducks while picnicing and climbing all over the locomotive that once rested there when an embryonic Houston was far more bright potential than contemporarily conjested delima.

The best use of that land is preserving a public course where small groups of communicating people engage in social interaction and problem solving outcomes while comfortably recreating rather than hordes herding with blaring iDevices shouting into multi cell phones while trampling everything in sight.

The golf course serves as a continuom of a cultural imperative. It's not for the masses, but for the masses to aspire to and the few to demonstrate by example. It's like the sport of fishing - not about catching any fish, but taking the time to exercise and think while casually occupied. Golf is far more about a positive social experience rather than manicly slamming the bejeesus out of a little plastic ball then anxiously praying it will miraculously seek a hole. I miss the stables and bridle path that used to allow one to relaxingly canter among the oaks around the park. I enjoyed feeding the ducks while picnicing and climbing all over the locomotive that once rested there when an embryonic Houston was far more bright potential than contemporarily conjested delima.

The best use of that land is preserving a public course where small groups of communicating people engage in social interaction and problem solving outcomes while comfortably recreating rather than hordes herding with blaring iDevices shouting into multi cell phones while trampling everything in sight.

Eloquent and incredibly condescending. Bravo!

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With the growth of Houston and popularity of Hermann Park growing every day, traffic and parking at the main lot for the zoo is a nightmare and growing worse. Just the other day I witnessed two fights in the parking lot from people arguing over who gets the next open spot (with kids and everyone looking on).

This is one of Houston's true destinations for tourists as well, and the current parking (and irrate behaviour due to lack of) is pathetic and should be addressed. I know some may not like the idea of a garage and would prefer to keep the park as natural as possible, but it is a serious problem and you cannot expect visitors from out of town to ride the rail, figure out where they can park in a med center garage, etc. There is no worse image to visitors than coming to our zoo and seeing fights in the parking lot and driving in circles waiting for a car to leave.

Are there any long term plans to build a parking garage here? If not, who would be the responsible party for making this happen?

• Like 1

I've noticed this too - parking can be a disaster, especially on the weekends. Would have been nice to put in an underground garage under the new centennial gardens, similar to the garage under discovery green.

Once the gardens are finished it should open the parking back up to where people can street park in the neighborhood to the north and the walk over won't be as far.

Part of the problem is people are generally more willing to drive around for 20+ minutes for a parking spot rather than park slightly farther away and walk an extra 1/4 of a mile.

Edited by aarosurf

I've noticed this too - parking can be a disaster, especially on the weekends. Would have been nice to put in an underground garage under the new centennial gardens, similar to the garage under discovery green.

Once the gardens are finished it should open the parking back up to where people can street park in the neighborhood to the north and the walk over won't be as far.

Part of the problem is people are generally more willing to drive around for 20+ minutes for a parking spot rather than park slightly farther away and walk an extra 1/4 of a mile.

Yep. I see that too. I usually just park a little further away, requiring an extra 3-4 minute walk but probably a time savings overall, since I don't have to wait for a line of cars to figure things out. Only on rare occasions do I have to find a spot much further away.

Would have been nice to put in an underground garage under the new centennial gardens, similar to the garage under discovery green.

haha, when i saw the title of the topic this was my very first thought too.. though the Centennial Gardens arent very centrally located, they could of built a train stop (the Hermman Park mini train, not light rail) next to it or something. they definitely missed out on that opportunity. an above ground garage wouldnt look very nice unless they did some serious landscaping and had big bushy trees surrounding it and maybe vines growing over the exterior walls or something to hide the hulking mass of concrete.

true. TBH i completely forgot about that garage as i always park on the street or in front of the entrance when i go to HMoNS.. at least that garage is tucked into the structure of the museum. i was thinking more along the lines of them turning one of the zoo lots into an imposing garage in the middle of Hermann Park. i guess they could at least make the lots 2-3 stories without the structure sticking up above the tree line much. and like i said previously, vines covering the exterior of the garage would do wonders.

Here's the truth; people are LAZY.

There is plenty of parking at Hermann Park. There's the zoo lot, the golf lot, on-street parking, medical center garages, and museum district garages. There's also the easy option of parking anywhere in Midtown and taking the train. 

I find it amusing that people would rather circle in their cars for half an hour waiting for a spot rather than walk 10 minutes when their final destination is a f'in park.

Hermann Park is our city's crown jewel. We'll have spent around $100 million on the park/zoo/miller by the time this 100th birthday is done and you want to add a parking garage? 

No thanks. It's time to change our culture. Parking cannot continue to be a "right" in Central Houston.

• Like 7