• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Do we have any idea about the timeframe for any of the improvements? Do they have funding? I'm assuming not because I can't find any announcements.

I've kinda eagerly been awaiting this, and the only thing I've seen are little signs saying keep off the grass cuz new stuff is being grown there, and this new stuff is part of the future they are building. Or something like that. Either way, doesn't seem like much is going on. 

• The title was changed to Hermann Park
On 12/1/2021 at 11:16 AM, X.R. said:

Do we have any idea about the timeframe for any of the improvements? Do they have funding? I'm assuming not because I can't find any announcements.

I've kinda eagerly been awaiting this, and the only thing I've seen are little signs saying keep off the grass cuz new stuff is being grown there, and this new stuff is part of the future they are building. Or something like that. Either way, doesn't seem like much is going on. 

I thought that the dog park was first in line with a groundbreaking next year. There have been a bunch of signs put up describing “The Commons” in that area.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Hermann Park, Midtown, Minute Maid Park
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, hindesky said:

The new $46.5mil transformation of the 26 acre Commons area of Hermann Park.

https://www.papercitymag.com/culture/hermann-park-houston-commons-plans-new-green-space-play-area-kids/?city=Houston

From the article:  "Groundbreaking is April 2 and the project is expected to be completed in 24 months, weather cooperating."

• Like 1

At one point, I recall some discussion around closing down this stretch of Fannin through the park?  Or at least in one direction adjacent to lightrail line?  That green space next to Palmer church is very underutilized, but has some great trees.  It would be great to see them add some parking there in exhange for reduced traffic along Fannin.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hindesky said:

I think this is great idea. It's the least used section of the whole park due to it location but they need to magically create a parking area for young families that is close by.

I'm not sure that Hermann Park needs to attract even more cars.

I was down there on Sunday during the kite festival, and parts were absolutely gridlocked.  I think some of those families were trapped in their cars for over an hour trying to park.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, editor said:

I'm not sure that Hermann Park needs to attract even more cars.

I was down there on Sunday during the kite festival, and parts were absolutely gridlocked.  I think some of those families were trapped in their cars for over an hour trying to park.

Indeed.   That is common on nice weekends.  Every time I see it, I am more thankful I can walk to Hermann Park...   Part of the master plan is to try to reduce traffic IN the park by creating more parking around the edges of the park.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Maybe a multi level parking garage in the slice of land between Main St. and Fannin with a pedestrian crossing across Fannin. When I was biking around the park police would often limit any more cars from entering on busy weekends because there was no more room.

sG2HyG4.png

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 11:03 PM, Houston19514 said:

From the article:  "Groundbreaking is April 2 and the project is expected to be completed in 24 months, weather cooperating."

So I'm assuming the park's improvements have been mostly funded if they had an event to celebrate it and its being reported by local media? I know their website had something to the effect of "join the donation efforts today" or something like that.

Their non-splashpad kids equipment in that space is old, but even so, one the weekends its packed to the brim with kids. But you don't see as many bday parties like you do at Levy, so I think that speaks to maybe the parent's feeling that the eating space isn't up to snuff in that regard. This improvement would make it the best kids park area in the loop, probably. Hermann is still my favorite park in the city since theres a bit of everything for everyone: good playground, ducks/geese, the train, Japanese garden, the rose garden, paddle boats, ginger Kale for food, the hill that everyone exercises on, jog track, link to the bayou for cyclists, etc. All that will get supercharged with this addition, and Hermann can't let Memorial get that land tunnel and do nothing 😅

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hindesky said:

Maybe a multi level parking garage in the slice of land between Main St. and Fannin with a pedestrian crossing across Fannin. When I was biking around the park police would often limit any more cars from entering on busy weekends because there was no more room.

sG2HyG4.png

expanding that lot and adding better (and maybe more) pedestrian crossings is definitely part of the plan.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2022 at 4:52 PM, hindesky said:

sG2HyG4.png

That's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure that would work or makes sense.  It's a fairly narrow strip of land except right by the church.  And what street would would people enter on and exit to?  Also, I think it would take away from the aesthetics between Rice and the Park.  In my view, there is plenty of parking in the various hospitals nearby.  The issue is that obviously costs money, and most people want to park for free.  (Of course there is also the rail, but that's too much work for most people.)  

• Like 2

People in Houston are spoiled with princess parking.  Like others have said there are several garages nearby, street parking a couple blocks away, and a light rail stop.   Maybe they should have parking fees on all the lots and tie to the fees to park maintenance and improvement.   

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Houston photo: New Additions To Hermann Park
  • 1 month later...

Man, I appreciate the working thats been done but 2024? Doesn't that seem a bit slow? Memorial built a land bridge in a two year span, meanwhile at Hermann it looks like they've mostly just moved dirt around and cleared stuff away and its been closed for most of this year. Just feels like Memorial got deeper pockets to get things done.