Main Food Store At 1101 Main St.

eelimon

9 minutes ago, cspwal said:

A small thing, but did anyone notice if the clock still was working?

I was wondering the same thing. The timestamps on my photos are between 5:12 to 5:15 pm, so if we know when other people took photos we could figure out if the hands moved at all. 

30 minutes ago, cspwal said:

A small thing, but did anyone notice if the clock still was working?

You're thinking that maybe it was under that wall telling time for 50 years?

43 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

Jesus Saves 8 percent on Stationary Printing at First Baptist Church

Stationery?

• Like 1

^^^ and that's how the power of the internet can be used for good. i bet someone could start a gofundme or crowdfunding campaign to help get this restored, assuming the city or someone else w the funds available doesn't simply step up to the plate. hell, if i'm an adjacent property owner i'd give consideration to this. a historical restoration would do wonders for the property and who knows could lead to a repurposing to something other than seedy convenient store (no offense to Mr. Iqbal). i'm sure the current incarnation is a cash cow for him, though, so who knows.

either way, at least there's some hope.

• Like 8

It might be in Midway's interest to buy this since it is sort of a gateway to Greenstreet. They could make Mr. Mohammed an offer he can't refuse. Or whoever finally redevelops the Sakowitz building might want to make this a part of their development.

The article above references this article (link below) about slip-covered buildings on Main Street. It appears there is another treasure waiting to be uncovered at 901 Main. The building next door to it at 905 was restored to a very attractive appearance.

https://houstonhistorymagazine.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/unmasking-main-street-shipcovered-buidings.pdf

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Was downtown today and I was awestruck at what is now visible!  Sadly if it is true that it will be covered up once again, any architecture buff should make the trip to see this.  The terracotta, sculptures, figurines or whatever they are called are so beautiful and seem to be pretty much intact.  Perhaps the covering actually protected it.  They were power washing it today.  This (1101 Main) is not the Dollar Store that had the fire last week, that was the Dollar Store at 901 Main.  Another clarification,  the modernization with slip covers on some of the older buildings on Main did not occur in the 80's, it was more like the late 60's/early 70's.  Examples were the original Carter Building at 806 Main (now JW Marriott Hotel).  I can remember in the 1970's the building that now houses Holy Cross Chapel (905 Main) had a godforsaken ugly, tacky gold metal cage like covering with an even tackier picture of the San Jacinto Monument plastered across it.  I believe the tenant of the building at the time could have been San Jacinto Savings or something like that?  The original Krupp & Tuffly building from 1929 at 901 Main (the Dollar store fire last week) was absolutely gorgeous before it was "modernized with the blank covering.  Check out how it originally looked: http://www.houstondeco.org/1920s/krupp.html  If it's neighbor (now Holy Cross Chapel) could have been restored then why not 901 Main (unless last week's . fire made it no longer salvageable) and of course 1101 Main which we are now seeing what is underneath.  I agree with what "dbigtex56" said - Can't the Landmark Society or Downtown District (or whatever those entities are called) approach the owner? Perhaps financial incentives could be made...or, permits denied?  Maybe if the public outcry is strong enough?  Or is this just wishful thinking of myself just like "dbigtex56"

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kbates2 said:

This store just needs to close, it’s a huge blight.

When it comes to businesses, people vote with their feet and with their pocketbooks.
Obviously, this store is filling the needs of enough people to pay the overhead and make a profit, so it's doing something right. Why do you want to deprive their customers a place to shop?
Also, it's not big enough to be a huge blight. It's just the right size blight. I dislike downtowns that have become so slick and sterile that they resemble 80's shopping malls. It's nice to see something that's still a bit gritty and real.

• Like 6

It's not their customers as much as their loiterers.  If a liquor store opens - cool - if it has customers who get hammered outside and pass out and yell at other customers/pedestrians - not cool.  This store tends to be closer to the latter in my example.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...